IGNORED

Rom files

James app-2008

Hello

i recently downloaded a couple of rom files. 

I bought a harmony cart. Off eBay.

my question is after I unzipped the files I get another what looks like zip file with the extension .bin

is this normal? If I put this .bin folder on my harmony sd card will my Atari recognize it?

any help would be appreciated

Here is a online PDF manual for the Harmony cart. In case you didn't get one included? 

https://harmony.atariage.com/files/harmony_manual_v2_online.pdf

Also, do yourself a favor and instead of downloading a ROM here and there just download ROMHUNTERS complete archive, it's still a small and fast download with the complete organized collection so you will have them at hand either way - Just click the link on the bottom of the page you get following this link 

http://www.atarimania.com/rom_collection_archive_atari_2600_roms.html

• Like 5

8 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Here is a online PDF manual for the Harmony cart. In case you didn't get one included? 

https://harmony.atariage.com/files/harmony_manual_v2_online.pdf

Also, do yourself a favor and instead of downloading a ROM here and there just download ROMHUNTERS complete archive, it's still a small and fast download with the complete organized collection so you will have them at hand either way - Just click the link on the bottom of the page you get following this link 

http://www.atarimania.com/rom_collection_archive_atari_2600_roms.html

Exactly what I was looking for. Simple named roms that I can organize/add to my UNO cart. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Rom Hunter collection on Atarimania is a .RAR file, if I recall correctly (BTW, I effing HATE .RAR archives!). By default, neither Windows or nor MacOS can open those natively. Get a copy of WinRAR or 7zip or whatever the cool kids are using these days to extract the files. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Why? Do you prefer 7z?

Because I prefer ordinary zip archives that can be natively opened by basically everything these days without the need for 3rd party applications. Bandwidth and storage are dirt cheap these days. Not nearly as much need to shave off every spare byte via compression or handle hundred-part fragmented files that need to be recombined at the end like in the bad old days of the 90’s and early 00’s, when grabbing a hundred megabytes off a Usenet newsgroup piecemeal was the only way to do it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose you either never leave your home or you have a very long cable... :) 

I think I’ve left my house less than 6 times since March of last year - the idiots in my community are determined to die alone in ICU beds and I have no desire to join them. The death rate for my state is over 1 out of every 1,000 residents in the state and showing no sign of slowing, let alone reversing. (sigh). Very fortunate I can work from home and get most things I need delivered. 

8 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Just install 7zip. It's great, and it's free. Supports tons of formats.

As I recommended above. Doesn’t negate a single thing I’ve said since. I hate .rar files. :) 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 2:51 PM, DrVenkman said:

The Rom Hunter collection on Atarimania is a .RAR file, if I recall correctly (BTW, I effing HATE .RAR archives!). By default, neither Windows or nor MacOS can open those natively. Get a copy of WinRAR or 7zip or whatever the cool kids are using these days to extract the files. 

Will My Uno Cart play .RAR files? If not, is there another, more compatible  complete collection out there that is like the Rom Hunter collection that I could download?