IGNORED

Is another SID chip the only true replacement to a broken/missing SID?

bluejay

My 6581 inside my C128 has just died. If I have it inside the computer it won't boot at all. I've searched it up and apparently real 6581s are ridiculously expensive(more expensive than a beater c64 to harvest one from) and SwinSIDs aren't compatible with paddles and mouses and there are slight differences in sound, and in general is less capable than the real SID chip. Is another 6581 the only proper replacement to a bad/missing SID chip?

Well, there's the ARMSID, which has paddle support and built in dual SIDs...

But I think it is pretty spendy...  (Then again, so would dual SIDs be...)

http://www.fpgasid.de/specifications

(I have zero experience with this.  Just something I remember reading about so I googled it..)

Edited by desiv

3 minutes ago, desiv said:

Well, there's the ARMSID, which has paddle support and built in dual SIDs...

But I think it is pretty spendy...  (Then again, so would dual SIDs be...)

http://www.fpgasid.de/specifications

(I have zero experience with this.  Just something I remember reading about so I googled it..)

Well these cost like a hundred dollars. Might as well get a C64 and harvest the SID from it.

3 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Well these cost like a hundred dollars. Might as well get a C64 and harvest the SID from it.

Agree....

SwinSIDs are the only cheap option, but as you have mentioned, they don't support paddles/mice and audio isn't the same.

(Then again, audio isn't the same among real SIDs either. ;-)

If you get a C64, to harvest a SID and/or replace your C64, you could then sell it with a SWINSID (of course, letting the buyer know).  A lot of people would probably be OK with that...  ;-)

Note that SwinSID Ultimate and SwinSID Nano are two different development branches. Together with ARMSID and FPGASID, that makes it at least four different options for replacement of an original SID chip.

Now I have to ask what might have happened that caused the SID chip in your C128 to get zapped, and if there is a risk it would happen again.

22 hours ago, carlsson said:

Now I have to ask what might have happened that caused the SID chip in your C128 to get zapped, and if there is a risk it would happen again.

I have no clue. Every once in a while my C128 outputs a black screen when I power it up, and I reseat every chip and it worked again. Sometimes it quit outputting sound so I reseat the 6581 and it would start working again. The last time it outputted the black screen I couldn't get it to boot even though I reseated every chip and cleaned all the sockets. I discovered that if I pulled the SID chip out it would work, and if I put the SID chip back in it wouldn't. I have no clue why this happened.