IGNORED

RespeQT 5.3 Access is Denied on COM port?

Calab

I am using an SIO2PCUSB device to connect my Atari 130XE to my Windows 10 PC. The Windows 10 PC is a headless file server, so I can't see what is happening unless I connect to it remotely. It does log me on automatically, and RespeQT is set to start when I log in.

Most times, when I try to start the connection I see a "Cannot open serial port 'COM5': Access is denied" message. If I keep clicking the connect button it will connect after a few tries.

There is nothing else using COM5 that I can find. When the connection is made everything works great. But if I change a setting, or even just opening RespeQT, I can't be guaranteed that the connection will work.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

2 hours ago, ebiguy said:

Could it be that the device is detected lately so that the COM5 port is created also too late.

I am pretty sure that this issue has nothing to do with RespeQt.

I don't think so. I can have a good connection, then change a setting. This makes RespeQT disconnect and reconnect and I get the error.

Just a guess, but maybe RespeQT doesn't release the COM port quickly enough when it disconnects.

7 hours ago, Calab said:

This makes RespeQT disconnect and reconnect and I get the error.

I know you have a headless Windows but could you get the logs when doing this operation.

7 hours ago, Calab said:

RespeQT doesn't release the COM port quickly enough when it disconnects

I am not aware of a difference between disconnect and release.

I have to check but, to my knowledge, closing the COM port is enough to release it and does it all.