IGNORED

SIO socket - new, from an injection mold

Sikor

10 hours ago, dash_rendar said:

looks great. Are other colours possible? to change the SIO-Sockets in the XE-Series to "XE-Grey" ? Ahhh, price?

Other colours? No problem - for 2000+ pieces ;) It's no possible "xe grey" in manufacture when I do it (hmmm... It is possible, when I buy 2000+ kg of ABS... it's too expensive for me).

Price? I don't calculate it yet... Soon all wiil be known...

5 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Are they compatible with U1MB?

Hmm, maybe :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Are they compatible with U1MB? :)

And errmmm, are they compatible with 65816 and/or  65802  ?

But maybe you can make them incompatible with mapRAM, since A8 with available extra extra large RAM at $D000-D7FF is no longer an Atari...

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, OmaOhneBH said:

I love injection molding! ❤️

Upcoming Fujinet SIO Network Adapters should be like this!

It's too expensive to me for now... I'll must sell over 2000 pcs I think to get money invest in form.

Ok, on photo is some SIO sockets waiting to mounting own pins ;) I got it while ago :)

SAM_2646.JPG

• Like 8

On 10/16/2020 at 4:06 PM, Sikor said:
On 9/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, OmaOhneBH said:

I love injection molding! ❤️

Upcoming Fujinet SIO Network Adapters should be like this!

It's too expensive to me for now... I'll must sell over 2000 pcs I think to get money invest in form.

Of course I wrote about FujiNET cases, SIO is ok for all Atari SIO PCB's of course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, we got them!

The pins are a bit too hard and they cannot be bent perfectly - the next package I will order a bit softer, you can see everything in the photos. The promotion lasts for the next two weeks - the price per item is 4USD / 3.50EU, then the regular price will be 5USD / 4.50EU, plus shipping. You can buy a maximum of 5 slots in the promotion, then the sale will be limited to inventory.

SAM_2671.JPG

SAM_2672.JPG

SAM_2673.JPG

SAM_2674.JPG

SAM_2675.JPG

• Like 5

I've always wondered why Atari didn't use an off-the-shelf connector instead of spending a goodly amount (in those days) to create a custom plug/socket system?  Weren't there were DIN or other connectors that would have worked?  (It did for the ST, didn't it?)  Any thoughts or info on this?  Maybe in the whole scheme of the project this would have been "small potatoes?"

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

I've always wondered why Atari didn't use an off-the-shelf connector instead of spending a goodly amount (in those days) to create a custom plug/socket system?  Weren't there were DIN or other connectors that would have worked?  (It did for the ST, didn't it?)  Any thoughts or info on this?  Maybe in the whole scheme of the project this would have been "small potatoes?"

Just my opinion, just like many companies (and they continue to) Atari wanted the connectors to Specifically be proprietary.  That way they could control things, what peripherals could be used with their computers.  Mostly they wanted you to stick with Atari-branded I/O devices.  Selling the computer is one thing, but all the other stuff that connected to it, thus allowing it to be more than a game machine, well there is the money.  Yeah others (INDUS GT, etc.) would adopt the SIO, but not a whole lot of companies. It the same reason they controlled the technical notes for its systems and never gave credit to software authors (other than APX), more money.  All companies do it, even today.  Cisco with their proprietary connectors comes to mind.  

• Like 2