IGNORED

Documentation for the TI portion of Mame

atrax27407

Looks like mizapf beat me to it - ninerpedia is a good resource (https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MAME_TI_emulation_usage)

Actually, I was back on trying to get MAME working again yesterday - with a little success - I think the script is correct now, but the roms aren't being seen even though I copied them to the roms folder.

You mean the system ROMs or the cartridge ROMs? What is the error message? Like: "994a_rom_hb.u610 NOT FOUND"?

If you specify "-rompath <myactualrompath>" in the command line, will it work? (Replace <myactualrompath> with something like F:\mame\roms or /home/user/mame/roms)

6 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Now I'm looking for thr MAME/PC equivalent keystrokes for the TI FCTN keys. Particularly FCTN=.

Is this helpful:

The actual PC keyboard under this map is a German 105-key keyboard, but you may have similar mappings.

Edited by mizapf

8 hours ago, mizapf said:

You mean the system ROMs or the cartridge ROMs? What is the error message? Like: "994a_rom_hb.u610 NOT FOUND"?

If you specify "-rompath <myactualrompath>" in the command line, will it work? (Replace <myactualrompath> with something like F:\mame\roms or /home/user/mame/roms)

Exactly that sort of message:

$ mame-ti.sh 
994a_rom_hb.u610 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_4a)
994a_rom_lb.u611 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_4a)
994a_grom0.u500 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_4a)
994a_grom1.u501 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_4a)
994a_grom2.u502 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_4a)
cd2325a.u2a NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_speech)
cd2326a.u2b NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_speech)
pcode_grom0.u11 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom1.u13 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom2.u14 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom3.u16 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom4.u19 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom5.u20 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom6.u21 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_grom7.u22 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_rom0.u1 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
pcode_rom1.u18 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_pcode)
rs232pio_dsr.u1 NOT FOUND (tried in ti99_4a ti99_rs232)
Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

I just tried out the -rompath option, which seemed to have no affect.  Is it possible the roms are, like my scripts, out of date?

/usr/share/games/mame/roms$ ll
-rw-------  1 root root  26762 Feb 19  2012 ti99_4a.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  37582 Apr  4  2011 ti99_4ev.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  35863 Feb 19  2012 ti99_4p.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  21232 Jul 12  2013 ti99_4qi.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  21780 Feb 19  2012 ti99_4.zip
-rw-------  1 root root 156345 Dec 11  2013 ti99_8.zip
-rw-------  1 root root   7488 Feb 19  2012 ti99_bwg.zip
-rw-------  1 root root   4725 Feb 19  2012 ti99_fdc.zip
-rw-------  1 root root   6028 Jul 13  2014 ti99_gkracker.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  11835 Feb 19  2012 ti99_hfdc.zip
-rw-------  1 root root   6107 Feb 19  2012 ti99_myarcmem.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  39949 Feb 19  2012 ti99_pcode.zip
-rw-------  1 root root   1800 Feb 19  2012 ti99_rs232.zip
-rw-------  1 root root  62677 Aug  3  2013 ti99_speech.zip

I tried both the system location above and the set of roms in my home folder (in case there was something wrong with having no permissions to the files other than viewing, such above)

I feel like it's so close but yet so far :(

12 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Yes, sure, your ROMs have timestamps before 2014. They are outdated. Get a new set from WHTech.

This is the reason why I put together this information: https://www.mizapf.de/ti99/mame/changes (Release 0.174 is from 2016)

Thank you for the pointers.

I'll try those ROMs out shortly.

Cool - I've got that page bookmarked now with the other MAME material.  :D

I know that some people are a bit annoyed that MAME is often changing things so their configuration does not work anymore ... but this is not the case, at least in the perceived way. As you can see on my web page, "disruptive" changes are rare. I only changed the ROM dumps once, with release 0.174. The command line arguments were changed with release 0.186. The single cartridge file support (*g.bin) was already dropped with 0.131. This is a period of 8 years.

I can just appeal to everyone's understanding that sometimes you have to change things to get out of a dead end and to reach new goals. None of the changes were done inconsiderately.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I can just appeal to everyone's understanding that sometimes you have to change things to get out of a dead end and to reach new goals. None of the changes were done inconsiderately.

I can understand that - it's just no fun having your setup broken - especially with some a project as large (and sorta clunky if we are honest) as MAME/MESS, where getting things set up and working has traditionally been notoriously.... convoluted.

It pays to ask the right person - in this case, the unquestioned authority Michael Zapf. Using the cursor arrow keys (i.e., "<" and ">") toggle between the configurations of both the EVPC and the Horizon. Michael also advised that "Alt" plus the number corresponds to the TI function keys. Now, if there was a way to restrict the BWG to having three drives, my world would be complete.  ?

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

Now, if there was a way to restrict the BWG to having three drives, my world would be complete.  ?

On-screen display, DIP switches, BwG drives. Using the arrow keys, change between "DSK1 only", "DSK1-DSK2", "DSK1-DSK3", "DSK1-DSK4".

If you wonder why some settings are found in "Machine configuration", some in "DIP switches": The latter ones are actually DIP switch settings on the controller card.

@WhataKowinkydinkI could write long elaborations about how closely related English and German are (without being a linguist). In this case, Ordnung and order are actually descendants of the Latin ordo and not of Germanic origin. If someone decides to study Old English, I'd recommend to add modern German on top; you won't get it cheaper.

German actually adopted "O.K." long ago, pronounced in German style, of course. The corresponding term in German is "In Ordnung!".

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

DIP switches cannot be activated or deactivated from the command line, unfortunately. But you can set the DIP switch in the OSD menu, and they will keep their states for the next startup.

The only problem is that when you run MAME without the P-Card, the switch setting will be lost. However, you can work around that: Normally, the settings are stored in a file ti99_4a.cfg in the cfg directory. In order to keep this file and not get it overwritten, you can set up a special cfg directory (like cfg_pcode) which will serve as config directory only for the TI with P-Code. Create a script/batch file that includes the setting "-cfg_directory cfg_pcode".

• Like 2