IGNORED

XEGS Replacement Power Switch

mimo

I've managed to bring one of my XEGS's back from the dead (New RAM and CPU) but the power switch is seized in the off position. Has anyone managed to repair one of these switches? If not any ideas where I could find a replacement, preferably in the UK?

Is the TK-II-XEGS available from anyone other than the brewing academy? It's going to cost about £40+ whatever customs duty to get one over here, and I don't want to spend that much

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Could be something like this?

https://www.radioshack.com/products/spdt-pushbutton-switch

I did a Google Image search for 'spdt push button switch'.

could be, you did better than me with google today, just need to find one closer to home. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, larryleffaovell said:

Definitly farest away and would take some weeks do deliver, but no or less shipping costs at aliexpress

Thanks, but that says on-on , do I not need on-off? excuse my stupidity I'm not electrically trained 

Just now, flashjazzcat said:

Be careful not to order something with a plunger that's too short to reach the underside of the power button on the case.

Thanks

Not sure if this is possible.... but if the switch is on/on and the problem is due to the one set of contacts the Atari is using for the on (of on/off), then it could be desoldered and reversed so the other internal on switch (normally unused) is being used.  This would only work of course if the failure is due to the contacts of the current 'on' side of the switch failing.... and not if the mechanical toggling of the two positions is the cause of the failure.

Just an idea to throw out there.  You could use a DVM to check conductivity of the two poles in the alternating switches to see if the other (unused) side is still working and toggling.... if so, you should be able to reverse the switch that is already there.

My XEGS switch will probably go... as you literally need to push it all the way down, and it almost has a time delay to toggle the internals of the switch.  I only use it so much, so not enough for me to dig up a replacement, tear it all apart and replace it.... I'll do that once (if) it actually fails :-).

You could possibly look for an older PC power button. They should work the same and might even find the correct height. I did same thing for an older record player I refurbished. Used a PC power switch that was almost perfect. Had to sand the tip down ever so slightly to fit the original button cover.

OR spray the crap out of the switch with electronic "safe" cleaner and see if it cleans out the switch. Might be gunked up with dust.

Edited by NISMOPC

Most PC (back from the AT era) on/off power buttons were usually DPDT push on/push off and when on would not return all the way out.  Plus the pins would be on the wrong end of the switch.  Most ATX systems used a momentary switch which was usually an SPST momentary switch.  The XEGS uses a SPDT push/push switch (push on1/push on2).

That is not to say there isn't a PC out there that migt have used a switch like this, but it would have probably have to have been an AT class PC and I have a lot of experience with those and have never seen anything like this.... but certainly might have been possible (though not sure if the amp rating of a switch like in the XEGS would be enough for a PC ???? never looked into that).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cwilbar said:

Not sure if this is possible.... but if the switch is on/on and the problem is due to the one set of contacts the Atari is using for the on (of on/off), then it could be desoldered and reversed so the other internal on switch (normally unused) is being used.  This would only work of course if the failure is due to the contacts of the current 'on' side of the switch failing.... and not if the mechanical toggling of the two positions is the cause of the failure.

Just an idea to throw out there.  You could use a DVM to check conductivity of the two poles in the alternating switches to see if the other (unused) side is still working and toggling.... if so, you should be able to reverse the switch that is already there.

My XEGS switch will probably go... as you literally need to push it all the way down, and it almost has a time delay to toggle the internals of the switch.  I only use it so much, so not enough for me to dig up a replacement, tear it all apart and replace it.... I'll do that once (if) it actually fails :-).

unfortunately the switch is solid, absolutely no movement in it

Not sure who made the one in the Atari, but back in the day I believe that CK made a series of switches like this, and generally they were of good quality.  I have no idea if they are still made and of the quality from years gone by.

Too bad that one is stuck solid.  Have you tried spraying a bit of contact cleaner on the shaft and trying to work the shaft up and down to see if will free up at all ?  I'm guessing it is not likely, but might be worth a try.

8 hours ago, selgus said:

I have a bunch of power switches I've pulled for multiple XEGS motherboards, and you are welcome to one of these, if you like. I am located in the USA, so would need to ship it internationally, but if you just cover the shipping, its yours.

B

That is very kind, yes please. I'll message you later 

Mike