IGNORED

Lynx Prototypes Found: Rolling Thunder, GeoDuel, Vindicators, MORE

MacRorie

Folks,

I have come upon some previously (I think) unknown prototypes.  Their provenance is pretty iron-clad and I was given permission to do with them as I will.  I am still going through them and I still have a few projects ahead of them (getting 250 FujiNets out the door, CF32ECI, CF32PBI, 1035, SIO2PC, and some other items), but I wanted to put these out here as a sample of what was found.  I will be releasing these just as I did the other ones via my website. https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-lynx

It is possible that *ALL* of these are prototypes of the listed games.  It could be that only some are prototypes and others are completed games.  Some are playable.  Others, like, Cabal, for example, are only a collection of screens.  AT least one is DEFINITELY NSFW. I have not gotten through all 95 files yet.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

-M

Moderator Edit: Please see this comment for details of the download link, etc. 

Rolling Thunder Video:

https://youtu.be/mFC0bN9ZEMo

Wolfman video: 

62242305951__7B51B91C-C55E-4DA2-90D1-31B36A07630B.JPG

62242040989__69A1B203-94B3-4DA4-A3D5-A608967E4A0E.JPG

62241782543__A2675D73-6D04-4C14-912B-EF072DAC85B0.JPG

62241781705__60E32F45-194A-4906-89A4-794A80BEE494.JPG

62241674648__8BE88F74-A991-4CC1-92AA-95F15204F05F.JPG62240723132__E2EAC020-17CA-40B3-ADA0-F287E5456153.JPG

Lynx_Dir List.pdf

62240626680__E039C01F-97FC-44BE-8D1B-25DD922144A7.JPG

62240789457__AAB1E7E4-A2DF-488E-9E0A-F705804404D2 2.JPG

62240723838__1900A93D-3908-42A1-9616-F78D5D856E8A.JPG

Edited by Igor
Added two pictures
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, Marlin!!! This is incredible. Fingers crossed that Vindicators is playable!

Also: what the hell are Norton, Cop, Friendly, Fullcolour, Jet, Quest, and Twinpack Twopack? I've also never seen mention of The Wolfman on any release list...I wonder if this was meant to be just a demo or a standalone game? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Thanks, Marlin!!! This is incredible. Fingers crossed that Vindicators is playable!

Also: what the hell are Norton and Twinpack? I've also never seen mention of The Wolfman on any release list...I wonder if this was meant to be just a demo or a standalone game?

Vindicators **IS** playable . . . 

but only one level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Also: what the hell are Norton and Twinpack? I've also never seen mention of The Wolfman on any release list...I wonder if this was meant to be just a demo or a standalone game?

Norton is just a INI file for I presume a backup.

Twinpack is probably Asteroids/Missle Command, but I have not played with it yet

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Dirty Larry: The Nude Years. :P

Just noticed that DD is different from Double Dragon. Another mystery!

DD is named D & D on the disk label.  I had high hopes . . . .but it's Gauntlet.  Which checks out since Lynx Gauntlet was just a re-name of Epyx's D&D-type by Atari in order to connect it to an existing property.

• Like 1

This is fantastic MacRorie! ... Just seen your Rolling Thunder video earlier, and I sent it over to one of the developers who did the last iteration of the game.  He's confirmed that the prototype you have is the earlier abandoned conversion by Matt Markwalder. Brilliant to see his version saved.

Vindicators will be very interesting to see up and running.   Look forward to checking them out and thanks for the great work!

Edited by fgasking
Spotted that MacRorie says Vindicators only has one level, so corrected my message.
  • Like 2

Once again, huge thanks go out to Scott Stilphen, Frank Gasking and MacRorie, for all the material provided and work done bringing finds like these to the community. 

For years we had nothing but speculation, old games press, a few soundbites on so many of these titles. 

And now we have the full stories behind Rolling Thunder and Vindicators, screens from Cabal, playable level of Vindicators, footage of first version Rolling Thunder. 

Utterly outstanding work by all and a real community effort. 

Now all we need is someone to find and share Lynx Metal Mutant. 

Never say never. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Once again, huge thanks go out to Scott Stilphen, Frank Gasking and MacRorie, for all the material provided and work done bringing finds like these to the community. 

For years we had nothing but speculation, old games press, a few soundbites on so many of these titles. 

And now we have the full stories behind Rolling Thunder and Vindicators, screens from Cabal, playable level of Vindicators, footage of first version Rolling Thunder. 

Utterly outstanding work by all and a real community effort. 

Now all we need is someone to find and share Lynx Metal Mutant. 

Never say never. 

For Metal Mutants, we would have to contact former Silmarils employees then...

27 minutes ago, 4ever2600 said:

I'm hoping that DD is something to do with the Dungeon Master clone they were working on as their is already a doubledr file, though its probably just double dragon.  

On 9/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Dirty Larry: The Nude Years. :P

Just noticed that DD is different from Double Dragon. Another mystery!

DD is named D & D on the disk label.  I had high hopes . . . .but it's Gauntlet.  Which checks out since Lynx Gauntlet was just a re-name of Epyx's D&D-type by Atari in order to connect it to an existing property.

• Like 1