IGNORED

What do you like about GIMP?

Karl G

While I've been aware of GIMP for a long time (since it has a long and important history in the free/open source software community), I've not used it much until recently. I'm lazy, and have used image-editing programs with similar interfaces for my mostly modest image-editing needs. Still, I'm aware that GIMP is powerful and feature-rich, so learning to make better use of it will probably benefit me in the long run.

Anyway, for those of you who are GIMP fans and/or long-time users, what do you like about it compared to other options available on your platform?

I'm on Linux, and while there are some alternatives, Gimp is pretty much the defacto choice for raster editing. I used to do Photoshop on Windows up until version 4, but switched to Linux and Gimp at that point and haven't looked back. 

At this point any feature-rich photo/raster editing software will have all of the functionality 90% of users need, so I don't think you'll get a response with some killer feature that's exclusive to gimp. So for me it's a matter of...

• It's a feature-rich editor, with a standard plug-in format, and a ton of file import/export options.
  • It adheres to file standards quite well.
  • It has a large user-base, with a ton of tutorials, community support, and add-ons available.
  • It's available on many different OS platforms.
  • It's Free Software.
  • It's free software.
  • It's local software that doesn't require a subscription.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say I'm a GIMP fan, more a case of it's a necessary evil ! That said, I've become more accustomed to using it in my workflow. At times it frustrates me, partly because it's GiMP, partly my lack of knowledge. For example, I have the latest version installed but if I try to open png's of a certain dimension or bit depth, it crashes. Every time. re-installed same issue. Grrr. 

I guess the best thing that I like is from a pixel editing point of view, I can do things that I can't in the ADS sprite editor like arbitrary rotations (used this a lot doing the airplane sprites in Danger Zone).