IGNORED

300Baud Phone Modem for the PEB.

Mehridian Sanders

Hello All,

Looks like I was lucky enough to collect the Phone Modem that connects to the RS232 for the PEB. 

Gonna give it a try and see if it can work. Any suggestions ? I will have the measurements for the device this week at some point. I'll be whipping out the Digital Calipers and giving measurements in MM.

• Like 1

If you mean the old handset cradle modem, I have one and used it briefly BITD. At the time all I had was one of those cheap digital landline phones with square body while the modem had foams to fit the old style round handset. So the fit wasn't the best but it did work at blazing speeds to make snails and sloths feel proud of their racing prowess. Fortunately, IO soon had a 1200 baud box and left the TI modem in the shed.

• Like 1

Back in my Terminal Emulator II days with the TI modem, I used to record my online sessions with a magnetic pickup on the phone.  That program/cartridge did not have a text buffer for scroll back, so if I wanted to go back and re-read anything I played it back for the modem to pick up.  It was lame, but considering how much Compu$erve cost at the time per minute, it was all I could do until I got a better modem and program.

• Like 3

This was lost on me. Found an aquarium type store... A financial firm that has 4 employees and rakes in 500k a year. The hidden reef shows up in World Of Warcraft.. sorry [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

https://atariage.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307457-The-Hidden-Reef-BBS#entry4552001

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

If you mean the old handset cradle modem, I have one and used it briefly BITD. At the time all I had was one of those cheap digital landline phones with square body while the modem had foams to fit the old style round handset. So the fit wasn't the best but it did work at blazing speeds to make snails and sloths feel proud of their racing prowess. Fortunately, IO soon had a 1200 baud box and left the TI modem in the shed.

In the 80s, I had modems come and go. The nicest I ever had was some 1200 Hayes clone from the cheapest seller in Computer Shopper, and it got fried after a year while replacing the reed switch.  In 1988-89 all I had was an acoustic coupler, a Novation "Apple CAT", 300 baud. Fortunately, I had a big rotary-dial desk phone from a garage sale. I used the Apple CAT for almost a year with Telco. It was OK for BBSing, not so great for logging into the local free telnet/ftp gateway to get files.  In college,  I had a 9600 serial line to my dorm, for which Fast-Term was expressly designed. So I forgot about modems for a while, until I moved off campus. But I still have that  CAT and a TI acoustic coupler.