IGNORED

The 8-bit guy blows up IBM 7496 prototype(?)

bluejay

No, the tomy tutor is almost a clone of the 99/4A

The expansion port is missing some important signals, and the cart port is wired differently.

Recent disassembly work of the Tutor's bios, indicates it is based on the TI source code for the 99/4A.  It uses the same CPU, VDP, and sound chip.

20 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Not that I miss crawling around/under desks and teller lines and throughout god-forsaken wiring cubby holes filled with type2 cabling and dusty MAUs hunting for the one poorly inserted connection that was causing the whole floor to beacon at a site with no connection maps, hoping my white shirt and tie survived the days' ordeal. Nope, not one bit.

My tech skills are certainly not at the same level as yours, but my very first Summer job out of High School was installing network cabling. It also involved much crawling through dusty spaces and testing connections.  I remember that it paid like 2x minimum wage, so I was happy. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Ugh.  What is it with "YouTubers" and these long ass response and rebuttal videos?

Yeah, he rambles on..no doubt. But all said I think David is a pretty good guy and I've actually enjoyed some of his videos and I am pretty certain he meant no malice. I have royally f**ked up things in the past either not thinking it through or rushing...smacked myself and was completely ashamed to the fact that I would just not let anyone know what I did. At least this guy records his F ups and publishes them. There have been a few videos of his in the past in which he used some chemical in cleaning or did something that warned me that this is what happens...and I am not going to go that route.

And, when there's controversy to this level regarding some guy farting around with old computer shit on youtube....man...we've all really gone pandemic bat-shit, now haven't we?

Well, that all I gotta say about that. My beer is getting warm :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 5

On 11/6/2020 at 12:24 AM, eightbit said:

David is a pretty good guy

Agree. Actually, he’s a great guy and his channel is one of my favorites. If you don’t like his very few mistakes then your choice is to not watch or to make better videos yourselves. I’d watch your channels and probably talk shit about how you all fall short of the 8-bit guy. Seriously, if you can do better let’s see you do it. 

• Like 3

I do not keep an immaculately clean workspace, so no, I wont be doing that.

Also, I dont have a lot of disposable income to be obtaining old treasures with, nor the storage to hold onto them after getting them working again.

If he lived close by, I would be more than happy to help him out if he wanted though. 

If somebody wants to send me some old treasure for restoration, I would happily do it though. Just send return shipping in an envelope or something.  That offer is available for 8-bit guy as well.  I would happily repair his antique IBM workstations for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 2:13 AM, wierd_w said:

Also, I dont have a lot of disposable income to be obtaining old treasures with, nor the storage to hold onto them after getting them working again.

If he lived close by, I would be more than happy to help him out if he wanted though. 

If somebody wants to send me some old treasure for restoration, I would happily do it though. Just send return shipping in an envelope or something.  That offer is available for 8-bit guy as well.  I would happily repair his antique IBM workstations for him.

Ha, I've kind of thought of doing videos as well, but my workspace looks like like someone dumped random computer parts everywhere... well okay, my house kind of looks that way at the moment...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 2:13 AM, wierd_w said:

Two excuses which I’m going to call you out on:

1. It doesn’t take a clean workspace to put yourself out there in video format online. It takes hard work and balls. Anyone can clean up their workshop but not everyone has the balls required to post videos. Your clean workspace excuse is an obvious example of a self-defeating attitude.

2. I’m familiar with the 8-bit guy’s hometown of Kennedale, TX. I assure you it’s not an exclusive area. It’s a nice place full of friendly humble people. If you watched his videos you would see that he cleverly turned a series of tech support jobs into an online career. He’s got over 1million followers because he’s worked his ass off for many years and he’s excellent at his craft. His success is not rooted in money.

You won’t be starting a channel like his because you’re too busy criticizing successful people and making lame excuses.

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 11:52 PM, MikeDijital777 said:

I've had a couple 1 on 1 interactions with this guy ... Arrogant Pompous prick...   Doesn't surprise me captain know it all didn't realize he had a rare machine and hacked at it after he blew it up.....   

Mind filling us in on the details?  If someone's going to be openly called out, it only seems fair to make the complaint known equally-openly.  It's also only fair to give them a chance to respond, and I'll stick my neck out to say that I'll extend the invitation.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Mind filling us in on the details?  If someone's going to be openly called out, it only seems fair to make the complaint known equally-openly.  It's also only fair to give them a chance to respond, and I'll stick my neck out to say that I'll extend the invitation.

Are you his lawyer?  LOL, If its that important to you, the whole thing started as Emailing because he got some info wrong and my dad actually made whatever it was he was talking about, I was really nice about it and he replied in the most dick way, its been so long, and it was so insignificant I don't remember the actual product...  it would have been a parker brothers product, i know that much. Its all documented in the comments section of one of his video's , he even posted the private email between us in the comments .. I have to much going on to research a four year old tiff between me and David.. but if its that important to you, and you have nothing else going on. its all in one of his youtube video comment sections..   Have at it.

Edited by MikeDijital777
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeDijital777 said:

Are you his lawyer?

No.  But coming in here and openly vaguebooking about a personal issue with someone that, frankly, has bugger-all to do with AA is extremely poor form on your behalf.  It's a personal issue; keep it that way.  And if you don't like the response you received, make better decisions in the future.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

No.  But coming in here and openly vaguebooking about a personal issue with someone that, frankly, has bugger-all to do with AA is extremely poor form on your behalf.  It's a personal issue; keep it that way.  And if you don't like the response you received, make better decisions in the future.

Ok captain self important, ill keep that in mind the next time I'm trying to impress you.  does this forum have a block feature?

5 minutes ago, MikeDijital777 said:

Ok captain self important, ill keep that in mind the next time I'm trying to impress you.

I doubt there's much you could do that would impress me.

5 minutes ago, MikeDijital777 said:

does this forum have a block feature?

Absolutely.  Feel free to use it.

By the way, adding in information to a post after it has been quoted in full will still show your post as having been edited.  Compare and contrast:

12 minutes ago, MikeDijital777 said:

Are you his lawyer?

Then, a few minutes later:

13 minutes ago, MikeDijital777 said:

Are you his lawyer?  LOL, If its that important to you, the whole thing started as Emailing because he got some info wrong and my dad actually made whatever it was he was talking about, I was really nice about it and he replied in the most dick way, its been so long, and it was so insignificant I don't remember the actual product...  it would have been a parker brothers product, i know that much. Its all documented in the comments section of one of his video's , he even posted the private email between us in the comments .. I have to much going on to research a four year old tiff between me and David.. but if its that important to you, and you have nothing else going on. its all in one of his yourtube video comment sections..   Have at it.

Not that it really matters; you're still airing your dirty laundry in public and in a place that it has nothing to do with.  Not a great look for you.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mos6507 said:

Hahaha, I have seen this video.  It was epic fail.  We've all done something stupid before (I ruined our 1050 when I was young by opening it up and pulling out the happy chip, ti see what it looked like, then when I put it in, I didn't notice the pins were offset by one row... we had to send it off for repair, and we never saw it again...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Although it is tragic that a rare IBM computer was damaged - really the best thing to have done was just try disks and then stop - but I fail to see why this was really so bad. It literally looks like a POS (point of sale) computer, even some people in here have pointed that out. Even if it's rare, it's a really boring computer and they may very well have been sent there because they didn't work. I don't think most people really care about POS systems that much.

On 3/14/2021 at 7:50 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Now I can say all kinds of naughty things about @MikeDijital777 and he'll never know.  I AM A CRIMINAL MASTERMIND!

Pure gold. Complains about 8-bit guy being pompous and arrogant, then acts in a pompous and arrogant manner when asked to elaborate...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1