IGNORED

Missing Keyboard part for Atari 800xl

fenrock

I recently acquired an Atari 800xl off ebay which I'm in the process of cleaning up.

I've stripped the keyboard to its parts, and in putting it back together after cleaning it, I appear to lost a very small rubber bit from where the keys meet the board, as illustrated here:

missing_keyboard_rubber_bit.thumb.png.df76b15b6f7b856d410a1c2f37fd07d6.png

Does anyone have any spares or know where I could source a replacement?

Gutted I lost one, I think it was attached to the board still and fell off or otherwise made a jump for freedom in me transferring it between rooms.

Needless to say, I'm short a piece and am either going to have to select a key to never use, or find a replacement.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by fenrock

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread a little, I've discovered this is a "type 5" Mitsumi keyboard according to this thread (the label on the bottom of mine is C061988-005, and the PCB has code ATR6-L 56-0327A)

So I'm looking for any spare conductive rubber pads, as illustrated in the first picture to replace the one I lost (the gap):

image.png.30140dc1c31e17c2dbf1a06735154283.png

Individually, the conductive rubber part looks like:

image.png.dc9beea010b6a6d47d45c0cb3656f013.png

Does anyone have any spare ones of these or know where I could get spares?

I'm just going to go without the right shift key for now as the most innocent key to lose.

6 minutes ago, fenrock said:

I'm just going to go without the right shift key for now as the most innocent key to lose.

That would have practically zero impact on me.  Due to extensive Atari 800 use in the 80s, I pretty much never use the right shift key.  Even capital "A", I just shift my left hand one key over and use my pinky on the left shift and my ring finger to press the A key.

Atari "fixed" the issue in subsequent models by swapping the shift & Atari/Inverse keys, but on the 800, I would regularly hit the Atari/Inverse key with my right pinky when trying to press the right shift.  So even though I learned to type properly on an IBM Selectric typewriter (do they even teach typing in school anymore?), I modified my typing method later due to the Atari 800 keyboard layout.  And now, over 35 years later, I still only use the left shift.  Thanks Atari!  ?

Same here, I've been touch typing since I was 10 and I still only use the left shift key on keyboards.

It'd still be nice to get the keyboard fully working though.

I'm holding out for someone with a dead 6/800XL with the same keyboard who can send me one of these conductive rubber pads, or at worst, i'll see if I can create one with a bit of rubber and some conductive rubber repair fluid that you can pick up from amazon.