IGNORED

I completed my 7-year quest to play Thieves’ Guild!

Kirkman

travel-side-by-side.png

Some of you have probably seen posts from me over the years trying to work out how to play Thieves' Guild using its graphical front-end client ... over telnet, inside an emulator, etc. So many failed attempts!

But at last I have done it. I finished the game! And I'd like to share with you the fruits of my seven-year labor.

Please check out my blog post: https://breakintochat.com/blog/2020/09/15/thieves-guild-memories/

It's a deep deep dive into the game, chock full of screenshots, videos, and more.

ALSO -- I have saved the source code for the game! Paul Witte has given me permission to share it with the community.

Edited by Kirkman
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  Saving the source code is a feat in itself.  Now I'm going to have to play it (and win it). ;)

Of course I have to fix the games on my BBS first. :(

BTW... Did get your email.  I'm trying to get my games back online (which requires me getting it back working on the Mega STE).

37 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Wow!  Saving the source code is a feat in itself.  Now I'm going to have to play it (and win it). ;)

Of course I have to fix the games on my BBS first. :(

BTW... Did get your email.  I'm trying to get my games back online (which requires me getting it back working on the Mega STE).

Yes, I'm so excited about that!

I even made a discovery in the source today that I hadn't noticed before -- Paul had a commented-out "insta-travel" feature that apparently was intended for use in a CompuServe demo, which corroborates what he told me about CS negotiating to license the game.

I hope the games fall into place. Having finally set up a barebones private BBS on my own Mega STe so I could play TG, I can appreciate the difficulty involved.

Also, check out my interview with Paul Witte, who wrote Thieves' Guild, and his friend Herb Flower, who made all the art for the graphical front-end:

https://breakintochat.com/blog/2020/09/15/paul-witte-and-herb-flower-creators-of-thieves-guild/

They met at a Utah Atari users group, where Witte was blown away by Flower's submission in a NEOchrome art contest. 

"It was these swirling purple clouds and stuff," Witte said. They later incorporated that image into the ending of Thieves' Guild.

portal-to-earth.png

On 9/17/2020 at 3:52 PM, MrMaddog said:

So this also works using Hatari as well as a real ST?

Yes, the “Thieves Guild emulator” can be run inside Hatari, but you’ll need a telnet->serial connection, either by hardware (WiFi modem or Lantronix) or software (tcpser). 

FWIW, I recently updated my tutorial on using tcpser and socat on a Mac. https://breakintochat.com/blog/2020/09/03/tutorial-telnet-to-a-bbs-using-a-terminal-program-in-the-hatari-emulator/