IGNORED

The Intellivision Virtual Expo 2020 - MAIN EVENT Nov 21 2020

Rev

1 hour ago, pedgarcia said:

I have zero recollection of that. Do you know if in that case they were imported or manufactured there?

Digiplay/Digimed software was surely made in Brazil. One of the statements on the boxes was: "Produzido na Zona Franca de Manaus AM - industria Brasileira"

I don't own a Brazilian console to check if it was imported or made in Brazil

3 hours ago, intellivotion said:

Digiplay/Digimed software was surely made in Brazil. One of the statements on the boxes was: "Produzido na Zona Franca de Manaus AM - industria Brasileira"

I don't own a Brazilian console to check if it was imported or made in Brazil

The statement means it was “produced” in the industrial free trade zone located in Manaus, the capital of the Amazon state in Brazil. 
It was most likely assembled with imported components and localized as needed.

8 hours ago, cmadruga said:

The statement means it was “produced” in the industrial free trade zone located in Manaus, the capital of the Amazon state in Brazil. 
It was most likely assembled with imported components and localized as needed.

hmmm, I have never checked the board inside a Digiplay or Digimed game but all other components (boxes, overlays, manuals, cartridges) don't look like those of the versions sold in North America and in Europe: for example, the cardboard of the box is completely different and of a lower quality. And the overlays are different to the touch as well.

"Produzido" in Brazilian Portuguese sounds much like "prodotto" in Italian, which means substantially "made". It could be a false friend tho'. Dunno

5 hours ago, intellivotion said:

hmmm, I have never checked the board inside a Digiplay or Digimed game but all other components (boxes, overlays, manuals, cartridges) don't look like those of the versions sold in North America and in Europe: for example, the cardboard of the box is completely different and of a lower quality. And the overlays are different to the touch as well.

"Produzido" in Brazilian Portuguese sounds much like "prodotto" in Italian, which means substantially "made". It could be a false friend tho'. Dunno

Well, simpler things like packaging, overlays, manuals, labels, etc most likely were produced locally.
On the other hand, I think it is less likely that key internal electronic components like the CP1610 or the STIC were manufactured locally. 
Either way, I may be wrong, and it would be interesting if anyone would eventually do a side by side comparison with the American model for instance.

One thing to keep in mind is that back then Brazil had a policy that made importing electronics very difficult, but at the same time the local industry lacked competitive know-how and capability. That situation imposed compromises.

Edited by cmadruga

12 minutes ago, Intymike said:

I assume the expo will take longer than 40 minutes and has probably more than 100 participants. That would cost a monthly fee of about 13€. 

But maybe I get something wrong.

That is if you are hosting, but if you are joining a zoom meeting as a participant then you do not need to create a zoom account

image.thumb.png.784331138a54b027bedadbb5f3fe3235.png