IGNORED

The arcade classic “Popeye” is coming to the Atari 7800!

Pac-Lander

ARTICLE: http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/09/popeye-classic-arcade-game-is-coming-to.html?m=1

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wEMLb4Ex_vQ

“Now here's a blast from the past, as we've just been informed that the classic Arcade game of 'Popeye', is coming to the Atari 7800 as an Arcade conversion by SeeSaw(Darryl Guenther). In a similar vein to Donkey Kong albeit not as good, you play as Popeye and must collect hearts, musical notes and the letters H-E-L-P that the lovable character Olive drops from the top of the screen. But be warned, just like the cartoon, Brutus will get in your way with the help of the bad Sea Hag!”

24FA4AE4-CCB6-4E97-AAE4-A9C1A1396F00.jpeg

• Like 13

9 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

In a similar vein to Donkey Kong albeit not as good, 

Ouch...

While I love me some Donkey Kong, I also really loved Popeye in the arcade and can't remember playing it and thinking "Darn, I should have played DK instead."  ;-)

I think both are great games...

Really looking forward to this port and thanx for the review!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, desiv said:

Ouch...

While I love me some Donkey Kong, I also really loved Popeye in the arcade and can't remember playing it and thinking "Darn, I should have played DK instead."  ;-)

Popeye was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day; I played it at the local comic shop in the neighboring city every time that I visited there.  Because I was such a huge fan of Popeye to begin with (particularly the early Fleischer-era shorts), I remember being blown away by how amazing the graphics and animation were for the day compared to similar games.  Nowadays, I have to admit after having played both games that Donkey Kong is the superior game in terms of design and replay value, but back then as a youngster it was no contest -- Popeye blew Donkey Kong away for me in terms of enthusiasm and devotion, and I think that I will always have a tremendous fondness and nostalgia for it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, desiv said:

Ouch...

DK was everywhere.  Popeye was not.  So if I was in an arcade with Popeye, chances are I was playing that and not DK.

• Like 1

Congo Bongo better than both come at me bro.

Was never big fan of DK or Popeye I liked Congo because of the perspective. Felt more involved.

I did enjoy rounds of Popeye so seeing it on 7800 will be good though graphics seem very strange for characters? Maybe limitation of system.

Edited by ColecoKing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ColecoKing said:

Congo Bongo better than both come at me bro.

Was never big fan of DK or Popeye I liked Congo because of the perspective. Felt more involved.

I did enjoy rounds of Popeye so seeing it on 7800 will be good though graphics seem very strange for characters? Maybe limitation of system.

God I'd love it if someone did a full game for that Congo Bongo 7800 mockup someone did awhile back. (hint hint to whoever did it)

Popeye looks interesting! I like all of these games, so the more the merrier. 

Edited by SearsRoebuck
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see a Popeye on the 7800. I'd also like to see Mr. Do! These were among my favorite arcade games back in the day. 

I'd love to see Legendary Wings too someday. That was another favorite. 

I don't know the first thing about programming, however, so I can't do it. so maybe someone someday will try it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 12:55 PM, FroggoGamer said:

I'd love to see a Popeye on the 7800. I'd also like to see Mr. Do! These were among my favorite arcade games back in the day. 

I'd love to see Legendary Wings too someday. That was another favorite. 

I don't know the first thing about programming, however, so I can't do it. so maybe someone someday will try it. 

Maybe I can try some Legendary Wings music on POKEY?  Using NES as a reference maybe ...

• Like 3

On 9/23/2020 at 11:51 AM, desiv said:

Really looking forward to this port...

On 9/23/2020 at 11:09 PM, NostAlgae37 said:

Popeye was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day...Popeye blew Donkey Kong away for me in terms of enthusiasm and devotion, and I think that I will always have a tremendous fondness and nostalgia for it.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, Dauber said:

I MUCH preferred Popeye over DK. Still do!

On 9/24/2020 at 11:42 PM, SearsRoebuck said:

Popeye looks interesting! I like all of these games, so the more the merrier. 

On 10/6/2020 at 12:55 PM, FroggoGamer said:

I'd love to see a Popeye on the 7800.

On 10/7/2020 at 12:12 PM, Lord Thag said:

This is coming along nicely! Seems pretty zippy too, which many of the other ports are not.  I'll definitely be playing this when it releases.

10 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

YES!  Popeye has been on my wishlist for the Atari 7800!  Keep us posted.  I want a copy of it!

Folks, having the privilege to test and witness the development, Darryl is quite frankly knocking it out of the park with this one.  Having some great developers providing assistance with game code and music, Darryl has brought an amazing port to fruition.  Whether you're coming in fresh as a first time player, the casual Arcade player, or an expert of the game, this is very playable and enjoyable.

It's quite exciting and will be a fantastic addition to the 7800 library.  It will be the best version available for a console, bar none:

Here's an updated public video from Darryl, posted yesterday, on YouTube:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

I would like to buy one CIB when it comes out as well. I have been playing the Colecovision version over the years and love the game. I find myself buying different ports of the games I enjoy. Do most of you stick to one port (nes, atari, colecovision etc) or do you buy the same game for a different console when it comes out, just curious?

Edited by funcool

This is incredible!  The sound is amazing, especially considering how the 7800 has been criticized for its poor sound (Donkey Kong and Mario Bros anyone?).  What's more - it looks JUST LIKE THE ARCADE VERSION!  I remember the NES port and as good as it was, I never liked how small the sprites of Popeye and company looked. 

2 hours ago, funcool said:

Do most of you stick to one port (nes, atari, colecovision etc) or do you buy the same game for a different console when it comes out, just curious?

Variety is the spice of life; hence my video game cabinet goes from 2600 to SNES and external of the cabinet includes Dreamcast, PS2, 360, PS3, Switch.

While I wouldn't purchase the same game across modern consoles, 16 bit or older, absolutely!  They all have their own 'personality'.  I already have Popeye for the 2600, ColecoVision, NES.  The game's home personality is best here on the 7800 though.

2 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

The arcade sounds are outta this world!! 

2 hours ago, gambler172 said:

A file for testing,would be great.....only good graphic is not all... gameplay must be well too.

I know many Popeye ports,which look good,but

do not play very well....

How many k does the game have?

Thankfully, the game is leveraging the intent and design of the console by utilizing an external sound chip.  While the Arcade utilizes an AY-3-8910A for sound, @Synthpopalooza really makes the POKEY being utilized her shine, along with help from @Pat Brady and @mksmith; Darryl incorporated the code beautifully.

2 hours ago, gambler172 said:

A file for testing,would be great.....only good graphic is not all... gameplay must be well too.

I know many Popeye ports,which look good,but

do not play very well....

How many k does the game have?

Falling back on the retail library more "k" does not mean a better game:

RealSports Baseball = 64K

Pete Rose Baseball = 32K

While neither are worth writing home about, Pete Rose looks and plays worlds better than RealSports Baseball.

In this case though, the game is 144K - with animations, intros, and interludes in place, along with the assistance @RevEng as well, the game is making quite excellent use of the space. 7800basic is a dream for many to utilize along with Atari Dev Studio, but I have to state @darryl1970 pickup and development is some of the fastest I've ever had the pleasure of being a witness.

This was not so long ago...

image.thumb.png.037d2029edaa5ec5c55363963e3971a9.png

In about two months he went from providing a Popeye mini-game incorporating some elements form the first board to the entire game with bells and whistles, polish included.

Wasn't expecting it, but very happy it has happened...in full glory.

• Like 8