IGNORED

[Brainstorming] How would you name the next Xbox after Series S/X?

IntelliMission

Xbox naming is terrible!   Think of parents/grandparents who don't follow this stuff looking to buy one for their kids.  When they named the third Xbox the "One",  I wonder how many kids who asked for the "new Xbox" got a 360, because obviously the new Xbox couldn't be Xbox 1!  

Now we will have Xbox One X and Xbox Series X being sold side by side,  I forsee many people receiving the wrong one because of similar naming.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

New Xbox Series X or Xbox U seeing as they're going down the Nintendo route of bloody stupid confusing naming schemes. Xbox Series X was easily the dumbest name they could have come up with, proven by how many people have accidentally bought the wrong bloody console already.

I'm not sure there's really any saving them now. If they're staying with the two tier thing, then it needs to be the distinction. I personally liked the SAD naming for the discless one so: SAD Xbox for the entry level and Beefy Xbox for the big one. It's no less stupid than what they came up with.

• Thanks 1

Microsoft's Windows naming was just as bad

1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 95, 98!

Then the high-end version was called "NT" while the consumer version was named after the year,   Until Windows 2000, which was the successor to NT not 98, and "ME" was the final consumer version.

Then the unified version is called XP, Vista, and finally back to version numbers:  7, 8, 10  (skipping 9 because reasons)

• 1 month later...
I am not sure they will release more consoles at all. Sony will probably have beaten them to a pulp by then.

I think they will. The payment plans they are setting up for people to buy a console and also get their game pass at the same time could potentially catch on like wildfire.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, zzip said:

Microsoft's Windows naming was just as bad

1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 95, 98!

Then the high-end version was called "NT" while the consumer version was named after the year,   Until Windows 2000, which was the successor to NT not 98, and "ME" was the final consumer version.

Then the unified version is called XP, Vista, and finally back to version numbers:  7, 8, 10  (skipping 9 because reasons)

Nope, it was worse then that:

1.0, 2.0, 286, 386, 3.0, 3.1, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, 95, 98, ME... 

6 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I think they will. The payment plans they are setting up for people to buy a console and also get their game pass at the same time could potentially catch on like wildfire.

I just assumed Microsoft would continue screwing up the Xbox series (after the good start), but I have now read a little about it, and it seems competitive. Being able to play top games on Android phones, if they can actually deliver that, should be very appealing to millennials. 

The only downside to the Xbox X is that if recent history tells us anything, it is that it will have less exclusive titles. And that is a major turn off.

But I agree with you that it is sufficiently good to make another console likely.

So, here's how I see it: 

1st system: Xbox 

2nd: 360

3rd: One

Fourth: Series

The X & S have become a marker for what 'level' of console you have- S is budget, X is standard.

I think the previously mention 'first' and 'edition' are strong contenders. I could see them bringing back the E label to refer to a full powered discless model. 

Or I could see them realizing the continued use of the same handful of terms is confusing their brand, & actually come up with a real name. Like Xian, which in Chinese means 'refined' and/or references immortality. Plus, they can abbreviate it to Xbox X, just to prove they haven't changed! ?