IGNORED

Do you consider text adventures as video games?

bluejay

16 hours ago, mr_me said:

Right.  Playing frisbee isn't a video game but it is a game even without score or winners and losers.  But regarding text based or video based interactive stories, is there enough game play to be called a game?

Most text adventures are have puzzles. Solving them gets you closer to your target, which is "winning" or "completing" the game. Making a good map and guessing the vocab are also a part of the challenge. The fiction layer may be brief or verbose, but underlying mechanics are still the same.

But what is video graphics? Take a game like Rogue, Hack, NetHack which in its most primitive forms use ASCII in forms of vertical and horizontal bars, dots, letters and numbers. Additional colours if the system supports those. Sure it is more graphically oriented than a plain text adventure, but still it doesn't use any graphics symbols designed specifically for the game or even general purpose graphics, whichever those would be (filled diagonals, quarter blocks, rounded corners, card playing symbols, filled circles etc).

Ascii graphics is graphics.  Now if the game doesn't depend on that graphics being displayed on a video display; I'm thinking of some of the early star trek games that plot a map on a paper terminal; than you might not consider that game a video game.  Rogue needs a video display.

Edited by mr_me