IGNORED

Game codes for Micro Prose Wargames

npturton

Hi all

I found my printout of this, thought it would be useful if people want to play these wargames (PS they are really good)

CRUSADE IN EUROPE
01 TORCH
02 GARDEN
03 GOODWOOD    
04 BOLERO
05 MARKET
06 FRANKLIN
07 OMAHA
08 COBRA
09 DAVID
10 TANGO
11 ANVIL
12 TIGER
13 TOTALISE
14 OVERLOAD
15 SHERMAN
16 BLUECOAT

DECISION IN THE DESERT
01 GYMNAST
02 ALEXANDER
03 BREVITY
04 AFRICA
05 MERCURY
06 SUBSTANCE
07 EXPORTER
08 VENICE
09 HERCULES
10 ACROBAT
11 SUPPLY
12 MARIE
13 LUSTRE
14 SPLICE
15 STYLE
16 PEDESTAL

CONFLICT IN VIETNAM
01 JEB STUART
02 LE LOI
03 WHITE WING
04 SILVER BAYONET
05 PEGASUS
06 MUSCATINE
07 LAM SON
08 MAMELUKE THRUST
09 ATTLE BORO
10 NEVADA EAGLE
11 MACOW
12 HENDERSON HILL
13 MASHER 
14 CEDAR FALLS
15 STARLIGHT
16 JUNCTION CITY

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I just started getting into war games for the Atari in recent years (I didn't have the patience when I was younger, except for RPG's, otherwise it was arcade style games I played). Though so far I've only played a couple, from SSI and Avalon Hill (Carrier Force and Legionnaire) and just got Wargame Construction Set, which I have yet to try(computer down for repairs and upgrades). How do Micro Prose war games compare to SSI war games and what are the top suggestions for both publishers? Avalon Hill games seem o.k., at least the one I have, but I think they are earlier and more primitive than the SSI and Micro Prose games. Datasoft also has a few, are they good and how do they compare to these other publisher's games too?

Obviously it seems I should check out at least the three mentioned here...I'm not just downloading these to play though, I've started collecting original releases, if the price is right and complete and good condition. I do this for the extras included, like maps, and I prefer to read real manuals instead of PDF's.

And are there other publishers that put out war games of any note besides the four companies I mention here?

Edited by Gunstar

On 9/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, npturton said:

Hi all

I found my printout of this, thought it would be useful if people want to play these wargames (PS they are really good)

CRUSADE IN EUROPE
01 TORCH
02 GARDEN
03 GOODWOOD    
04 BOLERO
05 MARKET
06 FRANKLIN
07 OMAHA
08 COBRA
09 DAVID
10 TANGO
11 ANVIL
12 TIGER
13 TOTALISE
14 OVERLOAD
15 SHERMAN
16 BLUECOAT

DECISION IN THE DESERT
01 GYMNAST
02 ALEXANDER
03 BREVITY
04 AFRICA
05 MERCURY
06 SUBSTANCE
07 EXPORTER
08 VENICE
09 HERCULES
10 ACROBAT
11 SUPPLY
12 MARIE
13 LUSTRE
14 SPLICE
15 STYLE
16 PEDESTAL

CONFLICT IN VIETNAM
01 JEB STUART
02 LE LOI
03 WHITE WING
04 SILVER BAYONET
05 PEGASUS
06 MUSCATINE
07 LAM SON
08 MAMELUKE THRUST
09 ATTLE BORO
10 NEVADA EAGLE
11 MACOW
12 HENDERSON HILL
13 MASHER 
14 CEDAR FALLS
15 STARLIGHT
16 JUNCTION CITY

I cannot remember where those codes are used.

Is it at the beginning?

On 9/20/2020 at 6:04 AM, Gunstar said:

I just started getting into war games for the Atari in recent years (I didn't have the patience when I was younger, except for RPG's, otherwise it was arcade style games I played). Though so far I've only played a couple, from SSI and Avalon Hill (Carrier Force and Legionnaire) and just got Wargame Construction Set, which I have yet to try(computer down for repairs and upgrades). How do Micro Prose war games compare to SSI war games and what are the top suggestions for both publishers? Avalon Hill games seem o.k., at least the one I have, but I think they are earlier and more primitive than the SSI and Micro Prose games. Datasoft also has a few, are they good and how do they compare to these other publisher's games too?

Obviously it seems I should check out at least the three mentioned here...I'm not just downloading these to play though, I've started collecting original releases, if the price is right and complete and good condition. I do this for the extras included, like maps, and I prefer to read real manuals instead of PDF's.

And are there other publishers that put out war games of any note besides the four companies I mention here?

I've been playing war games on the Atari for years, so I can point you in the right direction.

The Microprose games are all similar, and obviously use iterations of the same engine. They are all 'chit and counter' style games, mimicing the old 80s era hex and cardboard counter war games. They're all quite good, each one modeling a different time or theater (80s Nato vs Warsaw, Western Front, North Afrika and Vietnam). If you like one, you'll like them all.

SSI has a lot more variety. You'll get tactical level games, but also operational and strategic level stuff. Some games are chit and counter style like Microprose, while some (like Wargame Construction Set) actually depict units and do a kind of we-go real time thing. They also have old west, naval, air and sci fi strategy games. Tons of variety and quality to their Atari library. 

Avalon Hill is more of a mixed bag. Their stuff is all early in the Atari 8-bit line, so much of it uses hybrid basic/asm code and can be primitive and slow. Quality is all over the board too, though their good stuff IS quite good. Datasoft has some decent games, like Bismarck, but it's a distant fourth place.

There are other companies that put out strategy titles, my favorite being Epyx, which released some really clever titles like Crush Crumble and Chomp (movie monster strategy game where you play/design the monsters), Invasion Orion (turn based starship combat that is far more playable when you use a modern basic port) and several others, some of which alternate between strategy and action, like Dragonriders of Pern. Many of their Apshai games could easily be considered strategy too, particularly the time limited 'one off' games like Rescue at Rigel or Morloc's Tower.

There's a lot more to discover than you might think!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Lord Thag , I was aware of, and have played the Epyx games except for Invasion Orion.

Have you tried Datasoft's Bismark on a expanded memory machine? It's suppose to use up to 128K for advanced features not included on 64K machines. That, and it being a later release, I thought might be a more advanced simulation in some way.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, Gunstar said:

Thanks @Lord Thag , I was aware of, and have played the Epyx games except for Invasion Orion.

Have you tried Datasoft's Bismark on a expanded memory machine? It's suppose to use up to 128K for advanced features not included on 64K machines. That, and it being a later release, I thought might be a more advanced simulation in some way.

Huh, hadn't heard that one before. Where did you hear it had additional features in 128k? I don't recall anything like that in the manual.

The game itself is certainly worth checking out. It's similar to Dragonriders in that it alternates between a 'grand strategy' screen and an action sequence. Basically, you maneuver around (you can play either side) and try to evade or engage your target. When you catch them, battle ensues, which is a real time volley exchange between ships. It's not an arcade game though, as the ships (all reflecting real life ship classes) have different weapons, damageable sections (boiler rooms, magazines etc), blind spots and all kinds of stuff. Generally victory conditions are centered around the Bismarck surviving or escaping relatively unscathed (Germans), or preventing her from sinking your ships or sinking her yourself (Brits). Like Dragonriders of Pern, it's a kind of unique game. Well worth playing.