IGNORED

sdrive max

joe Rodrigues

i just received my sdrive max and at starting it on my 600xl it kept going to the ready prompt weather i tried to load it from d0 or drive 1. its been 30-35 years since i had the atari systems and really don't know much but playing games i messed up and would like to know if anyone can help. I screwed up and went into the config section and hit a few buttons and  know it comes on the blue light starts on the D0 then moves to D1. from here i can't do really anything . tapping around sometimes it will go to the ready promp on the sdrive and i can get it back, thats when i hit the D2 option. i sometimes get to the cfg option but can't do anything there and can't even get out have to cut it off and plug it back in. I know it's my fault but can anyone help. i also have a 7800 , xegs and 2600 systems. just wanted to try all the other games i don't have  theres plenty out there

Thanks Joe

On 9/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, joe Rodrigues said:

i just received my sdrive max and at starting it on my 600xl it kept going to the ready prompt weather i tried to load it from d0 or drive 1. its been 30-35 years since i had the atari systems and really don't know much but playing games i messed up and would like to know if anyone can help. I screwed up and went into the config section and hit a few buttons and  know it comes on the blue light starts on the D0 then moves to D1. from here i can't do really anything . tapping around sometimes it will go to the ready promp on the sdrive and i can get it back, thats when i hit the D2 option. i sometimes get to the cfg option but can't do anything there and can't even get out have to cut it off and plug it back in. I know it's my fault but can anyone help. i also have a 7800 , xegs and 2600 systems. just wanted to try all the other games i don't have  theres plenty out there

Thanks Joe

Most of what you need to know can be found on @Mr Robot’s wonderful site:  https://atari8bit.net/tutorials/de-re-sdrive-max/

More specifically, if you have the disk image you want to boot loaded up on D1:, and don’t have the “D0:” configuration disk loaded, the thing will act pretty much like any Atari disk drive - so to boot a game, for instance, you usually want BASIC disabled. Some games do this automatically in their boot process but the best habit to get into is to press OPTION during boot, which will disable BASIC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mimo said:

how much RAM does your 600xl have? I'm not sure but I believe it will need more than 16K to run disc images from SDrive_max

To check the RAM, boot without any device attached which should give you a READY prompt. Type PRINT FRE(0) and hit return and if the number is less than 16000 you have a 16K machine.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have looked at the De Re SDrive-Max page and I'm still not clear what is the difference between

SaveIm (Save images) and just plain old

Save

Does Save save the configuration options? Save Images saves the images I have in the slots currently? Is that it?

Also, how do I set things up if I want to use a real physical 1050 as D1: with the SDrive-Max as the D2:?

Thanks!

Dave