IGNORED

Golden Axe, More SEGA Arcade Games Getting the Arcade1up Treatment

I wish there had been an original Streets Of Rage arcade game.

As a kid I assumed ALL Sega (actual SEGA produced) games were ports of it's arcade titles.

Hang On, Thunder Blade, Golden Axe, Outrun, Alien Storm, Shinobi, Altered Beast, etc...

When I found out there WAS NO arcade game for SoR, I was kinda bummed!

31 minutes ago, Torr said:

I wish there had been an original Streets Of Rage arcade game.

As a kid I assumed ALL Sega (actual SEGA produced) games were ports of it's arcade titles.

Hang On, Thunder Blade, Golden Axe, Outrun, Alien Storm, Shinobi, Altered Beast, etc...

When I found out there WAS NO arcade game for SoR, I was kinda bummed!

Starworlds Acrade had a nicely made one at the MGC show a few years back

I'm seriously considering getting the Golden Axe cabinet, but I have no idea where I would put it. I'm a bit limited on space right now.

I'm curious to see how well Revenge of the Death Adder is emulated. Whenever I've tried it on MAME, it's never been fully supported, so it's a bit glitchy (don't know if this has improved with newer versions of MAME—I haven't checked in a while).

4 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Yeah, I like arcade 1ups and own a "few" of them...

20200509_082108.jpg

Can I come live in your game room? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:50 PM, roots.genoa said:

I was really tempted by the Golden Axe cabinet, but it would take too much space and I'm not sure it will be easy to import it from France anyway. I think I'll get an Astro City Mini instead, which is cheaper and has basically the same games and more.

Thanks for mentioning this, as I didn't realize Revenge of the Death Adder would be on the Astro City Mini. I may buy one instead as well.

I'm a huge Golden Axe fan but I have to say, for me it's the very definition of the "screw it, just play it in MAME" type deal.  No special controls needed, MAME has emulated it well for years, and the game is damn short. 

Of the other games listed, I kind of consider Altered Beast and Wrestle War to be throw away games.  Shinobi and GA2 are solid though.

• Sad 1

I don't think people realize these arcade 1ups are mostly about the ambiance...

You can "play" pretty much anything with MAME but having (smaller) arcade cabs really bring a video game room together. You're going to play through Golden Axe three times tops and it will just sit there but the "look" it gives the room is priceless ;)

Think of them as (mildly expensive) toys instead of actual arcade machines and they make a LOT more sense :) People spend a lot more on (mostly hideous) art that just sits on a wall so why not! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

I don't think people realize these arcade 1ups are mostly about the ambiance...

You can "play" pretty much anything with MAME but having (smaller) arcade cabs really bring a video game room together. You're going to play through Golden Axe three times tops and it will just sit there but the "look" it gives the room is priceless ;)

Think of them as (mildly expensive) toys instead of actual arcade machines and they make a LOT more sense :) People spend a lot more on (mostly hideous) art that just sits on a wall so why not! 

Point taken.  I guess my point is, if I am going to seek out a cabinet that plays one game or some short list of games, then I want those games to have lots of replayability.  For the rest, I’ll just run them on a massively multi-game, general purpose MAME cabinet. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

Point taken.  I guess my point is, if I am going to seek out a cabinet that plays one game or some short list of games, then I want those games to have lots of replayability.  For the rest, I’ll just run them on a massively multi-game, general purpose MAME cabinet. 

I'd say the issue here is that with only a handful of games per cabinet, only people with lots of space can own them all. The rest are practically driven to MAME cabs simply due to space concerns. The best of both worlds would be a proprietary game cartridge system, together with a installable/removable controller set. Want to play a session of arcade Centipede? Plug the Centipede cartridge into the slot somewhere on the cabinet, disconnect the joystick controller and then install the trackball controller on the cab, turn the cab on, and you're good to go. Then it would just be a question of purchasing licensed cartridges of all the arcade games, which shouldn't be overly expensive for the early arcade titles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Yeah, my line up is mostly classics for that purpose :)  (centipede, galaga, pac, etc...) If you have the space though a game like Final Fight or TMNT (or even Golden Axe) is great since it's a good crowd pleaser when the random friends/family that are a little too young to"get" the classics are over. Ads a little 90's vibe to the mix... I'll admit though, the only reason I have so many is that I purchased 90% of them for 100 bucks each lol. At $300-$500 each I wouldn't be able to justify the expense...

15 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

I'd say the issue here is that with only a handful of games per cabinet, only people with lots of space can own them all. The rest are practically driven to MAME cabs simply due to space concerns. The best of both worlds would be a proprietary game cartridge system, together with a installable/removable controller set. Want to play a session of arcade Centipede? Plug the Centipede cartridge into the slot somewhere on the cabinet, disconnect the joystick controller and then install the trackball controller on the cab, turn the cab on, and you're good to go. Then it would just be a question of purchasing licensed cartridges of all the arcade games, which shouldn't be overly expensive for the early arcade titles.

Some of these arcade 1ups can be somewhat swapped out (PCB,controllers,etc) some have monitor orientation or wiring  issues though...but I get what you're getting at and that would be cool :)

I think arcade 1ups main audience is the "arcade" crowd that just wants to dedicate an entire room to it. Arcade machines used to be affordable (and still operable) but they are very expensive now and getting old/broke down. Thats not a viable option for most....arcade 1up to the rescue! (they are so much easier to move too!)

The guys that just one one game these days (and aren't MAME savvy) typically buy this one from AT games...

atgames.jpg