IGNORED

TI 99/4A to HDMI - How did you do it?

oddemann

I am looking for different solutions to connect my TI to the TV. PAL and NTSC solutions. Also if you have a solution, give us your review of your solution/s.
I tried the "Italian solution" (Soldering two new cables out of the box) with RCA plug and it did not really change the picture. I see that there is some RCA options. But I want to make the TI more easy to connect to HDMI.

Then I can take with me, my TI and show it off to other people. The TI, power, joystick and a HDMI cable and I am ready for the Parsec party/Alpiner party.

So if you have a solution show it? Pic?

Also... I see that the Grand Wizards are making PCB cards of different types... What about making a converter to put into the TI? like a new plug that is HDMI out with a switch that is put beside the native audio/videos out. Or maybe there is a solution that I have not seen yet?

Picture_of_Texas_Instruments_Ti-99_4A_Co

Edited by oddemann

I'm using the OSSC Scaler with a component cable and it's working great. It's working also with the mini PHA2037 clone from TI99IUC using the SCART cable.

No lag and the image is sharp. I've not checked all the OSSC settings to improve the image quality, just added some scanlines for having a retrò feeling.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

I'm using the OSSC Scaler with a component cable and it's working great. It's working also with the mini PHA2037 clone from TI99IUC using the SCART cable.

No lag and the image is sharp. I've not checked all the OSSC settings to improve the image quality, just added some scanlines for having a retrò feeling.

https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc.html

Hmmm, interesting ;) Thx! Do you have a pic of the setup?

Edited by oddemann

1 hour ago, oddemann said:

https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc.html

Hmmm, interesting ;) Thx! Do you have a pic of the setup?

Here are some photos. Basically it works oob with the 2x mode on the origina signal. I've tried also the 3x. My monitor has a FullHD resolution and does not support 4x and 5x modes that should further improve the quality. Recent TV/Monitor should offer a better support for 4x and 5x scaling.

OSSC1.jpg

OSSC2.jpg

OSSC3.jpg

OSSC4.jpg

OSSC5.jpg

OSSC6.jpg

• Like 1

I have built one of the citrus3000psi boards (no idea if they are still available). My console now outputs RGB through the video connector. I use a cheap Scart RGB -> HDMI converter from Amazon to display on a computer monitor. Initial image was too red to my taste so I  experimented with a resistor in the Red line inside the Scart connector and settled on 68R. Much, much better result that the composite -> HDMI converter I used before.

17 hours ago, oddemann said:

Picture looks great! So I guess that your using the backside and RCA in? 3 plugs?

I am impressed with how nice it looks in the TV.

Yes, it's using the 3 components RCA plugs + the audio cable (2 RCA into a 3.5mm jack on the OSSC). Of course my TI99 it's a PAL machine. It's also working with the mini PHA2037 clone with SCART cable. 

In the photos there are no scanlines applied if I remember well. 

OSSC has a lot of parameters to tune, so it could also fix some minor artifacts, but I've not tested them, since it requires a lot of time. Fortunately you can save your profiles for different settings/machines.