ballyalley

Best Plain Old TI BASIC Games (w/MP3)

TOMPUTER Cassette Software

Tested - they load fine

The LIGHTHOUSE WITH SAVE CS1 mp3 should be loaded first if you want to save a game to CS1.

I don't know why the LIGHTHOUSE1 doesn't have this feature.

CASTLE OF DEATH.mp3 CHICKEN.mp3 LIGHTHOUSE1.mp3 LIGHTHOUSE2.mp3 LIGHTHOUSE WITH SAVE CS1.mp3 MONKEY KONG.mp3 SHOOT IT.mp3 THIEF.mp3

• Like 4

Sounds like all you really need is a small linear amplifier with a built in stereo->mono plug adapter. 

You could probably get away with using one of those "Indoor use" photocells like they use to run calculators, to power the amp.

... maybe [mention=25598]arcadeshopper[/mention] will someday offer a TI cassette cable for Android phones?  (Play only needed).
Maybe but you will probably say it costs too much

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Amazon has an amplifier...

Do not know if it would be fit for function here or not, but it does have a nifty knob.  Put a standard Stereo->Mono plug on, and maybe bob's your uncle?

The bigger issue would be the whole "The TI's cassette grounding situation leaves an open ground loop that introduces god awful buzzing" problem.  Basically, the ground line leading off the microphone is not properly connected to the audio circuitry of the TI.  I found that you need to bridge the tips of the speaker and microphone leads to use the TI's grounding, and get agreement, to silence the buzzing.

Maybe that stereo->Mono breakout plug would be sufficient, if it connects the tips of the channels?  Then you could connect speaker and microphone of the cassette cable, and then route that into the amp, then use a patch cable to the phone?

Edited by wierd_w

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

Maybe but you will probably say it costs too much

I dunno until I get a quote.  I understand the components are the cheapest part, the time it takes to assemble them is not free... and then there is shipping.  But yeah, considering it's more for the novelty "toy aspect" and is not really needed, I probably wouldn't want to go over $15.00 shipped, especially since I'm not even sure my phone will work.

As stated in an earlier post I use a device called a BOOSTEROO. it is a simple headphone amplifier. That is what I have used to test each and every MP3’s I’ve put up here. 

• Like 2

Revisiting this, I see that I only connected one channel to the white "speaker in" line (nasty twist tie affair) and then just completely grounded out the red "mic out" line to the composite video output of the phone.

I later built this contraption.

1 hour ago, sparkdrummer said:

As stated in an earlier post I use a device called a BOOSTEROO. it is a simple headphone amplifier. That is what I have used to test each and every MP3’s I’ve put up here. 

I wanted to check it out, but everywhere I went it was discontinued.  Thanks though.

Yeah, I figured. It’s too bad, very simple device and it works good to check the MP3’s. 

4 hours ago, sparkdrummer said:

Yeah, I figured. It’s too bad, very simple device and it works good to check the MP3’s. 

I know that all of the talk here about loading this "media" is about amplifying the signal and using MP3 players, but keep in mind-- it's not as simple or portable-- but it works in my case without any problems: I just use the straight audio-out from my laptop without trouble.  Alternatively, I guess that there must be a TI tape archiving program that will allow conversion of these mp3 files to perfect WAV files that can be loaded without any issues at all.

Adam

@ballyalley You should have no problems with MP3s versus WAVs unless you are talking about the capabilities of playback devices.  But anymore everything can play MP3s.  MP3 compression does not cause any degradation in signal so far as the TI is concerned; nor d AAC, AMR, or 8SVX, for that matter.  WAV is fine for, say, archival purposes or for essentially unadulterated recording, but unnecessary.

As for "a TI tape archiving program that will allow conversion of these mp3 files to perfect WAV files":

ffmpeg -i game.mp3 -c:a pcm_s16le game.wav

or if your installation of SoX supports MP3:

sox game.mp3 game.wav

The problem we usually face is the signal level from the device, and maybe equalization.  The TI expects the input to be speaker-level, which is fine for most devices for use with headphones.  However, since we humans love loud stuff, devices and most sound cards limit the headphone output to help prevent hearing damage.  Some devices work better than others.  For example, cheap $.99 USB audio devices I bought to use with my Amigas will put out a better signal than the built-in audio in my laptop. YMMV.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-21294537

https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/Workshops-and-Seminars/safelistening/Documents/Standards_for_safe_listening_devices_situation_analysis_report.pdf

I have thrown the idea on my roundtuit stack to get a good sample of what exactly these audio devices do to our audio to be compliant, or to just suck.

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Yay.. more China crap...ok I'm out

But a good idea

I would be more apt to buy from the Boostaroo site directly to at least be certain I get some kind of warranty or guarantee.