IGNORED

High Score Saving

MasterMotorola

I've played my Raiden cartridge so much that it stopped saving new high scores and names 15 years ago and I hate having to photograph the scores.  Is there any way to replace a chip so it will remember the high scores again?

My friend got this insanely high score but there is no way to have a proper championship without the device saving the evidence.

Yes, you could do that, if you have decent soldering skills and don't mind opening up the cartridge. You have to use a Philips screwdriver to punch two holes through the label in the upper right and left corners, unscrew both screws, then carefully use a thin flat-blade screwdriver on the two side notches (narrow edges of the cartridge shell) to gently pop the case open. There is a small 8-pin chip called 93c46 which is used to save data. Replace this chip and you're all set.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Yes, you could do that, if you have decent soldering skills and don't mind opening up the cartridge. You have to use a Philips screwdriver to punch two holes through the label in the upper right and left corners, unscrew both screws, then carefully use a thin flat-blade screwdriver on the two side notches (narrow edges of the cartridge shell) to gently pop the case open. There is a small 8-pin chip called 93c46 which is used to save data. Replace this chip and you're all set.

Is that all?

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Thank you, Songbird.  Luckily I have my own print shop so I can replicate the label before possibly damaging it (I will try a low heatgun setting and see if the label will peel off first).  Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy 93C46 EEPROM chips?

6 hours ago, Mitch said:

Did you try resetting it first to make sure it is not just corrupt?

Mitch

If you mean holding * and # during bootup then yes, I've tried that many times over the years.  I've played the game so much that I'm sure the number of EEPROM writes has been exceeded and it simply won't save the scores any more.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll buy a few 93C46 chips and see if that works.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, Songbird said:

I ordered some new 8 pin chips thanks to the link above. I repaired my copy of Alien vs. Predator. Works like a charm now.

I then tried replacing the chip on my copy of Protector SE, but no dice. The game still won't save high scores or waves... Oh well...

• Like 1

Protector SE uses a different chip.  93C86.  See my post here for details on how to pick the right one (or make the one you got work) from DigiKey/mouser/etc.:

This one should work, but you'll have to short the pins like I note in my post above:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/93C86C-I-P/665630

Edited by cubanismo
Add DigiKey link

On 10/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, cubanismo said:

Protector SE uses a different chip.  93C86.  See my post here for details on how to pick the right one (or make the one you got work) from DigiKey/mouser/etc.:

This one should work, but you'll have to short the pins like I note in my post above:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/93C86C-I-P/665630

Did you have a different alias at the post above? I don't see your post. But anyway thanks for clearing that up about the different chip.

2 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Did you have a different alias at the post above? I don't see your post. But anyway thanks for clearing that up about the different chip.

No. Hmm. Make sure you click on "cubanismo replied to a topic" and not "Create and burn eproms..."  The former takes you to my post, the latter to the top of the thread. It's a very old thread, and my post is many pages in (the 2nd to last on it currently).

19 hours ago, cubanismo said:

No. Hmm. Make sure you click on "cubanismo replied to a topic" and not "Create and burn eproms..."  The former takes you to my post, the latter to the top of the thread. It's a very old thread, and my post is many pages in (the 2nd to last on it currently).

Okay, thanks. I'm placing an order for a chip now.

Correct, Protector SE uses a 93C86. That was done for future indie CD game use, to provide extra "save slots" for other games. However that feature was never utilized. Eventually I may change Prot SE to use a 93C46 just to make it common with other Jaguar carts I produce. Or alternatively I could release a Protector Triumvirate that includes Protector, SE, and Resurgence all on one cart with separate game saves. :D 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, cubanismo said:

Finally got the new chip soldered to my Protector SE board. Shorted pins 6 and 8. Fired up the game, and it appears to save my score now. After all these years I won't have to write down my high scores anymore. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 7:26 AM, Songbird said:

Correct, Protector SE uses a 93C86. That was done for future indie CD game use, to provide extra "save slots" for other games. However that feature was never utilized. Eventually I may change Prot SE to use a 93C46 just to make it common with other Jaguar carts I produce. Or alternatively I could release a Protector Triumvirate that includes Protector, SE, and Resurgence all on one cart with separate game saves. :D 

Yes Please!

?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 6:31 PM, MasterMotorola said:

Thank you, Songbird.  Luckily I have my own print shop so I can replicate the label before possibly damaging it (I will try a low heatgun setting and see if the label will peel off first).  Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy 93C46 EEPROM chips?

Raiden is a relatively common cart, could probably find new, in box, sell the old one on Ebay and be out very little money in the process.