IGNORED

ColecoHID: Use your Roller Controller as a USB mouse

Falonn

Back in 2014 (as a kind of capstone project during a year where I focused on self-learning electronics), I made a little DB9-to-USB adapter for Colecovision controllers.  The new idea was the inclusion of two ports so you could connect a Roller Controller.  There is a little switch to make it behave like a standard mouse so you can use it in emulators that have Roller Controller support... or just use it as a trackball in Windows or whatever because it's fun. :D

The video mostly focuses on the electronics, but it does show the thing in action near the end:

This was also before I knew anything about designing for 3D printing, so the case isn't great.  It mostly does the job, but that unintended sliding action is the part of the project that I'm still the least happy with.

I didn't know about this community back then, so I never really shared it with anyone.  Now that I do know about this place, I finally get to share it six years later. :D

All the files are on GitHub if anyone wants to try making one.  The PCB includes an ISP header, so it should be easy to program the microcontroller with one of those $7 USBasp thingies from Amazon.

• Like 6