IGNORED

Micro Mainframe Ahead of its time?

toddtmw

I was looking at PDF's of Antic (As one does) and came across this ad for Micro Mainframe. The device itself isn't too overwhelmingly interesting, but the part at the bottom where you can use a TRS-80 Model III as an Atari Disk Drive emulator? Did that ever actually ship? Has anyone seen one?

I mean, I especially like the part where they say you can use your Model III as an Atari Floppy for only $90. (You know, plus the cost of the Model III...) :)

407220753_ScreenShot2020-09-17at8_30_41AM.thumb.png.027600b3098c2d8f42797bed97987fe3.png

105997128_ScreenShot2020-09-17at8_30_59AM.thumb.png.45062f039da30ad66af62073b1c39398.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

It doesn't sound like it uses it as a floppy emulator, but actually uses the Model III floppy drive as an Atari floppy drive.

I'm sure that's probably what you meant, but it's an important distinction.

Well, yeah. I'm comparing it to the SIO2PC devices we have now. The Model III was seen by the Atari as a Disk drive. Sure, it wrote to files on the Model III floppy drive, but that is because that was the storage the Model III had. An SIO2PC could read and write from a floppy drive attached to a modern Windows PC and would be doing the same thing.

I'm just impressed they even thought to try it and wondered if they ever actually sold any of them.

It sounds like the TRS-80 will read & write Atari formatted disks, so you can use a commercial disk, or you could write to a disk on the TRS-80 and then read the disk on another computer with an 810. 

The SIO2PC presents itself like an 810 (or other drive) but reads & writes the data to it's own disk architecture.  Even if you still had a 5.25" floppy drive, you couldn't move the disks between the Atari & the PC.

If the disks truly were portable between the Atari & TRS-80, that would be pretty slick!

• Like 1