IGNORED

3 button joystick ?

Danjovic

Did somebody have played 7800 with a standard 2600 controlles + (omega race's) booster grip?

That's what I have in mind, to be compatible with 2600 (that I own) and maybe compatible with 7800 (that i don't own).

Or in other words is there any use for a 3 button controller for 7800?

That's more or less what I have in mind.

image.png.6eb20ce7544234c7d077fee922a99f55.png

Thanks

The booster grip would use one of the lines that is used for one of the 7800 buttons, so you won't get 3 buttons out of that.

3 buttons is possible, but would require a non-standard solution with custom code, so less attractive. e.g. a lightly modified genesis controller could provide all button input.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RevEng said:

The booster grip would use one of the lines that is used for one of the 7800 buttons,

wouldn't the booster grip provide 2 active high lines (at pins 5 and 9), just like 7800?

7 hours ago, RevEng said:

a lightly modified genesis controller could provide all button input

The thing is, I am working on a Sega Genesis to Atari 2600 adapter that provides a fire button signal on pin 6 and two extra buttons (active High) at pins 5 and 9 just like omega race boost grip, and started to wonder if such adapter would also be useful for 7800. 

30 minutes ago, Danjovic said:

wouldn't the booster grip provide 2 active high lines (at pins 5 and 9), just like 7800?

In your original post, it seemed like you were asking if the booster grip could be used with the 7800 controller. I get now that you're talking about a custom controller using pins 5,9, and 6. It's possible, if you keep the console in single-button mode, rather than the native 7800 2-button mode.

34 minutes ago, Danjovic said:

The thing is, I am working on a Sega Genesis to Atari 2600 adapter that provides a fire button signal on pin 6 and two extra buttons (active High) at pins 5 and 9 just like omega race boost grip, and started to wonder if such adapter would also be useful for 7800. 

The full genesis protocol is available just by swapping two pins and adding a resistor between them, so you can get 4 buttons (a+b+c and start) or even 7 buttons with the (woefully named) 6-button genesis pads.

The fact that there's no software (either for my or your scheme) is where the problem is, so I'm not sure where the demand for the device would come from. It's not a big technical hurdle to add buttons, it's driving the adoption.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Danjovic said:

Or in other words is there any use for a 3 button controller for 7800?

That's more or less what I have in mind.

The only game I can think of that could use three buttons is Double Dragon but some has to hack that game to make work with three buttons.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RevEng said:

I'm not sure where the demand for the device would come from

Its primary function is to be at the same time a Genesis adapter for 2600 with booster grip incorporated. At a certain point I realize that it might work for the 7800 too, but as I am not familiar with such system.

If 3 buttons were ever been used on 7800 - either in original games or in hacks/homebrews -  that would affect the circuit and the firmware (it is a microcontroller project). And that was the reason of my poorly elaborated question. ?

But anyway, I am doing this for fun, and the demand is for 1 unit (lol), nevertheless I should share the project just in case someone else is interested.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:54 AM, Danjovic said:

Its primary function is to be at the same time a Genesis adapter for 2600 with booster grip incorporated. At a certain point I realize that it might work for the 7800 too, but as I am not familiar with such system.

If 3 buttons were ever been used on 7800 - either in original games or in hacks/homebrews -  that would affect the circuit and the firmware (it is a microcontroller project). And that was the reason of my poorly elaborated question. ?

But anyway, I am doing this for fun, and the demand is for 1 unit (lol), nevertheless I should share the project just in case someone else is interested.

I suppose it is fun work on the hardware but like I said, somebody needs a make some hacks. I already mentioned Double Dragon. Another one I can think of is Karateka. The controls on that one are pretty awful. Another one I guess could be Xenophobe.