IGNORED

Microsoft buys Bethesda

cimerians

Todd's (Bethesda chief Todd Howard) blog is full of cuddly reminiscing:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwKWIj174Cb2QNTTtBAEb/todd-howard-on-joining-xbox

I have to say Morrowind was pretty remarkable on the original Xbox I didn't think it would play well back then, but it worked well with a controller etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Does this mean Bethesda will finally be able to actually hire quality control people or will they continue to release broken games?

Bethesda has produced some amazing games, but they are also usually only playable after the mod community gives them a complete top to bottom going-over to patch all the glitches and bugs they could not be bothered with.

I was considerably unimpressed with Bethesda jumping on the microtranaction bandwagon. You would have thought their charging AAA title pricing plus DLC's would be profit enough, especially for titles they depend on the players to finish and polish up for them.

Holy &%$.

Words literally fail me at how disappointing this actually is. Un-frigging-believable.

Bethsoft is actually the only studio I know which consistently pushed the envelope when it comes to real next gen worlds with open and emergent gameplay. Everyone else - and that includes the likes of CD Projekt Red and Rockstar - is just happy exploiting the old, tired templates.

The only games I had hope of really bringing something new to the table on a really grand scale were TES 6 and (to lesser extent) Starfield. And as wongojack mentions, MS buying big studios really does not present a good pattern (Rare, anybody)

Of course, this studio is also a popular whipping boy amongst modern gamers, and the sport of Beth-bashing a great pastime (the myth of "broken games" already making appearence ITT). So I expect a lot of joy amongst the low-hanging fruit picking posses.

*millionfacepalms.gif*

• Like 1

Actually they brought the entire Zenimax parent company so they get Bethesda, ID, Arkane and then some.

If it was just Bethesda that would be a big deal but the whole thing? That's absolutely nuts. Microsoft has recovered their studio line up they lost at the peak of the 370 with this.

Saw this image of the new lineup of first party:

Eic_0BlU8AIIv8f?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

(Rare, anybody)

I never got the Rare thing, MS didn't cause them to released poorly or mixed received titles with low sales across two consoles until they made Kinect sports, which Microsoft didn't force on them. They also kept rare around without closing them. 

Bungie was a complex situation although you could say MS messed up in the end, though I didn't like their Destiny series much.

Edited by Leeroy ST

24 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

Actually they brought the entire Zenimax parent company so they get Bethesda, ID, Arkane and then some.

If it was just Bethesda that would be a big deal but the whole thing? That's absolutely nuts. Microsoft has recovered their studio line up they lost at the peak of the 370 with this.

Saw this image of the new lineup of first party:

Eic_0BlU8AIIv8f?format=jpg&name=large

Damn, I didn't know about this. Obsidian is in that list too. 

12 hours ago, cimerians said:

"Doom: Spartans Descending"

That would actually be an interesting "cross-over". A team of Spartans coming across a defunct portal program that accidentally gets activated and pulls the team into a Hell like mirror of their world.

• Like 1

I guess whatever odds Evercade had for getting Id software titles are now gone. I said that because the makers of Evercade made it know last week that 2 of the Piko Interactive Collection 2 titles are 32 bit. The two games were released in Europe only with one being a PS1 game and the other being a Gameboy Advance game.

The makers of Evercade asked questions on what developer or software company they want titles to be put on Evercade and Id Software has been mentioned. What some evercade owners looked at is since Evercade is power enough to do PS1 games, it can do games like Doom, Quake.

The problem I have is I don't see Microsoft allowing games to be put on compilations at cheap prices despite the makers of Evercade doing things the legal way.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

id is in there too huh? And Minecraft????? Holy shit that is a power move.

So after doing some research I found out that MS already got Minecraft in 2014 but they aren't keeping it an exclusive for some reason?

Was already on the other platforms before the buyout or in process of releasing.

7 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Well the Switch came out in 2017 and its on there and it looks like there is going to be a PS5 version as well. They must be more interested in making money on both sides than exclusives.

The Wii U version would go to the switch, as that was canned and promised support would transfer to the newer console.

It's if they put Minecraft on PS5 or a Switch II where we will find out if Microsoft will continue using Minecraft as a multiplat seller. Or if there is any sort of major expansion or real sequel released. 

To be fair, Minecraft already being on these platforms due to previous arrangements already would make it really hard to keep on just Xbox/PC they may just let it continue until it runs dry it's starting to slow down but is still really popular and may be kicking for another few years until the next "mass casual fad" game takes its place.

7 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Isn't Minecraft like the single best-selling game ever or something? That's definitely a case where you'd want it available everywhere you can publish it. It's smart of them to release it on competitors' sytems in this case, I think.

I mean if we are talking traditional gaming sales no, but if you include technicalities, slight variations, digital fronts, and mobile downloads than yeah but that seem a bit unfair. The wikipedia list of best selling titles (which is missing games btw) already irritates me since they fused all the separate lists together, it doesn't make sense to have GTA V or Wii Sports with games like Minecraft when there are alternate circumstances contributing to the sales figures. 

But eh doesn't matter that much, was never much of a fan of Minecraft and I still don't get its appeal not for me.

12 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

id is in there too huh? And Minecraft????? Holy shit that is a power move.

So after doing some research I found out that MS already got Minecraft in 2014 but they aren't keeping it an exclusive for some reason?

No Minecraft isn't an exclusive.  Hell they are actually releasing an update on PS4 to support PSVR today! 

They seem to be going with a "games as a service" strategy.