IGNORED

Season 18 Round 4 of 15 - Klax

asponge

How about something a little different?

454518780_KlaxCartridge.png.ea44ee475dc7953be694fa2ed8b854d0.png 120700927_KlaxScreenshot.png.09acb2c8175abcfd730bca98919f808b.png

Game Rules:

Start at Wave 01

Warping is allowed after wave 05

Play with the defaults:

Drop Meter: On

Difficulty: Medium

Ramping: On

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday October 11 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 10/11:

mbd30        1,356,800
fakecortex     899,875
roadrunner      80,150
asponge         70,950
jblenkle        64,050
AtariSphinx     48,350
empsolo         10,800

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.7640c11787da8fb154bf217954d50ed3.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 2

This is a game I bet we'll see INSANELY high scores for, like mbd mentioned. I like how each wave has a different goal to complete it. Even tho you can continue to rack up points while going for it, it keeps the game fresh. Now the question is, music or sfx? To start things off...

56,950 Wave 5 

klax-56k.thumb.JPG.315f96c854d18dca4328152b81f9c5c6.JPG

Edited by fakecortex

So I got a 700k combo on the first stage, a decent combo on the second stage, and then just played normally up to stage 5 where I died.

Are warps allowed as long as you start on stage 1? I know if you clear stage 5 you can warp to later stages and also get extra points.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mbd30 said:

Are warps allowed as long as you start on stage 1? I know if you clear stage 5 you can warp to later stages and also get extra points.

I assumed since we were starting on wave 1 that we'd going through the waves sequentially.  I'm personally not skilled enough at this game for that to make a difference one way or the other.  How does everyone else feel about warping after stage 5?

Just now, asponge said:

I assumed since we were starting on wave 1 that we'd going through the waves sequentially.  I'm personally not skilled enough at this game for that to make a difference one way or the other.  How does everyone else feel about warping after stage 5?

Haha, neither am I. I've always seen these competitions as a no warp scenario, but convince me otherwise, I have no strong feelings either way. Since we're dealing with a puzzle game, we've already entered the territory of getting so many points on the first level that it makes my head spin. It is the nineties after all...

1 hour ago, asponge said:

I'm fine with not allowing them if that's what everyone else wants.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, mbd30 said:

I'm fine with not allowing them if that's what everyone else wants.

It doesn't look like anyone has a strong opinion either way.  Go ahead and warp after 5 if you'd like.  Amazing scores by the way.  I can't even imagine how one would even begin to build a 700k combo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I haven't done the warp, but if I'm understanding it right, it's "part of the game by design," and not abusing a glitch or exploit, right?  if that's the case, I have no problems with allowing the warp.

Yes it's part of the game design.  At the beginning of the game you have the option to start at waves 1, 6 or 11.  Similarly, after every 5th wave you can pick the next wave or warp 5 or 10 ahead.  So after wave 5 you can continue to 6 or warp to 11 or 16.

16 hours ago, asponge said:

It doesn't look like anyone has a strong opinion either way.  Go ahead and warp after 5 if you'd like.  Amazing scores by the way.  I can't even imagine how one would even begin to build a 700k combo. 

For my current score I actually got over 1,200,000 on the first stage.

The trick is that this game's rng isn't that random and you get the same predictable patterns. You just have to keep resetting until you get the desired rng to complete a large first stage combo. The manual even lists various combos. The one that I use says "big points on stage one" or something like that.

It's not that difficult to clear 257k on the first stage once you get the hang of the combo system. But the highest scoring ones require just the right setup and knowing just what to do with the pieces you get.

Edited by mbd30
  • Thanks 1