IGNORED

Home Built Power Battery Power Pack

gilsaluki

I have used rechargeable batteries in my Lynx II in the past. For some reason the actual rechargeable-type AA batts are a tad thicker in diameter, meaning it's a very tight fit to insert 6 batts in the LYNX II batt compartment and it is hard as H*ll to get the batt door back on (or back off). 

That got me to thinking, how about constructing my own battery pack.  Get a 6-cell battery holder for AA batteries, then wire a barrel-type connector lead to it.. Wha la, cheap-o battery pack.  No more trying to shove the rechargeable batts into the unit's compartment. Has anyone done that?  What are the specs (size) for the power connector, the barrel? Polarity?

I ran entirely on batteries in Portland Retro Gaming Expo. I did buy plastic rectangular battery holders with an on/off switch for AA batteries. Buying two dozens of AA batteries was easier than trying to get chargable cells in the hand luggage.

Then I just soldered a long cord to the pack so that people could play the games when standing on the other side of the table.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:48 PM, mmbe said:

Would you post some pictures of your completed project along with a parts lists?

Battery Box can be purchased for a little as $2.50 on eBay.  Or for about $7 on Amazon.  The right-angle power connector can be had at Console5 for about $3.  Simply solder the wire of your choice.  The wire I used was just what I had on hand.  I am getting about 4 hours of play on Energizer Rechargeable batts.  I used to insert them into the unit, but it was VERY tight fit and stressed the Battery cover.  So, now this is what I use.

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Makara said:

Simpler solution - get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072QZP9VH/

...and one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HETP-Portable-25800mAh-Black-Red-Capacity/dp/B07W5YG32K/

Play for days, no mods needed.

Thanks for that.  But I had the parts and the rechargeable batteries just sitting around.  Those options are pricier.  Mine only cost about $7 total to make.  

18 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Thanks for that.  But I had the parts and the rechargeable batteries just sitting around.  Those options are pricier.  Mine only cost about $7 total to make.  

Using a battery bank plus the switchable cord kit would cost over $40.  Not bad, but I can use the money else where.