IGNORED

Has anyone ever thought of creating a port of Food Fight for the 5200???

BIGHMW

I think it would be a great game for Big Sexy, I don't get why R&D at Atari Inc./Atari Corp. never thought about doing one for her when the arcade version came out, they both take advantage of full 360-degree movement and the stock analog controller would be absolutely perfect for it.

NOTE: There already is a port for the 8-bit computers and as soon and I found the ROM for it maybe @playsoft @Ryan Witmer or @Wrathchild can convert it so we can enjoy it too, @playsoft already did Yar's Strike, he did the new-smash Star Island that I most recently reviewed so why not Food Fight???

Food Fight.zip

Food-Fight_Atari-8-bit_EN.zip

Edited by BIGHMW
To add additional available ROM

• 2 weeks later...

No, I think it's the seven year itch for me. Since 2013 I have written 6 games from scratch and must have ported over 20 titles from the A8 to the 5200. I want to do something different now. I got my original 400 back in 1983 and although I "upgraded" to a ST in 1986 I still tinkered with the A8 until 1990 (that's the last record I have of doing anything). So that was 7 years back then and 7 years again now, a nice symmetry. There was a 23 year sabbatical between those so maybe I'll get interested again in 2043... 

• Like 3

That's cool. I also have the XE/A8 version downloaded and will soon have both an XEGS and also The Brewing Academy XE/A8 multicart so I can enjoy the almost 1000 titles available for the 8-bit computers as I also intend to launch The 8-bit Edition of The Atari Report to go along with the 7800 edition in which will also debut in January.

Thanks Paul for all the great work for all of these years, and happy travels in whatever endeavor you go into next..... and since you're from the UK (I hope you're a football guy, mainly Arsenal), COYG!!!

11 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Where did you get that idea? There's at least 5 times that number available.

I noticed that going through almost all those files on my Homesoft Collection, Jesus Christ, there were about 250 titles under the letter "A" alone!!! It looks like I'm gonna have some fun go though all those files when i get either the XEGS or the 65XE computer, but, which one should I get??? I found out the XEGS is simply a repackaged 65XE with a separate keyboard and that the 65XE has it all in one self-contained unit, in which I can run my The Brewing Academy Ultimate Atari SD cart with it as I have to use the keyboard to navigate through all of them, and that alone would lead me to a 65XE as opposed to an XEGS. Which one???

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

I noticed that going through almost all those files on my Homesoft Collection, Jesus Christ, there were about 250 titles under the letter "A" alone!!! It looks like I'm gonna have some fun go though all those files when i get either the XEGS or the 65XE computer, but, which one should I get??? I found out the XEGS is simply a repackaged 65XE with a separate keyboard and that the 65XE has it all in one self-contained unit, in which I can run my The Brewing Academy Ultimate Atari SD cart with it as I have to use the keyboard to navigate through all of them, and that alone would lead me to a 65XE as opposed to an XEGS. Which one???

I just downloaded the Homesoft archive and it looks like it has 4,126 games -- although I'm not sure how many might be slight variations (with different titles, etc.). 

Fandal's site has 4,683 games. Atarimania lists 9,494 games -- although I'm pretty sure they're counting releases, which would include duplicate titles released from different publishers, in different countries, etc.

So, I'd put Fandal at a pretty close number; but I'd guess there to be a fair number more, as he's adding all the time. That's why I'd say there's at least 5 times what you said (1,000).

"XEGS or 65XE?"... Depends on what you want/need. They're generally similar; but the finer differences might or might not matter for you (keyboard, cost, etc.). I made a general comparison chart for the main NTSC 8-bit models (posted in this thread: Atari 8-bit Computer Comparison). You might get some useful ideas from it.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Already made up my mind, a deadstock NIB 65XE and an a/v cord from Best Electronics and also The Brewing Academy Ultimate Atari SD Cartridge it will be!!! I don't have too much space in my apartment, so that will go next to my VCR and will be hooked up to the a/v inputs on her and run to my 40" Insignia monitor (and soon to a composite-to-HDMI interface instead later on!!!)!!!

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/130xe.htm

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power guide.htm#Composite

On 10/10/2020 at 10:40 PM, BIGHMW said:

Already made up my mind, a deadstock NIB 65XE and an a/v cord from Best Electronics and also The Brewing Academy Ultimate Atari SD Cartridge it will be!!! I don't have too much space in my apartment, so that will go next to my VCR and will be hooked up to the a/v inputs on her and run to my 40" Insignia monitor (and soon to a composite-to-HDMI interface instead later on!!!)!!!

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/130xe.htm

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power guide.htm#Composite

Those are boxed systems NOT new in the box. Don't get confused as to what you would be buying as that would suck expecting brand new and getting used.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 7:33 PM, BIGHMW said:

@Wrathchild, are you perhaps up to it

Had a quick peek, the ROM is 32K in size, 4 banks of 8K in and XEGS model, so good the 5200.

The A8 version is thankfully simple and helps in this regard as bootstrap copies bank 1 to $4000, bank 2 to $6000 and bank 3 to $8000 (daft as you can't write to the ROM) and bank 4 is always at $A000.

However, when the game runs it is making writes to the $4000->$4FFF address area which would be ROM on the 5200.

Therefore all of that needs to be identified and lower RAM checked for non used areas that these can be relocated to.

So not one of the more simpler ports but I might come back to it later if no-one picks it up.

Edited by Wrathchild

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

daft as you can't write to the ROM

Got that wrong, it just selects that bank @ $8000

But the game is also using memory under the OS and so as the instructions imply (neglecting a stock 600XL) the game is for XL and XE machines, so need the 64K I'm afraid as it double buffers the display.

In Altirra's debugger console you can set this by setting a trace watch: bta w $4013 "$%02X" dw($4012)

So not viable I'm afraid

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, jefffulton said:

The 8bit version wasn't done by GCC like the arcade and 7800 versions. It is not done as well as it could be. The 5200 controller though would be great for the game because the original had a 360 degree throwing ability. 

True it DOES have 360 throwing and movement ability, it would be perfect for the analog stick.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like Desert Falcon, the XEGS version of Food Fight wasn't that good compared to the 7800 version that GCC coded themselves. It would have to be improved.  As for 64K, I don't recall the box stating it couldn't be played on the 600XL but I could be wrong.

Analog would be nice but I don't know if it would be suitable for the Trak-Ball. It actually would be cool to do dual-stick action on it although I realize the arcade original was a single digital stick. 

I still say XEGS Crossbow ported over to the 5200 but using the Trak-Ball would rock [the 5200 is missing the hardware for light gun support].

And another game that really needs to be on A8/5200 is Crazy Climber. Port the Apple II version over and then spruce it up into being better than the C64 or NES/Famicom versions. I have no doubt that's doable.

• Like 1