IGNORED

The future of BASIC ;)

Andrew Davie

20 years ago I wold not have ever believed this was possible on a plain-vanilla '2600.

That is, it's just standard 6507 code in action drawing this screen... pretty much a 32x16 text display.

This is the amazing PlusCart menu/display system in action... I'm having lots of fun designing fonts.

Anyway, just for fun I imported the text of a BASIC program.

My imagination is running away with the concept of a stand-alone BASIC programming environment that allows you to develop/run on a cart and load/save programs from the 'net.Screen is almost good enough to actually be decent for programming...  certainly for back-in-the-day.

Needs a keyboard peripheral, or converter/dongle....  how about a WiFi keyboard.... I wonder how much of a killer latency would be.

Perhaps something that can plug into a joystick...  and then a regulation USB keyboard.

basic.png

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

20 years ago I wold not have ever believed this was possible on a plain-vanilla '2600.

That is, it's just standard 6507 code in action drawing this screen... pretty much a 32x16 text display.

This is the amazing PlusCart menu/display system in action... I'm having lots of fun designing fonts.

Anyway, just for fun I imported the text of a BASIC program.

My imagination is running away with the concept of a stand-alone BASIC programming environment that allows you to develop/run on a cart and load/save programs from the 'net.Screen is almost good enough to actually be decent for programming...  certainly for back-in-the-day.

Needs a keyboard peripheral, or converter/dongle....  how about a WiFi keyboard.... I wonder how much of a killer latency would be.

Perhaps something that can plug into a joystick...  and then a regulation USB keyboard.

basic.png

BASIC looks really cool in 32x16. I think we may be able to do this now with the PlusCart -

SuperCharger BASIC has an old-school BASIC mode with line numbers, @Al_Nafuur could run the compiler on the PlusCart server and build the ROM and launch it.  

batari BASIC can also be written just via a text editor because of it's ASCII art GUI designers.

I would definitely use a development environment like this to write a 10 liner for the BASIC programming contest for the fun of it.

I think the interlocking Atari keyboard isn't so bad, it has buttons at least and is standard Atari equipment.

• Like 1