IGNORED

Best Plain Old TI BASIC Games (w/MP3)

ballyalley

39 minutes ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

Found a game in mp3 and "voc" file (https://sites.google.com/site/theosbazaar/Home/free-download---public-domain/Lasdef.rar?attredirects=0&d=1). How do you convert mp3 in ti99 file?

Need to convert it to wav to be used in Classic99 or one of the tape converters (CS1er or Tape99/4a.)

I like to use SoX or ffmpeg for my conversions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

I converted the mp3 file to wav, both in mono 8bit 44100 format for cs1er and in wav 16bit for classic99, and neither works.

Just had a look.  Ugh.  These are pretty terrible, digitally.  They are already 8-bit and only 11kHz.  Technically speaking, we should be able to successfully get data from them even at 8kHz, but the conversion utilities only work at 44kHz.

Possibly, your best bet is to feed these files directly into a TI console and re-work the samples.  I do not expect it to be impossible to get data from these files, just gonna take some work.

EDIT: I converted the MP3 to 16-bit WAV at 44.1kHz, then ran it through a couple of rounds of noise reduction (there is an underlying buzz in the audio,) then amplified the output.  That got some response from CS1er, but no good data results.

EDIT2: ooooo it also has an ugly negative DC bias on it.

• 11 months later...
On 10/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, ballyalley said:

I found a description of Froggy in the TI-99/4a Software Directory:

https://archive.org/details/tibook_ti994a-software-directory/

408031A Froggy

Maneuver a leap frog across ten lanes of automobile traffic. Then, with great skill and timing, leap from log to randomly moving log until all five frogs are safely across the crocodile stream. Sprite action is fast and controllable by keyboard or joysticks in four directions. Score and high score of the day are kept. Great action with music and sound.

Peripheral Requirements:

Disk drive and controller or cassette recorder and cable are required.

Extended BASIC cartridge is required.

Wired remote controllers (joysticks) are optional.

EXTENDED SOFTWARE COMPANY

11987 CEDARCREEK DRIVE

CINCINATTI, OH. 45240

TEL(513) 825-6645

Disk/Cassette

----------------

Thanks goodness that OCR exists, otherwise this information would simply not be easily found, or, perhaps, found at all in the giant mess of the Internet.

Adam

Omg omg I wrote Froggy, I’m the author :)

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Andy Green said:

Omg omg I wrote Froggy, I’m the author :)

Nice of you to drop into this forum, Andy.  I just played your game under emulation using MESS and I took these three screenshots:

Froggy_TI-994a_01.png.d784b80132c11d744ffb5f31c83859e7.pngFroggy_TI-994a_02.png.f56da62308562ee90ef0e8a6e1579e4c.pngFroggy_TI-994a_03.png.e16e6e0f38f408c995d3c6de6b8e48b9.png

I got my one frog across the street and then across the river.  After that, my game ended.  Froggy is a simple little game.  I like that it isn't too fussy with jumping from log to log.  If you're close to the log, then you make the jump just fine.

Andy, please tell us about "EXTENDED SOFTWARE COMPANY."  What other games did you write and release?  How long did the company last?  When was it founded?  When did it end?  Were all the games written in BASIC?

Adam

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any tips/recommendations for getting one of these MP3 files onto tape so the TI can read it please?

In particular I'm trying to make a tape of Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle

I've used various tape decks with various cables and various volumes and in Adventure I get errors like "no data", "corrupt data" or it tries to read pass the end of the tape or it reads for 15 secs and says it's done when it isn't

I only have an old intel MacBook and a MacBook Air M1 for playing the files these days

(I even resorted to trying a C64 tape deck in the USB port, but that didn't work)

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Does anyone have any tips/recommendations for getting one of these MP3 files onto tape so the TI can read it please?

In particular I'm trying to make a tape of Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle

I've used various tape decks with various cables and various volumes and in Adventure I get errors like "no data", "corrupt data" or it tries to read pass the end of the tape or it reads for 15 secs and says it's done when it isn't

I only have an old intel MacBook and a MacBook Air M1 for playing the files these days

(I even resorted to trying a C64 tape deck in the USB port, but that didn't work)

Many thanks

high volume.. your mac may not be high enough, add an amp

remove all eq settings and push up treble 

18 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

high volume.. your mac may not be high enough, add an amp

remove all eq settings and push up treble 

I tried everything I could (with what I have available here) and didn't get anywhere

So I've worked out how to use EA and the adventure editor to load an adventure from a dsk image and then save it to tape (and it loaded back into adventure ok)

All I need to do now is find a dsk image of Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle and I should be ok to create a tape from it (got all the other tapes/manuals/carts for adventures 1 thru 14 but not been able to get Claymorgue yet at a reasonable price)

I posted this info elsewhere but I am too lazy to go digging for it.

The TI expects speaker-level input on the cassette port.  Your computer audio output ain't gonna cut it, or is barely going to cut it.  When I used my phone, I had to increase the volume of the file itself, avoiding clipping, then combine both left and right channels together for the TI to "hear" it.

When using my laptop, a Dell, same thing, but I used VLC to play the file and set the equalizer to "Reggae."  I found better success using a USB audio device (cheap Chinese one for like $1.50 on eBay.)

The best option is an amp which will take your headphone or line-level output and up it to run a speaker.  You can probably build a dedicated one cheaply enough.

Godspeed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I posted this info elsewhere but I am too lazy to go digging for it.

The TI expects speaker-level input on the cassette port.  Your computer audio output ain't gonna cut it, or is barely going to cut it.  When I used my phone, I had to increase the volume of the file itself, avoiding clipping, then combine both left and right channels together for the TI to "hear" it.

When using my laptop, a Dell, same thing, but I used VLC to play the file and set the equalizer to "Reggae."  I found better success using a USB audio device (cheap Chinese one for like $1.50 on eBay.)

The best option is an amp which will take your headphone or line-level output and up it to run a speaker.  You can probably build a dedicated one cheaply enough.

Godspeed.

Ok, many thanks

the odd thing was that the tapes I was creating were louder than original tapes but I guess the quality was lacking somewhere 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Not sure, but I thought you might like...

GAMES20.ZIP

This disk lets you run the ADVENTURE interpreter, from EXTENDED BASIC, instead of from the ADVENTURE COMMAND MODULE.

I'm confident that it requires 32K.

at the *READY* prompt, type:

RUN "DSK1.LOADA"

...Not sure that it needs to be in DRIVE #1.

Thanks, will take a look

40 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Ok, many thanks

the odd thing was that the tapes I was creating were louder than original tapes but I guess the quality was lacking somewhere 

I tried plugging the ti directly into the MacBook, set speaker balance to left at max volume and chose reggae on the equaliser and it actually loaded a game. But a lot of it was corrupt when I listed the program. So close to working, but I’ll definitely need some kind of amp.

9 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

The 4A's, READ routine, has reasonable error detection/correction. Maybe you tried to load an XB, program into TI BASIC.:ponder:

DOH! That was a bit stupid of me

It loaded fine from the M1 MacBook using XB (though the EQ I'm using is Full Treble rather than Reggae as I thought)

When I save to tape instead, that still gives data errors but have a small amp device coming today so will try writing to tape with that

Many Thanks

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

DOH! That was a bit stupid of me ...but have a small amp device coming today...

Aw, that's too bad...:| When I do it... It's always somebody else's fault!:-D

Glad you're makin' progress!:cool: Bare in mind, that most of the portable tape players of the day, put out <1 Watt. Pumpin' in more than a couple Watts, might result in a well-done dinner!🍽️ So, don't crank your ghetto-blaster up past 5!;-)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Aw, that's too bad...:| When I do it... It's always somebody else's fault!:-D

Glad you're makin' progress!:cool: Bare in mind, that most of the portable tape players of the day, put out <1 Watt. Pumpin' in more than a couple Watts, might result in a well-done dinner!🍽️ So, don't crank your ghetto-blaster up past 5!;-)

Thanks.

Haven't managed to get anywhere with the amplifier (even risking max volume and max gain). The tape still error's as corrupt or no data depending on the settings I use.

The MacBook only works occasionally as a source, so must be right on the edge of working/not working. Have tried both tape drives I have.

Am at a loss now. Would of been nice to be able to make some tapes from the mp3's but it's not the end of the world I guess

52 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Haven't managed to get anywhere with the amplifier (even risking max volume and max gain). The tape still error's as corrupt or no data depending on the settings I use.

More is not always better.  Even TI's branded cassette tape drives had a marker at about 8 of 10 on the volume, and about mid-range on the tone.  You will need to play a little to find that sweet spot.

28 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

More is not always better.  Even TI's branded cassette tape drives had a marker at about 8 of 10 on the volume, and about mid-range on the tone.  You will need to play a little to find that sweet spot.

I hadn’t noticed those marks, have been running mine at just about full volume. Just tried loading an original tape with volume/tone set to the marks and it loaded ok

Will try and do some more tests with the mp3’s tomorrow thanks

• Like 1