IGNORED

Atari 2600 crash after a few seconds

xkenx

15 hours ago, xkenx said:

Unfortunately, changing the power regulator did not help.

Thanks for confirming.

I would be interested to know if it's always the same amount of time the display goes out, or if it varies a little. 

If the time is pretty much consistent I'd suspect another component in the supply circuit, like the capacitor or a diode.

However if the time for the display going out varies I'd also then suspect a solder connection, like on the power jack.

@xkenx I can see in the PlusStore logs several start menu request from your PlusCart. Did you ever moved the joystick and then pushed the button when the screen is black?

If you try, you should wait about 10 seconds to be sure the WiFi module has connected and the start menu is loaded. Then move the Joystick down one time, because the first menu entry for your PlusCart should be a firmware update, and press the button. If only the Video part of your VCS is defect, i should see a different request from your PlusCart in the PlusStore log files.

Btw. if you accidentally hit the firmware update entry the WiFi led might starts to blink multiple times and you must not switch off the VCS! (after it stops blinking you should wait at least 20 seconds before you switch the VCS off!)    

@Al_Nafuur I tried to do what you suggested. I reached the PlusCart menu. I navigated to the menu down to the entry below firmware upgrade before the system rebooted and I ended up at the screen before menu(with the plus logo) before the system”crashed” with vertical lines with and beeping sound.

Is it possible to use CPU, RIOT and TIA chip from a PAL Atari 2600 on a NTSC? In know that NTSC TIA is different, but if I just want to test the function.

12 minutes ago, xkenx said:

@Al_Nafuur I tried to do what you suggested. I reached the PlusCart menu. I navigated to the menu down to the entry below firmware upgrade before the system rebooted and I ended up at the screen before menu(with the plus logo) before the system”crashed” with vertical lines with and beeping sound.

I meant you should press the button when the screen is black, so we can sort out if only your video (mod) is affected or the rest of the system too..

I can see in the logs, that you have pushed the button for the "Public ROMs" menu at:

2020-09-27 18:09:02 (CET)

But after this request there are 4 more start request from your PlusCart until 2020-09-27 18:10:00..
Did you turn off and on the VCS 4 times after you tried?

But after this request there are 4 more start request from your PlusCart until 2020-09-27 18:10:00..
Did you turn off and on the VCS 4 times after you tried?

No, It looks like the unit tries reboot by itself.

If you leave the case cover off and point a fan at it when you turn it on, does that seem to affect how long it goes before crashing?

No difference with a fan. I could feel that the TIA chip got slightly warm. But not hot.

Thanks

4 hours ago, xkenx said:

No, It looks like the unit tries reboot by itself.

The PlusCart and it's WiFi module are not automatically sending requests to the PlusStore when they get powered up. There must be done a lot of steps by the VCS first..
?

38 minutes ago, xkenx said:

Small and annoying update. Got a PAL Atari 2600 today. Tested the new PSU on the faulty unit. Played maybe five minutes before it crashed. For five minutes I thought I had a working unit. Next step, change the ICs. At least I now have a working PAL unit.

Congratulations, as far as I can see you have setup a PlusStore account and registered your PlusCart to your account too. Unfortunately you registered after you set the new high score for Pitfall, that's why you are listed as "unknown PlusCart user 34" in the High Score Club now:

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=8

Edited by Al_Nafuur