IGNORED

CyberVirus LOST MISSIONS now available

Songbird

CyberVirus LOST MISSIONS is now available for the Atari Lynx on a professionally molded cartridge. This game contains 9 all-new levels from the original version submitted to Atari for evaluation in 1993. Mission text and objectives are completely different than the later versions published by Songbird. Available now from Songbird. Read about it and also get a hint on another upcoming surprise release in the Songbird newsletter!

CyberVirus_LostMissions_curved_clear2_small_with_screens-510x275.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:02 PM, Songbird said:

Correct, this is a cartridge-only release. Boxes generally require printing hundreds at a time to be cost effective, so not every game will come with a box. If I see interest in a box for this game spike up around the 100 mark, then I could certainly look into it.

How about packaging it with a new-style box with a "lost missions" sticker on it?

6 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

How about packaging it with a new-style box with a "lost missions" sticker on it?

I could do that, but definitely some of the info on the box back would be incorrect -- 9 missions vs. 16, etc. Certainly, printing a sticker to put on the existing box is easy enough to do, so if that is appealing, please reply here or email me and I could consider it.

9 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Got mine today!  Carl comes through with another great release!  This is like Cyber Virus 2 in my most humble O opinions...

Excellent, glad you like it! I was so blown away when I received the original prototype around 1999. I knew I had to pursue the rights and source code so I could properly release it. And now it's come full circle, and everyone can enjoy it. :)

• Like 1

Ultravore is back on my priority list, now that I have the full Epyx dev environment running again and also re-immersed myself in 65c02 assembly for not one but two Lynx games this year (Quadromania and ???). No promises, because it needs new artwork for more characters plus some fine-tuning on the gameplay. However if I can get started on it over the winter, I'm hoping for a late 2021 release.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Songbird said:

I could do that, but definitely some of the info on the box back would be incorrect -- 9 missions vs. 16, etc. Certainly, printing a sticker to put on the existing box is easy enough to do, so if that is appealing, please reply here or email me and I could consider it.

Excellent, glad you like it! I was so blown away when I received the original prototype around 1999. I knew I had to pursue the rights and source code so I could properly release it. And now it's come full circle, and everyone can enjoy it. :)

I’d definitely be up for a sticker or something extra. I get charged import duty every purchase so extra stuff so extra stuff would always be welcome :)

Let me know Carl before I order ! ;)

• Like 1

Back on topic: I am getting some Lost Missions stickers made for the existing CyberVirus box, and also printing the Lost Missions instructions on smaller glossy cardstock. That way it can ship in a modified CyberVirus box for those who are interested. Should be available by end of October.

Is this a totally new cart aside from the Cyber-Virus cart I already bought from Songbird?  I mean is it totally new levels, missions?  If if is really different, something new, then I think I may be interested.  If it is the same stuff, Plus some new added stuff, I may have to think on it a while.

Lost Missions contains 9 totally new missions and does not contain any of the missions from the previously published version. It's a separate game ROM. From the first post in this thread:

On 9/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, Songbird said:

This game contains 9 all-new levels from the original version submitted to Atari for evaluation in 1993. Mission text and objectives are completely different than the later versions published by Songbird.

Additional explanation: Lost Missions is essentially identical to the original evaluation version submitted to Atari. The only difference is the Lost Missions name, the Songbird copyright, and a couple of grammar corrections I made to the missions text. All the intro screens, mission briefings, and mission content are from that original ROM. It was very close to being a complete game all the way back in 1993. However when I received the source code to CyberVirus around 2000, it did not contain the source for the missions from the eval version. Thus I ended up creating 16 all-new missions when I published CyberVirus in 2001.

Still hoping someday to create a full sequel to CyberVirus with 16+ new missions, new enemies, and more... I even have one new enemy coded up from way back when, but didn't design any missions to include it. Maybe after Ultravore. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 5:21 PM, Songbird said:

CyberVirus LOST MISSIONS now includes a box with a sticker on it. If you would like to purchase the box separately, you can do so here:

https://songbird-productions.com/product/lynx-game-boxes/

Thanks for all the support, and happy gaming!

Ordered! -Thank you.

On 10/2/2020 at 4:20 PM, gilsaluki said:

Is this a totally new cart aside from the Cyber-Virus cart I already bought from Songbird?  I mean is it totally new levels, missions?  If if is really different, something new, then I think I may be interested.  If it is the same stuff, Plus some new added stuff, I may have to think on it a while.

Got the Lost Missions new cart.  I have to be honest.  I don't see a lot of difference on this cart (compared to the legacy cart).  It is still hard as hell to play (for me).  Graphics, workmanship=A+.  Playability, depends.  Return-to-the-game regularly?  Questionable.  Get it only if you are a completist.  

You're right that it's essentially the same 3D game engine in both CyberVirus games. The main difference is the all-new missions included in Lost Missions. Also, it does not include the cheats which I added to the original CyberVirus release. Having said that, ammo is more plentiful here so it should be easier to take out buildings and enemies. Overall, some LM missions are harder than the original, but some are definitely easier. You can use Option 1 to skip to the next mission just so you can try them all out.