IGNORED

Is it possible to tweak ROM code?

Spydabee

I realised I didn’t need to wait for my cart, and installed Handy to test it. Looks like it might be a tad trickier to get this right - it’s as though the palette has remained unchanged, but much of the background and text is replaced by that light green that’s almost indistinguishable from the yellow.

I'm an idiot - I installed the greenified one. I've got the correct one now, which looks pretty nice, but it's nearly 1.30am and I need to work in the morning, so will have to try tomorrow :)

Edited by Spydabee
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spydabee said:

I realised I didn’t need to wait for my cart, and installed Handy to test it. Looks like it might be a tad trickier to get this right - it’s as though the palette has remained unchanged, but much of the background and text is replaced by that light green that’s almost indistinguishable from the yellow.

I'm an idiot - I installed the greenified one. I've got the correct one now, which looks pretty nice, but it's nearly 1.30am and I need to work in the morning, so will have to try tomorrow :)

Please share the colour scheme that works for you. Developers might learn something here...

I will do my best. I did have a quick play on a level with several colours and there were problems with two of them (I’ve marked the ones I think I’m confusing) in the blue range that look almost identical - not sure if one is purple. The red element in purple is very difficult for me to see. They look slightly more distinct in the grid you posted than they do in the game. 

I’ll have a go at figuring out how to edit them myself, anyway.

In general, it’s much easier for colourblind people to distinguish shades of the same colour than different colours that are a similar brightness. That’s why the original yellow and green are so problematic - the green just looks like a *very* slightly grubbier yellow.

642982A0-DD35-4C37-96DA-2B27035870E9.jpeg

On 9/23/2020 at 1:10 AM, karri said:

Here is a colour corrected version.

NewKlax.lnx 256.06 kB · 1 download

You know what? Turns out you pretty much nailed it in one! This version is good enough for me to at least stand a chance - it doesn't stop me being shit enough to never make it to the point where I need to deal with 10 colours, but I could distinguish the 8 I was just dealing with, and for that I cannot thank you enough! It also looks nicer than the original :)

As for whether it's a good solution for other colourblind players, I cannot say - would be interesting to hear from others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, karri said:

Please share the colour scheme that works for you. Developers might learn something here...

Remember Bust-a-Move (PS1, etc)? That game used a great solution to make it playable by c/b people - symbols (stars, crescents, cubes, etc) embedded within the bubbles. This allowed very easy differentiation between similar colours, and chances are most normal vision players never even realised those symbols were there.

I haven’t managed to locate a copy of Handybug, btw - is it available for Mac? 

21 hours ago, Spydabee said:

I will do my best. I did have a quick play on a level with several colours and there were problems with two of them (I’ve marked the ones I think I’m confusing) in the blue range that look almost identical - not sure if one is purple. The red element in purple is very difficult for me to see. They look slightly more distinct in the grid you posted than they do in the game. 

I’ll have a go at figuring out how to edit them myself, anyway.

In general, it’s much easier for colourblind people to distinguish shades of the same colour than different colours that are a similar brightness. That’s why the original yellow and green are so problematic - the green just looks like a *very* slightly grubbier yellow.

642982A0-DD35-4C37-96DA-2B27035870E9.jpeg

Solving this violet/blue problem is a bit tricky. We already have blue's (8, 9 , 10), yellows (11, 13, 15), reds (7, 12, 14), grey's (0, 1, 2, 3). The remaining set (4, 5, 7) could have some common hue but what could it be?

Perhaps the easiest way to solve this is to ask you for a new colour for index 5. It is the one over the blue button that you already circled.

34 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

message number 8 of this thread ;)

Thanks, I missed that point.

I didn't locate the palette because I misunderstood the ASM: the palette was at an indirect addrressing + the Y reg value as offest, I was looking at a offset from the zero page address. What a noob ?

• Haha 1