IGNORED

1MB Ram... Needed?

Mr Robot

13 minutes ago, kiwilove said:

The two versions can be found here - this is with the new music and not the temporary music.

The first version should be here also - but on an earlier page.

I think it was posted on the Atarimax website - but that may be the earlier version - and cart version only.

Harvey

Well that game is nothing short of amazing!  Thanks.  I managed to just copy the .car file over to the Ultimate Cart and it loaded just fine.  Though my old fingers, I had to put on the auto fire for the Epyx 500xj... love that controller, but the buttons are not great for rapid fire.  Though the one I have is the SMS version, which does have an autofire switch anyhow :)

18 minutes ago, mytek said:

That is absolutely amazing!

A very good use of multimedia. So other than the music track, how else is the cassette being utilized?

From my understanding of how he did it, he had a flash cart with the animation on it which triggered the tape to play so it would be in sync.  But for sure one of the best versions of Bad Apple and using stock hardware (outside of the funky things you can do with a flash cart).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mytek said:

That is absolutely amazing!

A very good use of multimedia. So other than the music track, how else is the cassette being utilized?

Think that all the audio (speech, music, sfx) is coming from tape and they used a simple Poke 54018 (or something like that) to start playing from tape. While the video is running they either just continue playing the tape with no control from the computer or they could have used short blips on the tape (like PDI did with standard tapes and standard recordings*) to mark where they are and make the computer stop the tape and continue playing when nescessary. All video is coming from the!cart...

* advantage: the Educational System Master cart. (CXL 4001) is NOT required then, e.g. with tape titles like Invitation to Programming 1, 2, 3 or The Adventures of Oswald, Sammy the Sea Serpent, etc.

• Like 1

Regarding Bad Apple...

the above mentioned version for the!cart can be found e.g. in the SillyPack 2018 https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=80216

There is also a 1MB XEX animation of Bad Apple by playsoft, this one requires 1MB of RAM and is available in four versions with different graphic resolutions. Think it does not have sound (music). http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7388

Next there is a 1MB version of Bad Apple by R0ger with music, which requires an atarimax (8MBit/1MB) cart. or similar (post #1 for PAL and post #68 for NTSC).

And there is an approx. 6MB ATASCII version of Bad Apple by Pirx that requires a large storage device (either a HDD device or similar for fluid performance or a SIO2xyz device for some fun / frame drawing) but runs from stock hardware (post #16). 

There is also a Rapidus (+HDD) version of Bad Apple by TeBe. http://madteam.atari8.info/index.php?prod=scena And last not least there is an AVF video of Bad Apple for the AVG or SIDE cart. So we have more than enough versions of Bad Apple on the A8.

• Like 3

I especially thought the one I linked was fantastic as it uses a rather unique feature of the Atari 8bits by using an audio input I didn't even know existed on the SIO port.  Back in the day, audio input devices were rare for computers.  Granted I don't know if that is just a passthrough pin, or you could actually use it to capture digital audio.  But I am surprised that more tape games didn't have full on studio quality music passed through for games or something.  Something we really didn't have until CD-ROMs became a thing.

20 hours ago, leech said:

I especially thought the one I linked was fantastic as it uses a rather unique feature of the Atari 8bits by using an audio input I didn't even know existed on the SIO port.  Back in the day, audio input devices were rare for computers.  Granted I don't know if that is just a passthrough pin, or you could actually use it to capture digital audio.  But I am surprised that more tape games didn't have full on studio quality music passed through for games or something.  Something we really didn't have until CD-ROMs became a thing.

Every 410 supports audio in, so not that rare. The 410 is a stereo deck dedicating one channel to digital data and the other to analog audio. PDI educational tapes make great use of this.

Yes, passthrough, no capture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClausB said:

Every 410 supports audio in, so not that rare. The 410 is a stereo deck dedicating one channel to digital data and the other to analog audio. PDI educational tapes make great use of this.

Yes, passthrough, no capture.

I meant rare for the line of other 8 bit era computers and even into the 16 bit era.  Really wasn't until early 32bit systems we could get CD audio piped in.  But the Atari 8bits had the feature built in since the 70s.  I don't know of any other computer of the time that could do it.  Actually would be amusing if someone could figure out an SIO interface for a CDROM drive.

7 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Leech

Why not use the parallel port?  Been there, done that!  (That's two different links!!!)

Sincerely

Mathy

Ha, simply amazing what those machines can do!  In many ways, better than the ST ever was.  I feel Atari didn't catch up with somethings until the STe was released, and even that was to match the real successor to the A8, the Amiga.

Granted, this is why I have many Atari 8 bit computers, and no original STfms (that work anyhow, one day I will see if I can get one I bought off a friend fixed.)