IGNORED

Searching for Peter Gunn BASIC music demo

El Destructo

I'm hoping someone here can help me find a BASIC music demo I had in the '80s. It played the Peter Gunn theme while displaying a column of white eighth notes separated by horizontal lines, one for each voice. As the voices changed pitch their eighth note moved left for lower notes, right for higher notes. Everything was in double-line resolution. The notes were probably sprites and the lines were probably in GR. 7.

I think the file was named PETRGUNN.BAS but I haven't found any references to it online. Does anyone remember this demo or know where I can find it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adam242 said:

The demo in question looks like this (sorry for the poor quality pic):

20200926_203006_HDR.thumb.jpg.06e51b8825970539df2c5a7643b9e494.jpg

Unfortunately, I have no way to upload it. My SIO2PC device has the old-school 9-pin RS232 interface, and my desktop only has USB ports.

That's it, thank you! Can you tell me the filename?

I was an exhibitor at the Atari Magic Show and have managed to hang on to the "invite" part of that demo. A magician taps a hat with a wand to call computer logos out of it and zap them into dust: Apple, Commodore, IBM. A butterfly comes out, then the Fuji logo. All the while, the event date fills in one corner of the screen. Then the full info scrolls up:

magicshow.png

atarimagic.png

Edited by El Destructo
  • Like 4

Yep. That demo is also on the disk, filename "MAGICSHO.OBJ"

The filename of the demo you're looking for is PETRGUNN.BAS

You might want to reach out to AtariAge user ClausB. He was a higher-up in CHAOS back in the day and may have a copy/ image of the disk.

Just curious... did you live in Michigan back then?

Ohio. I hitched a ride with the "CEO" of Alpha Systems to demo the new 130XE version of my Parrot software. When I wasn't at our table I checked out the other vendors, met Bob Puff and got an XF Dual Drive upgrade kit, played the 16-player MIDI Maze setup, and more. I only wish I'd brought a camera. What a great show!

Edited by El Destructo
  • Like 2

Hello El Destructo

16 hours ago, El Destructo said:

I hitched a ride with the "CEO" of Alpha Systems to demo the new 130XE version of my Parrot software. When I wasn't at our table I checked out the other vendors, met Bob Puff and got an XF Dual Drive upgrade kit, played the 16-player MIDI Maze setup, and more.

I guess I'm not the only person that's jealous after reading this.  "New 130XE version of Parrot"?  Can you tell us more about that?

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

7 hours ago, ClausB said:

Do you remember where it was held?

I don't think I went.

Detroit, Michigan.

Searching my archives for references to "Atari MAGIC Show" and found an issue of ZMagazine, the online newsletter, containing two first-hand reports. Enjoy! It's a wonderful time capsule.

//////////////////////////////////////
ZMAGAZINE 69  ////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////
September 4, 1987 (c)1987 Ron Kovacs
Zmag BBS: (201) 968-8148   300/1200
This is a special edition highlighting the ATARI MAGIC SHOW in Detroit, Aug 28-30, 1987.  Zmag Correspondent Steve Godun and UG Focus writer Mike Brown sent in the following articles. Also, Steve won the MIDI contest at the show. Details ahead.

This text is (C)1987 Syndicate Services.  Free distribution is allowed privided this notice appears and the text remains unchanged.

By Steve Godun (Zmag Correspondent)

The Atari MAGIC (Michigan Atari General Information Conference) show attracted young and old alike.  Some 50-60 software publishers, hardware developers, magazine publishers, and mail order houses attended the show. Important names in the Atari community were present, among them Keith Ledbetter of Express fame, and Neil Harris and Sandi Austin of Atari.

Important Atari supporters like ICD, Atari (of course), Hybrid Arts, Antic, MichTron, Astra, Abacus, and Innovative Concepts were all showing new hardware/software products for the Atari 8-bit and 16-bit computers.

My first stop in the gymnasium-sized Atari show was at Hybrid Arts' MIDI setup.  At the heart of Hybrid Arts' display was the impressive 16-player MIDI-Maze game.  Surprises were abound all throughout the show, but I was more than startled to see no less than 16 of the ill-fated PS3000 color monitor/disk drive units being linked to 520ST's for MIDI-Maze.

Almost all the time during the show, is was a free-for-all as people scrambled for one of the 16 positions. Hybrid Arts ran hourly tournaments that all could get in on. Winners for each tournament were given a pass to return to the show on Sunday to compete for the grand prize - a Casio CZ-320C keyboard and a stack of Hybrid Arts software.  I happen to have won that prize (a little pat on the pack please...).

Hybrid Arts also had two other stations set up, each running with a 1040ST and several keyboards. The show is always alive with very well created melodies.  No Walkman units wanted here!

Next to Hybrid Arts was a large indoor tent that housed Atari Corp's products.  Several 520ST-FM, 1040ST, and 130XE computers were running the most popular Atari softwarem such as "Battlezone", "Rogue", and "Joust" on the ST's with "Planetarium" and "AtariWriter Plus" on the XE's.  The XE Game System was also displayed running "Bug Hunt", the first game to use Atari's TV gun.  Other Atari products were present, most notably the Atari PC (very nice unit, although very slow when compared to the ST speeds), the Atari Laser Printer (producing free samples of high resolution flyers), the Mega ST-4 (many of the other developers were also using pre-production models with no Blitter chip for demos, although Atari's model did indeed have Blitter installed), and the still-to-be -released SX-212 modem.

All models except for the Atari PC are clothed in Atari XE grey with slanted lights and an almost art-deco insignia (the word "Laser" on the laser printer is in a 'hot pink' color).  The Atari PC is set up in bone white.  A monochrome monitor was being used on the PC.  No comment from the guys from Atari.  Also, there was still no sight of the 8-bit 80 column card or the new XF551 disk drive.  Atari claims problems adapting the SX-212 to the 8-bit, although on the ST it runs fine.  The XF551 is "still very early in its development to be shown".  No comment pertaining to the XEP-80. Hmmm...

Atari is still "iffy" on release dates for these products.  The laser printer, Mega ST-4, and the XE Game System are scheduled for mid to late September ("Definately way before Christmas" says Neil Harris), and the Atari PC and SX-212 are to be released shortly thereafter.

Innovative Concepts, a relatively small company with some really neat 8-bit upgrades, showed several new products.  A kit that allows you to install four function keys (like the extinct 1200XL) on any XL/XE computer was available for $15.  The keys are totally programmable (nice for making macros in modem programs), and default to cursor control, key click on/off, etc.  The ICX-85 keypad (a modified Atari CX-85 keypad that needs no handlers yet works with all 8-bit software) was available.  A trade-in policy is in effect; Send them your CX-85 keypad and you'll save $10 on the ICX-85.  RAM-Aid is for owners of upgraded XL/XE Ataris. Install this, and you now have the capability to perform a coldstart without turning your computer off, but still retain all data in your RamDisks.  An external modem speaker, Modem-Mouth, is for modems who don't have one (like the Atari 835 and 1030).  Contact Innovative Concepts for prices, information, and ordering.

Microdaft of "Chipmunk" fame was there showing two new arcade games. "Dropzone" is a Defender-like game that offers high resolution graphics and excellent animation.  "Solar Star" is a hybrid game that reminds me somewhat of the Tron "Light Cycles". You travel over a huge grid avoiding walls while trying to shoot and overcome energy areas and crystals. Both games are for the 8-bit Atari (hints of a C-64 version were dropped) and are scheduled for release on October 1st.

A most interesting product was shown by Quantum Microsystems.  They were showing a pad that looked very much like a large (17.5"x11") white Koala pad, but it had a thinner, wired stylus and was connected to an ST. Moving the stylus across the pad simulates the movement of a mouse. Labeled as "ProTablet ST", Quantum claims their pad is much more accurate than the Atari mouse, allowing up to 250 lines per inch. "ProTablet ST" is available now for $395, and includes the tablet, digitizing pen, cable, and driving accessory.

ICD, along with the Keith "Mr.Express" Ledbetter, was showing their newest addition to the Express line of modem software, "BBS Express ST". Only for the ST, "BBS Express ST" is probably the best ST BBS program around today. "BBS Express ST" is just starting to ship for a list price of $79.95.  It features 40/80 column support, XMODEM and YMODEM protocols, threaded message bases, full descriptions on all UL/DL files, and COMPLETE sysop maintenance. Some lucky show purchasers got a personally autographed copy of the new program (at no extra cost).

Also being shown at the ICD booth was a 60-megabyte hard disk for the ST. It is actually two 30-meg hard disks in one sleek, attractive case, but offers more than a conventional hard disk.  Besides the storage, the ICD model also contains a silent fan and a real-time clock/calander.  The unit is large and strong enough to support an ST monitor.  The model shown was not a complete model.  No list price or release date was given.

When asked about SpartaDOS-X, the new cartridge-oriented DOS for Atari, ICD claims to be working on it but are having a few difficulties in programming.  This new DOS will be on a 256K ROM cartridge and will have a souped-up version of SpartaDOS 3.2 on it, along with a database and "whatever else we can think of".  ICD is considering much input from the current Atari community, so if you have a suggestion for Sparta-X, send them your ideas!

When asked about problems with the MIO board, ICD claimed to have fixed all known bugs prior to June 1987 and is still shipping both the 256K and 1-meg models.  The 80-column adapter is "loosing interest...because of a lack of a suitable market", so even that might not hit the streets in the near future.  But, you never know.

The MichTron display occupied most of the far wall.  Their feature product was the arcade-to-home laser game "Dragon's Lair" (marketed as "Journey Into The Lair" for copy-right reasons).  The version they had running was played on a 1-meg 520ST-FM, color monitor (for player input), Panasonic video disc player, and a Panasonic TV (for showing the pictures).  The game is great in itself, although it loses just about all of its original arcade action. No longer is "Dragon's Lair" a split second arcade adventure; the player can now spend (literally) hours deciding on where to go.  Joystick input has been substituted for a slow point-and-click mouse command.  You actually have to tell the computer what to do; no more simple up/down/etc moves to memorize, you now have to say, for example, "Turn Swing Sword" to vanquish a creature in one instance.  Personally, I don't think this will sell very well.

Plans to incorporate the other two major laser arcade games, "Space Ace" and "Cliff Hanger", are in the works. No release date was set, although pre- orders were being taken at the show.

Other MichTron releases include "Maz", a sort of computerized cat and mouse game were you must find the exit to a huge maze before your opponent does while avoiding the always moving cat. "Airball" is a offshoot of "Marble Madness", but with a more 'natural' background to it.  Instead of a scrolling abstract maze, you now have a screen-by-screen maze lined with trees (well, that's what they look like) and such. MichTron was also offering RAM upgrades for the ST.  A 2-meg 520ST kit and a 2.5-meg 1040ST kit are available, and both require no soldering inside the ST.  Contact MichTron for details.

Alpha Systems had the "Turbocharger" on display.  This is a double sided 8-bit disk that is packed full of useful ML subroutines that you can incorporate into your BASIC programs. Also for the 8-bit, the "Parrot II+" was there.  Those familliar with the original "Parrot" know that the hardware part isn't very sturdy or sensitive.  The new version is VERY strong and VERY sensitive, and makes a clearer digitized sound - almost as good as an ST!

Speaking of ST sound, Alpha Systems also produced "Digisound", the ST equal to the "Parrot II+".  The unit on display was quite impressive. Sound is practically flawless when compared to the original source. Excellent!

"Magic Sac+" wasn't as popular as Data Pacific had hoped.  It certainly wasn't one of the busier booths at the show.  On a 4-meg ST, the user can have up to a 3900K Macintosh capable of running most popular Mac software. However, in order to use the software, the user must have several things. Among them are a set of Mac ROM chips (so that the thing will work in the first place), access to a Macintosh computer, and communications software for both computers.  Null modem cables are provided with the Sac+, a helpful surprize.  The "Magic Sac+" also has its own clock/calendar for time/date stamping.  Details were limited to an 8.5"x11" flyer, and reps at the show were somewhat unwilling to speak about certain compatability problems. Contact Data Pacific for more details.

The show attracted many mail order houses.  Mars Merchandising was there in full force with great deals on 8-bit and ST products stacked from floor to ceiling (literally).  Sector One Computers, with not nearly as much stuff as Mars, was doing well in their double booth.  Basic Bits And Bytes was a bonanza of Atari printers, 50%-off software, and more than I can list.  They were the only place at the show selling the Indus ST DS/DD disk drive, a unit about 1/2 the size of an ST drive and runs (of course) much quieter and a bit faster.  Rite Way Computers was offering membership into a software preview club along with many other nice deals.

Since this IS an Atari-oriented show, user groups were abound.  GAG (Genesee Atari Group) was there showing off their newest Print Shop application, "Cute Labels" by Jim Steele. This will print out 1"x3.5" labels using multiple fonts and Print Shop icons. This is a VERY flexible label program! GAG is offering "Cute Labels" alone for $9.95, and a pack of 6 Print Shop icon disks (around 600-700 icons) for $20.  A complete "Cute Labels" package ("Cute Labels" plus the 6 icon disks) is available for a mere $27. Incredible bargain!

MACE, Michigan Atari Computer Enthusiasts, was there selling back issues of "MACE Journal", trying to gain new members, and showing a few demos.  Other user groups, WAUG (Washtenaw Atari Users Group), GLASS (Great Lakes Atari ST Support), CHAOS (Capitol Hill Atari Owners Society), and of course, MAGIC were all present and showing off some of the latest ST and 8-bit programs, demos, and hardware (like the Mega ST-4).

Overall, the show was a grand success for user and vendor alike. Everybody went home happy and almost nobody left empty-handed.  I was a bit sad when I walked into the large once-filled ballroom and saw nothing but soda bottles, product flyers, and empty bags.  Oh well...There will be other shows.  But the Atari MAGIC Show has proven, once again, that Atari computers are here to stay, this time for good.

Until next time...
            by M. G. Brown

This past week, I had the good fortune of attending the MAGIC Atari Show in Detroit, Michigan. For those of you who were there, I do not have to tell you that it was a well thought out effort by three Atari user groups in the eastern Michigan area;

• Michigan Atari General Information Conference (MAGIC)
  • Genesee Atari Group (GAG)
  • Great Lakes Atari ST Support (GLASS)

This is not to imply that these were the only user groups involved, there were most of the major groups from Michigan playing an ACTIVE part in the show, and several groups from Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois were out in force! I did not realize the extent of the participation of the user group community until the "User Group Roundtable" on Saturday. One of the best things about it was the fact that the "featured" speaker, Sandi Austin of Atari, was late!  It gave the attendees time to unwind and get to know each other a bit. However, when Sandi arrived, the jovial atmosphere seemed to vanish and almost a tense atmosphere prevailed.

By the nature of the questions and comments fired at Ms. Austin, it was apparent that Atari enjoys a less than favorable impression among those attending the Roundtable. The feeling is that Atari could and should be doing more to support the user groups and the user community in general. As saddened as I was by the attitude in the room, I must agree that the tide is slowly turning; Atari's best spokesmen, the user groups and the upper 25% of the Atari users, are turning cynical. Hardly anything that was said by an Atari representative during the seminars (I attended most of them) was not met by an attitude that they were joking (In one seminar, a Neil Harris statement was followed up in a loud voice by "Good one Neil!").

It is sad to see such a hopeless attitude by the user community here in the midwest. If I was Ms. Austin or Mr. Harris I would seek ways to improve User and User group relations and certainly NOT make statements such as were quoted in a recent issue of "Computer Shopper" magazine attributed to Mr. Harris during speeches to user groups during CES week in Chicago. I will not dignify Mr. Harris' words by repeating them here, but if it was me and my work that he was referring to, I would be considering legal action!

The bottom line is this: Atari must come out of its fog and realize that, with proper "stokes" the established Atari user base will sell a lot of computers and game systems. The Atari Fairs across the country are a brilliant move to put on a good face, don't go blowing it with ill advised words or poor attitudes...enough said!

As I stated eariler, one of the unexpected benefits of attending the Atari fair in Detroit was being able to rub elbows with members of other user groups and picking up material for this column... I bought a couple of copies of Michigan Atari user group newsletters while I was up there, and got somewhat of an education on the state of things: 

Atari in the great lake state.

In the coming weeks I will give my views on all of the publications that I picked up, but for this time I want to let you in on a rather unique newsletter.

One of the big problems that small Atari user groups face, is the cost of publishing and distributing their newsletters. Several Michigan Atari Groups put their heads together and came up with a creative solution: They merged all of their small newsletters into a LARGE newsletter called the "Michigan Atari Magazine". The clubs participating in this joint venture are CHAOS (Lansing), GAG (Flint), TAG (Saginaw, Bay City, Midland), BKAUG (Battle Creek), WAUG (Ann Arbor), GKAUG (Kalamazoo) and GRASS (Grand Rapids).

Although this publication is not quite in the leauge with "Current Notes", it certainly is a well put together newsletter with a heavy emphasis on activities within the individual clubs. It must be great for Michiganians to keep tabs on their sister groups in "their" newsletter! I'm sure that the promotion of special events (such as the Atari Fest) is much easier to the expanded audience reached by the Michigan Atari Magazine.

The only bad note that I can think of in a publication filled with creativity and much original material, is the somewhat uncertain typeset quality. Quite a few of the article headings seemed skewed at odd angles to the text below them (indicating the cut-and-paste school of typesetting). I guess because of the otherwise excellent quality of printing (multi-color stock and ink!) and graphics, this was emphasised out of proportion. Editors Rich and Judy Barnes deserve a pat on the back for their efforts.

For more information on subscriptions to the Michigan Atari Magazine, please contact them at P.O. Box 16132, Lansing, Michigan 48901.

I am still in need of user group newsletters and information for this feature! Please send material to M. Brown, 268 E. Fourth St., Box 32, Ashland, OH 44805, or upload to the Balloon Works- 419 289 8392. Thanks!

Hybrid Arts

11920 Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064

(213)826-3777

Atari Corp.

1196 Borregas Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

(408)745-2012

Innovative Concepts

31172 Shawn Drive
Warren, MI 48093

(313)293-0730

Microdaft

19 Harbor Drive
Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849

(201)663-0202

Quantum Microsystems

PO Box 179
Liverpool, NY 13088

(315)451-7747

MichTron

576 S. Telegraph
Pontiac, MI 48053    

(313)334-5700

Alpha Systems

1012 Skyland Drive
Macedonia, OH 44056  

(216)467-5665

Data Pacific

609 East Speer Blvd.
Denver, CO 80203      

(303)733-8158

Mars Merchandising

15 West 615
Diversey Elmhurst, IL 60126
(312)530-0988

Basic Bits And Bytes

34815 Ford Road
Westland, MI 48185  

(313)595-3171

ICD, Inc.

1220 Rock Street
Rockford, IL 61101-1437

(815)968-2228
Zmagazine #69  September 4, 1987
Happy Labor Day!!
Vacation begins for Parents!!
(c)1987 Ron Kovacs/Syndicate Services

Edited by El Destructo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think this Peter Gunn demo and the disk is somewhere on the Pooldisk, e.g. here:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/PoolDisk%20Too/

Problem is there are several thousand ATR images on it. Found the disk once and copied the Atari Magic Show demo from it and added it to my demo collection, but not the Peter Gunn demo...

Attached is the Atari Magic Show demo on a 180k disk image in packed form (think I used DJ Packer)... use Option "I" to load it...

DEMOS02.zip

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

Hello El Destructo

I guess I'm not the only person that's jealous after reading this.  "New 130XE version of Parrot"?  Can you tell us more about that?

Sincerely

Mathy

Aren't Parrot sounddemos using the .DIG extender? If so, there is at least an XL player and an XE player available for Parrot samples. The XE player was done by Pedrokko in Atari Basic. Some AA member named Mathy once copied these Pedrokko disks into ATR images, but when copying the 10 disks or disksides he forgot to turn them over to the B-Sides (and copied the A-sides twice). Since then, whenever I copy a real disk into an ATR image I do the "Mathy-check", i.e. I check if I really really turned the disk over to side B, after I copied side A...   ;-)

DIG.zip

4 hours ago, Mathy said:

"New 130XE version of Parrot"?  Can you tell us more about that?

Parrot XE's primary advancement was the ability to access the 130XE's extended RAM banks for recording and saving longer sound samples; IIRC it could store up to 28 seconds of audio when recording at the standard rate. During the Magic Show I demoed a long-form "How can it still be playing?" sample of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson and maybe another of Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top. Regardless, I remember more than one attendee reacting with "Can you record a whole song off the radio? No? What good is it then?" ? Frustrating at the time, but most people weren't tuned into the possibilities of digitally manipulating real audio back then.

Another reason for needing the additional memory was to store sounds sampled at a faster rate for better audio fidelity. This was made possible by a new piece of hardware that Alpha Systems created: An external converter circuit in a box that could continuously convert analog audio to digital data. With this new hardware, sample rate was now limited only by the speed of my code! Sampling at full throttle generated very high quality sound, but it consumed the available 128K in only a few seconds. I have a few of these sound files and they still sound quite good today.

Plans were to bundle these updates with the new musical playback feature seen in the Parrot II demo. But as development proceeded through 1987 the computing world moved on to 16-bit computers, Atari users mostly abandoned the 8-bit, and we abandoned Parrot II. I was able to preserve all the disks and files but not the hardware: Years later during a move I unearthed the prototype circuit but it no longer worked. ?

Edited by El Destructo
  • Like 1

Hello El Destructo

Would the 130XE version support more than 128kB if available?

If you find anything Parrot related, please publish it somewhere.  We love that stuff.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS are you Anthony R.?

Edited by Mathy

Sounds like the show was mostly about the ST. Around that time I was getting out of the ST hobby, which I never got as deep into as I had the 8-bits anyway. I sold my ST while it still had resale value, to help fund my newer hobby, aviation. My log book shows that, during the 3 days of the MAGIC Show, I made 4 flights in rented aircraft. The next weekend, I bought a plane.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Think this Peter Gunn demo and the disk is somewhere on the Pooldisk, e.g. here:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/PoolDisk Too/

Problem is there are several thousand ATR images on it. Found the disk once and copied the Atari Magic Show demo from it and added it to my demo collection, but not the Peter Gunn demo...

Attached is the Atari Magic Show demo on a 180k disk image in packed form (think I used DJ Packer)... use Option "I" to load it...

DEMOS02.zip 152.86 kB · 8 downloads

I looked for it at pooldisk with no luck.

Any BBS/ATRS repo where I could search for it?

Edited by devwebcl
typos

7 hours ago, El Destructo said:

Detroit, Michigan.

Searching my archives for references to "Atari MAGIC Show" and found an issue of ZMagazine, the online newsletter, containing two first-hand reports. Enjoy! It's a wonderful time capsule.

It wasn't Detroit proper... I want to say either Sterling Heights or Troy... one of the northern suburbs. Surprised that the first hand report didn't specify exactly which hotel/ community space.

Found it! Took quite a bit of sleuthing, however:

Following CharlieChaplin's lead, I started with the POOLDISK, which I bought as a real CD-ROM back in '95. I copied it to my computer's solid-state drive. I did a multi-file search for "PETER GUNN" on all file types over the entire disk, thinking the program name or author's name would appear as plain text in any disk description files or even the ATR images themselves. This came up empty.

Since the search was quite quick despite there being thousands of files, I decided to go a step further and run a multi-file search on my entire ATR library: This time, I got results. Most hits were the Dr. Download BBS demo, but look at the last one highlighted in blue:

215094002_BBEditseach.thumb.png.3d95ebfce8b279bab8168443fd407995.png

"J2" is one of the disks where I stored BASIC games and demos back in the day, and the first place I looked for this file before asking the A8 forum. Popped the ATR into Atari800MacX again and checked the file list: No PETRGUNN.BAS, same as before. The data was clearly on the disk, so maybe I deleted it at some point? Disk is in SpartaDOS format, so UNERASE to the rescue:

unerase.thumb.png.6c1eafd5ef99024e46d41ce76551f2e9.png

Still no PETRGUNN.BAS. Opening the ATR file in a hex editor showed the program apparently intact, however:

186436696_hexfiend.thumb.png.93b568082437a38a0da34ce7c5e43a04.png

I then remembered having a SpartaDOS sector editor, which I located and ran:

DISKRX.thumb.png.c1eb740558e549454d5c3fb19af19c3a.png

Tokenized BASIC program files start with two zeros closely followed by the variable list:

1219687972_diskrx1stsector.thumb.png.47765048f2bd8416fe6b5112f9149f02.png

Looks like the program header is intact! Scanning down, I found the final sector containing the program name:

487917203_diskrxlastsector.thumb.png.7c6924816b2360de1a53737bff505af8.png

Tagged all the sectors in this range, saved them as a file on another disk, and voila!

PETRGUNN.thumb.png.5bd146af52d39fd7175dd486afa1a1cc.png

Found and rescued several other lost files as well:

1156930322_recoveredfiles.thumb.png.f0f7baa0307597af58dce726321c5d4f.png

Turns out I had "Turbo-enhanced" the Peter Gunn demo and a few others on this disk to improve them in various ways:

PETRGUNN.TUR: Much faster initializing, self-modifies program to insert PAUSE commands in the main loop

CHARLIE.BAS: Added a blowing wind sound effect to gameplay

SOUNDLAB.BAS: A joystick-based POKEY filter editor to which I added 8-voice support for Gumby-modded computers.

PACMAN.TUR is of particular interest; it's a Pac-Man clone I wrote in BASIC when I was 15. In this version, player 2 controls the red ghost until Pac-Man dies, then the roles reverse. Run "PACINTRO.BAS" for instructions. All of this used to load from tape on which I recorded background music and spoken instructions that played while the program loaded. I also wrote Pac-Man II which enabled you to create your own mazes. If I track that down I'll post it here as well.

I'd still like to find the complete Atari Magic Show demo disk, though. Doesn't look like I ever had a copy.

PETRGUNN.ATR

Edited by El Destructo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, El Destructo said:

Found it! Took quite a bit of sleuthing, however:

Following CharlieChaplin's lead, I started with the POOLDISK, which I bought as a real CD-ROM back in '95. I copied it to my computer's solid-state drive. I did a multi-file search for "PETER GUNN" on all file types over the entire disk, thinking the program name or author's name would appear as plain text in any disk description files or even the ATR images themselves. This came up empty.

Since the search was quite quick despite there being thousands of files, I decided to go a step further and run a multi-file search on my entire ATR library: This time, I got results. Most hits were the Dr. Download BBS demo, but look at the last one highlighted in blue:

215094002_BBEditseach.thumb.png.3d95ebfce8b279bab8168443fd407995.png

"J2" is one of the disks where I stored BASIC games and demos back in the day, and the first place I looked for this file before asking the A8 forum. Popped the ATR into Atari800MacX again and checked the file list: No PETRGUNN.BAS, same as before. The data was clearly on the disk, so maybe I deleted it at some point? Disk is in SpartaDOS format, so UNERASE to the rescue:

unerase.thumb.png.6c1eafd5ef99024e46d41ce76551f2e9.png

Still no PETRGUNN.BAS. Opening the ATR file in a hex editor showed the program apparently intact, however:

186436696_hexfiend.thumb.png.93b568082437a38a0da34ce7c5e43a04.png

I then remembered having a SpartaDOS sector editor, which I located and ran:

DISKRX.thumb.png.c1eb740558e549454d5c3fb19af19c3a.png

Tokenized BASIC program files start with two zeros closely followed by the variable list:

1219687972_diskrx1stsector.thumb.png.47765048f2bd8416fe6b5112f9149f02.png

Looks like the program header is intact! Scanning down, I found the final sector containing the program name:

487917203_diskrxlastsector.thumb.png.7c6924816b2360de1a53737bff505af8.png

Tagged all the sectors in this range, saved them as a file on another disk, and voila!

PETRGUNN.thumb.png.5bd146af52d39fd7175dd486afa1a1cc.png

Found and rescued several other lost files as well:

1156930322_recoveredfiles.thumb.png.f0f7baa0307597af58dce726321c5d4f.png

Turns out I had "Turbo-enhanced" the Peter Gunn demo and a few others on this disk to improve them in various ways:

PETRGUNN.TUR: Much faster initializing, self-modifies program to insert PAUSE commands in the main loop

CHARLIE.BAS: Added a blowing wind sound effect to gameplay

SOUNDLAB.BAS: A joystick-based POKEY filter editor to which I added 8-voice support for Gumby-modded computers.

PACMAN.TUR is of particular interest; it's a Pac-Man clone I wrote in BASIC when I was 15. In this version, player 2 controls the red ghost until Pac-Man dies, then the roles reverse. Run "PACINTRO.BAS" for instructions. All of this used to load from tape on which I recorded background music and spoken instructions that played while the program loaded. I also wrote Pac-Man II which enabled you to create your own mazes. If I track that down I'll post it here as well.

I'd still like to find the complete Atari Magic Show demo disk, though. Doesn't look like I ever had a copy.

PETRGUNN.ATR 90.02 kB · 7 downloads

cool !

the last name was bennink !

(I read dennik, epic fail!)