IGNORED

Lynx Prototypes Found: Rolling Thunder, GeoDuel, Vindicators, MORE

MacRorie

2 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Mac, did you get a chance to check to see if the fullcourt room is truly the prototype of the unreleased Full Court Press prototype?  Appears that may be another one as someone else pointed out.  

You ever have one of those moments where you KNOW you answered an email only to discover you only answered it in your head?

Yeah, sorry about that.

It *IS* Full Court Press.  It is an early demo and I will post a video of it ASAP.

BTW, I also tried Batman and BattleZone.  Batman is, unfortunately, still @#$%^&*( hard to the point of being playable (you know just like the retail release).

Battlezone is a playable demo, but it is different than the other prototype I found.

Speaking of which, just to keep things straight, I am referring to THIS current batch of prototypes as Batch 2 or Second Batch.  I will append a letter to that when releasing them in videos.  The LAST batch of photos that I got (5 EPROM boards off of eBay after being first mentioned here) will be referred to as the "First Batch" or Batch 1.  This is important because the prototypes are (so far) significantly different from each other even when their title is the same.

I will be posting videos as I have time.  In the meantime, thanks for all the questions and stay tuned!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 3:49 PM, MacRorie said:

Vindicators **IS** playable . . . 

but only one level.

Having played around with it a bit, there are TWO levels!  If you select an odd numbered starting level, you get level one... select even, and you get level two.  Thanks again for make repros available. ?

1 hour ago, legeek said:

Having played around with it a bit, there are TWO levels!  If you select an odd numbered starting level, you get level one... select even, and you get level two.  Thanks again for make repros available. ?

Very cool.  I thought there were different levels!  So much good Lynx gameplay there, wish it would have come out.

NEW VIDEOS:

The first video is about the three different versions of The Guardians: Storm Over Doria I have.  One is VERY playable. You can do things that advance the game, the shopkeeper actually sells things!  You can kill monsters. DON'T DIE, however, as it resets the game! The GUARDIAN.02 version is almost a complete game, really.

The second one is  . . . "Full Court Press"  

https://youtu.be/HRqbYLxaqZM

It is a DEMO of a basketball game.  You can dribble the ball up and down the court, look at screenshots of cheerleaders and a coach drilling a team, select different teams and do everything EXCEPT score baskets! "-)

All of them can be found here:  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-lynx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11 de noviembre de 2020 at 6:08 PM, MacRorie said:

NEW VIDEOS:

The first video is about the three different versions of The Guardians: Storm Over Doria I have.  One is VERY playable. You can do things that advance the game, the shopkeeper actually sells things!  You can kill monsters. DON'T DIE, however, as it resets the game! The GUARDIAN.02 version is almost a complete game, really.

The second one is  . . . "Full Court Press"  

https://youtu.be/HRqbYLxaqZM

It is a DEMO of a basketball game.  You can dribble the ball up and down the court, look at screenshots of cheerleaders and a coach drilling a team, select different teams and do everything EXCEPT score baskets! "-)

All of them can be found here:  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-lynx

No ****ing way! We have footage of Full Court Press for Lynx at last :)

Wow, Full Court Press looks really impressive.  Too bad it never got further (or did it?).

Is there a summary of all the prototypes you found and how complete they are or if they're different than the roms that are already out there?  The information seems to be spread out throughout this thread in bits and pieces.

1 hour ago, 4ever2600 said:

Say Tempest, why didn't you ever have a Lynx or Jaguar section on your website?  That would be a great addition!  So much to offer on the Lynx!

I wouldn't touch Jaguar stuff with a 30 foot pole, those people are insane.

As for Lynx, I always meant to, I just never got around to it.  It's not my area of expertise and there are people who could do a much better job at it than I could. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Tempest said:

I wouldn't touch Jaguar stuff with a 30 foot pole, those people are insane.

As for Lynx, I always meant to, I just never got around to it.  It's not my area of expertise and there are people who could do a much better job at it than I could. 

Hahahahhahahaha! ?  Thats awesome.  Oh stop,  you'd do just as good a job as you do the rest of your games!  Oh well, maybe someday...

5 hours ago, mmbe said:

Has anyone picked up Ninja Nerd? It's one of the ones I'm interested in getting but was curious as to how playable it really is.  The video doesn't make it very clear.  I know you can skip levels.

I can make another video if you like.  What are you looking to see?  

I will do the best I can with it, but no snarky comments about my game-playing abilities ;-)

-M

On 12/25/2020 at 5:46 AM, Tempest said:

Wow, Full Court Press looks really impressive.  Too bad it never got further (or did it?).

Is there a summary of all the prototypes you found and how complete they are or if they're different than the roms that are already out there?  The information seems to be spread out throughout this thread in bits and pieces.

Two places really:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-lynx

and

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCYxOe-iSI9Ow3gZhafmaYQ

I know it is not all compiled into a comprehensive document/video, but it really is being down as I can steal time from other things.  Not that this isn't important, it's just that everything else is equally important as well! I will find more time to go through the files in the next few weeks.

-M

3 hours ago, MacRorie said:

I can make another video if you like.  What are you looking to see?  

I will do the best I can with it, but no snarky comments about my game-playing abilities ;-)

-M

Your one video just shows the character walking from left to right and changing appearance. No real game play. Maybe you could show a sample of the different levels. How playable is it compared to the different versions of Guardian Storms Over Doria?

My game-playing abilities aren't the best either so I would be the last one to make a snarky comment about someone else's skills ;-).

Thanks for offering to make another video.

On 12/26/2020 at 4:57 PM, mmbe said:

Your one video just shows the character walking from left to right and changing appearance. No real game play. Maybe you could show a sample of the different levels. How playable is it compared to the different versions of Guardian Storms Over Doria?

My game-playing abilities aren't the best either so I would be the last one to make a snarky comment about someone else's skills ;-).

Thanks for offering to make another video.

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/5DsyE_dcxYs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

It's like at some point you can choose between a barbarian, a coold dude and a nerd, so weird

I suppose the three character can't be freely selected during gameplay but the second and the third are an evolution of the nerd by taking some powerup (or nuclear pollution from that green slime you can see in the screen). Changing the character could be a testing option to be removed in the final release.

Yeah, and still haven't made the connection on where the ninja part came in??  Yeah, nerd I get, but could have been called nuclear nerd.  At least it would have tied into the story with the toxic goo.  A ninja he is not...

One cool thing I noticed playing the game is, on the very first level, one of the back ground posters appears to say,  time travel.  The levels of the game seems to support that as they look like you are moving through different time eras.

Anyone else catch that?

An idea that I'm sure many of my fellow Lynx programmers will find really interesting, would be to take one of this advanced prototype and, reusing the assets, recreate the full game from scratch (with some personal interpretation of what the game would have been).

Ninja nerd sounds like a good pick (name would need to change because ninja, he is not :D)

3 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

An idea that I'm sure many of my fellow Lynx programmers will find really interesting, would be to take one of this advanced prototype and, reusing the assets, recreate the full game from scratch (with some personal interpretation of what the game would have been).

Ninja nerd sounds like a good pick (name would need to change because ninja, he is not :D)

Some of the code could also be reused. This could be a nice project, if you start it I'm in (and for free ?).