IGNORED

Help with Turbo Pasc’99

Keneg

I finally got Turbo Pasc99 running.  I created a small program to print “Hello World”.  It compiles fine so I compiled It to DSK1.TEST.  So how do I convert this to a program and run it?  I would prefer to create program files that can be used with just TIPI, I think that is an EA5 file?  When I load “test” into the editor, I can see what looks like assembly language to me.  Do I use the Assembler next?

9 minutes ago, Keneg said:

I finally got Turbo Pasc99 running.  I created a small program to print “Hello World”.  It compiles fine so I compiled It to DSK1.TEST.  So how do I convert this to a program and run it?  I would prefer to create program files that can be used with just TIPI, I think that is an EA5 file?  When I load “test” into the editor, I can see what looks like assembly language to me.  Do I use the Assembler next?

Yes, next step is to assemble the compiled file with the Editor Assembler.

You can read the document TurboPasc99_first steps from post #80 in the following thread:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It worked!  I can even run it with CALL TIPI(“DSK1.TEST1”).  Is there a way to suppress the message about runtime errors at the end?  I also noticed there are programs named ASSM1 and ASSM2 in the TP3 directory.  Can they be used instead of the editor/Assembler cartrigpdge?

Edited by Keneg

22 hours ago, Keneg said:

It worked!  I can even run it with CALL TIPI(“DSK1.TEST1”).  Is there a way to suppress the message about runtime errors at the end?  I also noticed there are programs named ASSM1 and ASSM2 in the TP3 directory.  Can they be used instead of the editor/Assembler cartrigpdge?

The E/A cartridge use the files ASSM1 and ASSM2. So you will need the cartridge.

I didn‘t remember a runtime error for my test progrmams. Could you please post yours?

I will try it myself in my system.

Wolfgang

8 hours ago, wolhess said:

The E/A cartridge use the files ASSM1 and ASSM2. So you will need the cartridge.

I didn‘t remember a runtime error for my test progrmams. Could you please post yours?

I will try it myself in my system.

Wolfgang

I don’t get a runtime error.  I get a message saying there weren’t any.  This is nice when developing, but I wouldn’t want a finished program to display it.  There is probably a way to suppress or trap it.

15 hours ago, apersson850 said:

Just before you get too deeply involved with Turbo Pasc'99, you should realize that the lack of structured data types and dynamic memory allocation means that it's really not worth using at all. It's not Pascal, it's not even Pasc, it's just about P...

I plan to move on to FBFORTH, but I did some programing in Pascal Back in the 80s.  Figure to get my feet wet with the TI using it and then move on.  Don’t plan on writing any major software either.

47 minutes ago, apersson850 said:

The Pascal system that's complete and useful for the TI is the UCSD Pascal, running on the UCSD p-system.

But there are several flavors of Forth available for you.

I bought the manual for fbforth.  Just got it Saturday.  Is the p-system available and can stand alone programs be created using it?  I want to be able to create programs that can be used by anyone with a means to load them.  I thought I was doing that with Turbo Pasc 99, but discovered that the program only works when my FG99 has Editor/Assembler loaded.

• Like 1

The TI-99 seems to have been designed to require various pieces of extra firmware. I suspect someone thought it would lead to higher sales revenue. :) 

Apersson850 is the resident expert but the P system which needs it's own card that lives in the expansion box with firmware and extra software.

It is better described as an operating system from what he describes.

Any system that generates a binary program for TI-99 must have some kind of loader added to the computer. The E/A cartridge is the one normally used and it requires external RAM to be part of the system as well.

There has been a hack created to allow machine code to be loaded and even use VDP RAM to hold machine code that is shuttled in and out of the 256 byte console RAM but I would not consider that a way to go.

Extended BASIC also can load binary code so there is that option as well.

All that to say it's a weird little machine.

I default to the E/A cartridge for Forth development as my system is an 8K micro kernel that compiles extensions from text files.

• Like 1

No, the p-code card isn't attractive if you want to develop programs most TI 99/4A owners can run. Not on a real machine, that is. If you want to use a simulator, then several support the p-code card. Classic 99 is one I've used a little.

But indeed, the UCSD p-system is an operating system. The p-code card contains the p-code interpreter and the basic operating system. That's what you need to run programs made by other people.

To do more things, you need extra software, delivered on disks.

To handle files you need the Filer.

To create and edit text files, you need the Editor.

To convert Pascal source files to executable object files, you need the Compiler.

To convert assembly language source to code files, you need the Assembler.

To make assembly code files executable, typically together with a Pascal code file, you need the Linker.

To do various house keeping things, including managing the system's library, handle dual directories and a lot of other stuff, you need the Utilities.

All this stuff can be found for the simulators.

What you are looking for is something else. But the only thing a bare-bones TI console can run (without excessive tricks) is TI BASIC. Today, most surviving users has more options than that.

3 hours ago, TheBF said:

I don't have a Tipi card. We will need input from @jedimatt42

most of the tipi programs are written in C ..GCC specifically.. however there are a few that are just assembly language, After Hours BBS and MXT have been modified to use TIPI tcp/ip communications for telnet. also the TI Web Browser versions 9.3 and 9.4 both support TIPI 

Oh yes and Rock Paper Scissors is written in Extended Basic

In 1991 I have used TP99 v1.0 to convert some programs:

* Othello    (I think this came out of a French magazine called TILT, I have the magazine and will check)

(later in 2014 or later Tursi helped to get it to work in Classic99)

I like this TP99 version.  I think my father had it in TI Basic or Extended Basic but was slow, I think that

was the reason to see if it was faster.

* Doolhof (Maze)  tried to convert it out of a HCC magazine looks like

* Cassette labeler I wrote myself to print labels for my music Cassette/Tape boxes in condensed mode (using a Brother ML1709 or ML1724)

(I also have all the labels on another disk)

image.thumb.png.347ca810234d366f4ab1cd56890a5173.png

0047-TP99-Othello.dsk

0070-TP99-System.dsk

0071-TP99-Programs01.dsk

0072-TP99-Programs02.dsk

0073-TP99-CassLabeler.dsk

0080-TP99-SourceOthello.dsk

0081-TP99-ProgramOthello.dsk

0082-TP99-Othello-fixed.dsk         <<< works in Classic99

0084-TP99-Programs-Doolhof.dsk

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 10:05 AM, globeron said:

(Ref: the TP99 Othello version above) Here is the original listing of the TILT 100 magazine,

which has the TI-99/4A basic program version of Othello (Author is unknown).

https://www.abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=28&num=379&album=oui

Othello listing:

TILT%20-%20HS%20n%C2%B0%2001%20-%20DATE%

TILT%20-%20HS%20n%C2%B0%2001%20-%20DATE%

Here is the TI Basic or Extended Basic version in softcopy format

(and in French language and we do not know the author btw)

OTHELLO

(.cc Thank you Ciro finding it back again!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1