IGNORED

Poll: Best US off-the-shelf NES Arcade joystck

NES's best off the shelf fight stick.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Best constructed stick?

• NES Advantage
    • Beeshu Superstick (and I use left stick)
    • Beeshu Superstick (even if Advantage were right stick)
    • If only Advantage had right stick....
    • Other (specify in comments)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A lot of people on a certain fighting games enthusiast websites says the NES Advantage was a better constructed joystick than the Beeshu SuperStick.  I thought the Beeshu was automatically better because it was the only one that had what I was looking for a right-handed fightstick, a back then they were called joysticks because they weren't specifically for fighting games and yes I try to use a joystick in every game that doesn't require either a analog joystick or pad ergonomics. (Shoulder buttons).

Since very few people understood my pain on that website about having to get a custom stick for the Sega Genesis just to be able to play Street Fighter 2 New Challengers and way more people understand it at atariage just because of the fact that way more if you had their childhood arcade quarters plunked before the crash.

The question I'm try to figure out is whether or not the only Advantage the Beeshu had was right handedness.

I receive you primarily play video games with left stick if given a choice you have a choice between the NES advantage and the Beeshu Superstick.  I assume most people who preferred right stick bought a Beeshu.  but I'm trying to figure out how many left-stick people preferred Beeshu because the Beeshu was constructed better than the advantage.  plus how many people that were right stick wish they had a right stick version of the advantage because they thought that had the better construction but thought Ergonomics trumps construction.

Most people on at fighter site didn't even mention the word Beeshu until I brought it in that site's vocabulary.  They thought the only option was Advantage or import.  I left the option for any other joystick you thought was the best construction.  I severely doubt any of the other pretenders got as high marks as Advantage or Beeshu, but there are all types of people in the world otherwise there wouldn't be a need for custom joysticks even in the 90s when I had to go to a handicap goods place in California to get it made.

I've tried a few and they're just sloppier so I prefer the original.  Recently though I did get a screwball PC to NES conversion of the old classic Quickshot and that's an interesting one as it's more for flight games which the system has very few of, but it does work as a decent joystick too and suction cups down nicely.

18 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

The thing I hate with the above choices the clicking sound.  My shinsei Hyper Stick does not make clicking sounds.

Couple questions.

Is the shinsei an off-the-shelf us model or was that an import?

Now the question is is clicking noises a good thing or a bad thing?

Funny thing is on the dragon punch website a clicky joystick is considered a good thing, giving you audio and tactile feedback, but they lamb basted my joystick, the Beeshu even though that has clicking sounds.

Goes to figure, you're just used to what you're used to.

I really liked the Advantage, I had a friend who owned one and a copy of Xevious and let me tell you it felt like I was playing the arcade version (in spite of it being a left hand stick).

I had a Beeshu joystick (not Superstick) but it wore down real quickly.  If the Beeshus had better construction quality then I would use them for shooting games where I'm more comfortable using a right hand for moving the joystick.

On the 2D scolling platformers like Super Mario, my brain was already trained to use the left hand stick even on the Vs. arcade version...

On 9/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, Austin said:

BattlestationII_MD.jpg

Battlestation II. Great stick. Came with multiple adapters out of the box to work with a variety of platforms, including the NES.

I noticed the button contours are right for the blue joystick to be used with the left set of buttons for right hand stick.  Unfortunately don't get two player mode that way.  see if that joystick can be used for one player right hand. 

and what other systems do they have adapters for or any of them 2600 intellivision, ColecoVision, Bally, 5200, 7800, Master System?

nexstick_large.jpg

The Generation NEX Wireless Arcade Stick gets my vote.  I bought a Generation NEX and the stick in a deal back at a Midwest Gaming Classic. I wanted the console after a fairly glowing review from an episode of "Retrogaming Radio" that it was designed pretty well. The thing was junk and smelt like it was burning on the inside.  The stick itself, however, is pretty awesome.  You need Messiah's wireless dongle for the NES as the stick didn't come with it and the Generation NEX had wireless built in.  It's a solid stick that played great.  

I traded that Messiah stuff years back but acquired the stick with the dongle a few years ago.  Still is great but this particular stick has a couple manufacturing flaws I have to clear up-some buttons get stuck. I think I have to widen the button holes in the wood to get them to work but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, MrMaddog said:

I really liked the Advantage, I had a friend who owned one and a copy of Xevious and let me tell you it felt like I was playing the arcade version (in spite of it being a left hand stick).

I had a Beeshu joystick (not Superstick) but it wore down real quickly.  If the Beeshus had better construction quality then I would use them for shooting games where I'm more comfortable using a right hand for moving the joystick.

On the 2D scolling platformers like Super Mario, my brain was already trained to use the left hand stick even on the Vs. arcade version...

About left stick training...  You might be able to play rates stick if you haven't had too much time left stick and you have the buttons back right.

Beeshu thought most games had a main fire button and an auxiliary button.  Since the main button is your right index finger when the sick is Left-Handed it'll be your left index finger when the stick is right here.  One of the problems with the Sega Master System joystick is that it's not meant that way so therefore you're going to do a lot of middle finger pumping pumping the one button on the left hand side with your left hand.

Be sure you had it right for most games flip the buttons.  But there's a few games where the Sega Master System setup would work and I don't think any games take advantage of it it's where left and right refer to a physical left or right like Side Arms or Tutankham.  Sidearms is actually backwards on the turbo graphics 16 Beeshu joystick because most other games conform perfectly.

But I've taken all that I've learned and I'm trying to design a joystick that puts that many years of experience of searching and complaint solving into it.   What I've learned a printed on my website Sinistersticks.com .  Hopefully sometime soon I'll stream on Twitch with my fight stick.

• 3 months later...