IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 11 - Bump 'N' Jump

7 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

True, but after you accidentally land on some schmo after a jump and blow the clean bonus, you get to unleash your inner rage monster upon all for the remainder of that stage ?

I hate that douchey light purple car that sticks tarpits right in front of you to slam in to..... ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

1st entry. Don’t really like the “quest for a perfect score“ type of gameplay, but it is what it is.

A8E20193-69F8-44BC-B240-F0D8080C1DB6.jpeg

I do agree that 50,000 is probably too high of a bonus. It unbalances the gameplay towards the one strategy of not crashing cars. You can’t really come close to 50K by trying to crash cars. And crashing a lot of cars is dangerous to your own car’s survival. I wish the game would display the roadway number/season on the final score screen so we could compete on how far we get in the game as well as on score. A long lasting great game can score a lot lower than a shorter game due to the bonus situation.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

I do agree that 50,000 is probably too high of a bonus. It unbalances the gameplay towards the one strategy of not crashing cars. You can’t really come close to 50K by trying to crash cars. And crashing a lot of cars is dangerous to your own car’s survival. I wish the game would display the roadway number/season on the final score screen so we could compete on how far we get in the game as well as on score. A long lasting great game can score a lot lower than a shorter game due to the bonus situation.

Totally agree.  In fact, I wish the game didn't have the 50k bonus at all.  Then the competition and scores here would be much more interesting.  Also agree that the screen should show the road number or season as well, that would be a great challenge to see how far we get.  More missed opportunities in an INTV game!

• Like 4

All jumpin' and no bumpin' makes FakeCortex a sad gamer. I love finding new ways to play games that often go against its original intention, but it's weird to have a bonus like this built right into the game. Two competitions would work for this game- one where you're going for high score, do whatever you gotta do to get it (going for bonuses), and one where you play the intended way and go for a high score by crashing the sh*t out of all those cars (no bonuses)- "Unleash your inner rage monster" as @BiffMan puts it.

Not able to get the bonus just yet...

11,176 Roadway 2

1057076238_BumpNJump2020-09-2312_02_52.thumb.png.356b395057f32aaa9a29e7b09959eafc.png

Feel better @JacobZu7zu7!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

All jumpin' and no bumpin' makes FakeCortex a sad gamer. I love finding new ways to play games that often go against its original intention, but it's weird to have a bonus like this built right into the game. Two competitions would work for this game- one where you're going for high score, do whatever you gotta do to get it (going for bonuses), and one where you play the intended way and go for a high score by crashing the sh*t out of all those cars (no bonuses)- "Unleash your inner rage monster" as @BiffMan puts it.

Not able to get the bonus just yet...

11,176 Roadway 2

1057076238_BumpNJump2020-09-2312_02_52.thumb.png.356b395057f32aaa9a29e7b09959eafc.png

Feel better @JacobZu7zu7!

The way to do a competition without the no-crash bonus would be to see who can get the highest score up to 49900. You’d have to be really good to cross 50,000 in a game without that bonus. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ace24 said:

The way to do a competition without the no-crash bonus would be to see who can get the highest score up to 49900. You’d have to be really good to cross 50,000 in a game without that bonus. 

Seeing the level of play in this HSC, I wouldn't put it past you guys. If people went above, it would be the honor system for sure, but still fun :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ace24 said:

I really like that idea. Maybe we should do that in the future. That also could have been a side bonus thing for this right now. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3

BNJ Update thru Post #38: Also it looks like the HSC record on this game is 457,572 by CParsley. GOOD LUCK with that score gents.... ?

1. 230,480 - mr_me

2. 158,524 - Ace24

3. 152,752 - IntyFanMatt

4. 106,268 - Biffman

5. 101,860 - Rickster8

6. 54,952 - Player One

7. 23,692 - Mangia Boy

8. 11,176 - fakecortex

9. 10,860 - Jblenkle

Watch out for speeders y'all..... ?️

Edited by Rickster8
Included another score.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Honestly, this game really annoys me. Trying not to smash cars for the 50k bonus totally kills the high score challenge in my opinion. Not to mention the music in the game is so damn annoying. I don’t know how much more of this one I can stomach.

Agreed. Before now I only went through the first stage without smashing cars just to get the extra life. After that it was smash city! I knew the music would get to some people. I hear that song in my sleep now that I’ve played it again. 

• Haha 3

Didn't have this when I was a kid, but played it once or twice in the arcade at our local pizza place.

Score below is my third try.  Beauty & The Beast doesn't work in emulation so I'm playing Bump 'n' Jump.  Going to try updating my RetroPie.  Very happy with it so far.  You can see it in the picture below.  Time to put it into the Flashback case...

IMG_5086.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gar0u said:

Didn't have this when I was a kid, but played it once or twice in the arcade at our local pizza place.

Score below is my third try.  Beauty & The Beast doesn't work in emulation so I'm playing Bump 'n' Jump.  Going to try updating my RetroPie.  Very happy with it so far.  You can see it in the picture below.  Time to put it into the Flashback case...

Good to hear you were making progress on the RetroPi! Can’t get B&B to work though?  Wonder why?

2 hours ago, gar0u said:

IMG_5086.jpg

The return of the white wolf.... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1