IGNORED

Can't break on _bank > 15

Karl G

I'm using Stella 6.2.1 on Mac, and I've been having trouble getting certain breakpoints to trigger for a while, but hadn't taken the time to try to narrow it down until now. This is with my 128K WIP game, which uses DFSC bankswitching. I think, although I'm not positive, that the times my breakpoints won't trigger are when they reside in bank numbers > 15.  For example, this doesn't work in a case where I know the game hits the code in question:

> breakif {_bank==$10 && pc==LoadDungeon}

Trying it this way also doesn't work:

> breakif {_bank==16 && pc==LoadDungeon}

Finally, I tried this just to break if the bank is accessed at all:

> breakif _bank==$10

And for completeness:

> breakif _bank==16

None of these trigger in a case where I know for 100% certainty that the code in this bank is being run.

Any possible ideas as to what could be the issue? The source isn't public, but I can make it available privately if needed.

It's hard to say without trying it myself.  I will say that the bases could be an issue.  So the default base is hex, and when you say 16, that's $16.  If you want decimal 16, you need to use '#16'.

Honestly, it might be better if you could provide a sample ROM privately.  So let's follow this up in PM if want to go that route.

Okay, instead of asking you to wade through my byzantine code, I made a simplified example with a minimal DFSC template.

If right difficulty = B, then the routine LowBankColor is run from bank 1 every frame, which sets the background color to green.

If right difficulty = A, then the routine HighBankColor is tin from bank 1F every frame, which sets the background color to red.

I am able to cause Stella to break when LowBankColor is run from bank 1, but not when HighBankColor is run from bank 1F.

dfsc-example.zip