IGNORED

The arcade classic “Popeye” is coming to the Atari 7800!

Pac-Lander

1 hour ago, 7800Knight said:

This version of Congo Bongo looks OUTSTANDING!  

This looks so much better than many of the home ports of Congo Bongo we got; the Atari 7800 can do a 3/4 isometric view.  Look at Desert Falcon. 

That's just a mock up from photoshop using the *potential* display, based on 7800 specs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trebor said:

Thankfully, the game is leveraging the intent and design of the console by utilizing an external sound chip.  While the Arcade utilizes an AY-3-8910A for sound, @Synthpopalooza really makes the POKEY being utilized her shine, along with help from @Pat Brady and @mksmith; Darryl incorporated the code beautifully.

Falling back on the retail library more "k" does not mean a better game:

RealSports Baseball = 64K

Pete Rose Baseball = 32K

While neither are worth writing home about, Pete Rose looks and plays worlds better than RealSports Baseball.

In this case though, the game is 144K - with animations, intros, and interludes in place, along with the assistance @RevEng as well, the game is making quite excellent use of the space. 7800basic is a dream for many to utilize along with Atari Dev Studio, but I have to state @darryl1970 pickup and development is some of the fastest I've ever had the pleasure of being a witness.

This was not so long ago...

image.thumb.png.037d2029edaa5ec5c55363963e3971a9.png

In about two months he went from providing a Popeye mini-game incorporating some elements form the first board to the entire game with bells and whistles, polish included.

Wasn't expecting it, but very happy it has happened...in full glory.

Great work and superb development team! :thumbsup:

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Trebor said:

In about two months he went from providing a Popeye mini-game incorporating some elements form the first board to the entire game with bells and whistles, polish included.

I remember this early post and some of us asking for more cowbell, but I never expected this. Great job everyone and thank you. @darryl1970this is amazing!

• Like 2

After watching the video of the 7800 Popeye, I wanted to bring up the NES port again for reference.

hqdefault.jpg

While the NES version was a good conversion and in fact one of the stronger ones (it was one of the "black box" titles), I never liked how small the sprites are of Popeye, Bluto and Olive Oyl.

The 7800 version gets it right; I can't tell the difference between the arcade version and the 7800 port!

Edited by 7800Knight
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Trebor said:

I hope that asking this question doesn't make me seem critical or ungrateful (as this port is already providing far greater fidelity to the arcade version than any previous home version, including the NES), but I was wondering if the screen-shaking will be re-implemented at some point?  Is this something that is still being looked into or is it just not possible for technical reasons?  Thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NostAlgae37 said:

I hope that asking this question doesn't make me seem critical or ungrateful (as this port is already providing far greater fidelity to the arcade version than any previous home version, including the NES), but I was wondering if the screen-shaking will be re-implemented at some point?  Is this something that is still being looked into or is it just not possible for technical reasons?  Thanks.

Screen shaking? Like when Brutus jumps down you mean?

Edited by Jinks

8 hours ago, Jinks said:

Screen shaking? Like when Brutus jumps down you mean?

Yes of course, Brutus causes the screen to shake at certain times.  I think that it was eliminated after one of the early demos for technical reasons.  See item# 1 in 9/1/2020 entry here:

"Used "double buffer" to get rid of the random garbage (Cannot shake the screen with the double buffer) :( "

• Like 1

Looking fwd to trying this! I love the NES version, but finally got the chance to play the arcade a bit at local arcade recently & am HORRIBLE at it. IDK just seems WAY tougher. Regardless it's still a sentimental game, being it is the second arcade game I ever remember seeing lol The first was Pleaides & both were at the convienence store next door to where my family lived early on in the 80's.

Anyways looks like a great conversion, thanks for going through with it!

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 2