IGNORED

VIC-20 Keyboard Mostly not working

johndias

Hi all, my new power supply from Ray arrived today so I got a chance to boot up for the first time.

System comes up, no problem, but the keyboard ... probably 80% of the keys don't work.  I had pulled them and cleaned them while I was retrobriting the case (and lost one spring - anyone got a spare?).

I saw another thread @carlsson recommended swapping the 6522 chips, which I will do. What else can I check?

Is there a pattern to which keys are not working? Like it was mentioned in the other thread, every second key worked and the rest didn't. If you have a massive fail of up to 80%, sure it could be a toasted 6522 but it makes me wonder what other causes it could be.

In case you own a C64, the keyboard is mechanically (*) and electrically compatible with the VIC-20 one so you could swap keyboards to rule out sources of error.

(*) The white C64C keyboard may have different mounting points so it would be difficult to fit physically, but loose out of the case it works the same way.

• Like 1

I pulled the keyboard PCB out and cleaned it with IPA. Then I plugged it back in and used a wire to jump the contacts to see if that would respond. The keys did (I didn't do a complete test but enough to convince me that I had a mechanical problem).

Then I took a plunger (the commodore key) and used it to connect each of the contacts. No bueno, the key presses did not show up. So, I think my plungers are bad, what to do? These are NOT the rubber dome ones but rather like this one

17 hours ago, carlsson said:

Is there a pattern to which keys are not working? Like it was mentioned in the other thread, every second key worked and the rest didn't. If you have a massive fail of up to 80%, sure it could be a toasted 6522 but it makes me wonder what other causes it could be.

In case you own a C64, the keyboard is mechanically (*) and electrically compatible with the VIC-20 one so you could swap keyboards to rule out sources of error.

(*) The white C64C keyboard may have different mounting points so it would be difficult to fit physically, but loose out of the case it works the same way.

There's no pattern, that I can determine. The working ones are scattered about.

Oh man, rookie mistake! Short story, while I thought the contacts were clean I put them under my microscope and realized there was corrosion on most of them. So, with extra diligence I cleaned them all up and for kicks tested the resistance on all of the plungers (they were all around 100 ohm which I guess is good?) and tested - all the keys work!

Well, except for the Commodore key, for which I lost the spring. Anyone know where I can buy one?

20200919_125756.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, evg2000 said:

cool!
what did you use to clean off the corrosion?

IPA and a paper towel. I think the problem before is that I was using a non-cotton fiber swab like the ones here and it wasn't doing much scrubbing. They're great for general grime and cleaning tape and disk heads, though.

s-l64.jpg

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Probably someone has spare keyboards in parts from where you could source a spring if that is all you're missing. I suppose measuring an existing one might allow you to find somewhere selling springs only, though I don't know if hardware stores have that.

I've had to match springs before, it's challenging. There are online places that sell springs. That's my last resort, I'm hoping to find a kind soul with a spare VIC-20.