IGNORED

Compute! Goblin game fix

Justin Payne

OK, I'll admit this is probably stupid but back in the day, before I took to the high seas and filled by disk box full of "treasures", I typed in a lot of games from magazines, which I'm sure a lot of you also did. One game that got a lot of gameplay was Goblin (COMPUTE! ISSUE 38 / JULY 1983 / PAGE 64). Unfortunately, there was a small bug that made it placed multiple "sad faces", which you collect, in places were they were impossible to collect w/o dying. Since the game only gives you one player, this kinda ruined the game. Although I could code in BASIC back then, I never, for some reason, fixed this bug....until today. I also changed the keys so they use A and D of the famous WASD and I modified the graphics a bit. On the cover of Compute, it shows you moving through a cemetery so I made the obstacles headstones and the goblins look more like ghosts than sad/happy faces. When you die, your head turns into a skull.
These are all very minor things but it was a fun little project getting me to remember how to code in BASIC. Who knows. Maybe I'll make a Goblins 2 with better...everything. ?

mygoblin.bas

Edited by Justin Payne
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wilheim said:

I like this game! It was attached with a basic game pack when you bought a new Atari 800XL in my country -the green tape-. Back then, I even added a machine language routine to speed up the character redefinition.

LOL! Yeah, that was pretty slow. I was thinking about doing something similar. Nice!