IGNORED

WonderSwan Crystal game recommendations for English player

ColecoKing

I have obtained a Wonderswan Crystal console and would like some recommendations of good games I can play even though I can't speak lick of Japanese. Hopefully for not too expensive price, even better if Atariage member have some for sale. I have limited knowledge of the library it was given to me from a friend and works.

One game I have is Final Fantasy, I have no idea what anything says some gibberish lol, but will keep it because maybe I can sell it to someone from Japan on Ebay as they will appreciate it more than I will. I also heard that was one of the few popular games there.

I have the Guilty Gear petit fighting game which is playable.

Badly made Mega Man game based on internet series.

A pool game.

That's all I have so far, looking for recommendations for an English player. I don't know if this changes anything but I have Wonderswan Crystal which I am told plays all the Wonderswan games is that true? Does it have it's own exclusives? It is a very strange and unique handheld and I want to get the full experience.

I'm not picky on genre just as long as it's playable to English speaker. I also want to know if possible if there maybe good accessories for the system or if there is any weakness of Crystal Wonderswan over other models?

Thank you.

I have a couple of Wonderswans. They're cool little handhelds, though it would be nice if there were an easily accessible LCD upgrade available (there is one available, but they only ship inside China).

One thing you might want to consider is getting the WS Flash Masta. That way, you can test out the games to see if you like them before purchasing carts. Also, some games have translations available, and the WS Flash Masta allows you to play the translated versions.

One game that I really enjoy on the Wonderswan is Kaze no Klonoa. If you like the Klonoa series, it's a cool little handheld version, though it's not a color game. Other non-color releases worth checking out are Makaimura (Ghosts and Goblins) and Rainbow Islands.

Some good color games are Dicing Knight, Judgment Silversword, and Mr. Driller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My recommendations:

Rhyme Rider Kerocian- a rythmn game that has you hold the system on an angle. You'll want a complete copy as the vib-ribbon style gameplay isn't explained on cart, you'll need the chart from the manual to learn the bottom cues.

Wuz ⬆️ b? Produce: Street Dancer- another more traditional rythmn game, still has you flipping the console around from stage to stage. Kind of a pain to find becuase of that arrow in the title.

Xi Little- portable Devil Dice/ Bombastic. You like those? You'll like this.

Tane O Maku Tori- puzzle game based on the Japanese Fortune Ladder game.

Second'ing Klonoa... easily the best Wonderswan titles I own. Sadly, as I recall, original B&W wonderswan titles don't get a color upgrade on the later systems. The screen quality on the Crystal still makes it very worthwhile though!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a wonderswan, not color (hence "crystal) not sure if it's like neo geo pocket where the standard systems take the same carts, just monochrome on the regular system and color on the color system.

I liked the system well enough, and the ability to properly play vertical if games were programmed to, but as far as I'm aware, the system never officially released in America, luckily ebay was a thing so getting weird stuff like this wasn't a problem at the time, but most games aren't regionalized for English, and it appears most the library was often fairly story heavy, so I never got much into it.

2 hours ago, Video said:

I have a wonderswan, not color (hence "crystal) not sure if it's like neo geo pocket where the standard systems take the same carts, just monochrome on the regular system and color on the color system.

There's a few games that are cross-compatible, but not all. There's also 3 models of the system: the original, the color (with an upgraded processor & color screen), and the crystal (with a TFT LCD screen that largely removed ghosting & contrast issues.)

Playing Wonderswan with no Japanese reading comprehension does get tricky- the system's claim to fame before the GBA crushed all competition was from a Squaresoft deal that got the system some great titles... that aren't super playable without reading. There's definitely good things to be had, though!

Firelancer is a vertical shmup, I liked it more than Judgement silversword... it 's recent homebrew.   One thing to keep in mind about the wonderswan flash cart not all game work and not all work conistenstantly acrost all models.   You'll want to check the compatibility list and read the instructions before using the software as it can bork things if you should the wrong option.    Rainbow Island which which is fun vertical game work on my regular wonderswan using the flash card but crashed when using it in the SwanCrystal. 
There is a mehaman game that is pretty good and most of final fantasy games have atleast partial translations.
You can mod you system with backlight kit, the whole screen swap is way to expensive and kills the battery life.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:37 AM, ColecoKing said:

No Wonderswan users here?

I had a couple Wonderdwan Color while they were current, but spent nearly all of my time playing FF, FFII and FFIV. OP isn't interested in games with text to read.

Makaimura is nice, but I wish it controlled a bit different. I don't remember what exactly stood out. Maybe you can't move mid jump or something?

• 4 months later...

A lot of games are playable without understanding japanese.

I made a good selection here, in the middle of the page, clic on each cover to open an article https://paderetro.com/2014/12/27/le-guide-du-newbie-de-la-wonderswan/ (in french, but it google translate quite well).

If you're not very "trial and error", remove Blue Wing Blitz, Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, Namco Super Wars, the two One Piece Treasure Wars, Super Robot Taisen Compact 3, the two Trump Collection and Uchuu Senkan Yamato. 48 games left. ^^