IGNORED

Slither 'drift'

coleconut

Didn't see this topic covered previously, there are discussions on the Turbo drift where the vehicle won't just drive straight even if the steering wheel is not moving. No my question is about a similar behaviour in Slither using the roller controller. Not having played it in a while, I connected a roller controller and launched Slither. The shooting character started to drift in one direction until I put my hand on the roller ball then moving the character was fine and responsive.  Taking my hand off the ball, it would drift again. Not always the same direction, sometimes could be N,S,E or W.  Thing is  I don't remember this happening in the past at all so thought this controller itself was at fault. Switching over to joystick mode and playing Centipede, it didn't happen.  So curious about this, I proceeded to test 3 different roller controllers on two different CV consoles using 3 different Slither carts - it happened every time.  So I could conclude this is normal and as a result of how Slither is programmed but invite feedback from others as to whether this happens with you or not, thx 

I don't have any advice, but I'd be interested to hear the answer, too.  The quadrature scheme used by each axis should prevent anything like static or noise from causing problems like that.  How strange.  That's amazing that it's so repeatable!  I've never seen this with my CV + Roller Controller + Slither combination.

How much force is required on the ball to prevent the motion?  Is it only the slightest touch from a finger tip (like a touch-sensitive lamp)?  That would indicate some electrical fishiness.  Otherwise, if it takes more force, that would point to something mechanical.

Do you have both controllers plugged into the Roller Controller's pass-through ports, or only one?

I happened to buy another roller controller at an estate sale on the weekend and plugged it in and it did not exhibit this behaviour.  So now I will try the other controllers I have and try to narrow it down to what is happening here.  Just a thought though, all the controllers that exhibited this phenomenon all have one thing in common.  I had opened them up to clean them - blow out dust, clean ball with windex, clean the rollers of built up gunk, nothing deeper than that. So maybe my issues were self-inflicted somehow?  I will report my test results in a little bit.