IGNORED

Attaching a 2600 to a NOT modern tv

Belladonya

Hello! I have a probably stupid dilemma, but no matter how I look high or low, all I can find online is how to connect a 2600 to a modern tv. Well, I don't want to connect it to a modern tv. I have a 2002 pk 4184 tv-radio I want to use. Ports on it? Simple question: it has exactly one; an "Ex Ant" (presumably external antenna) port. There's also an onboard antenna of course. Is there any sort of adapter that can connect the RF cable that came with the atari to it? Or am I just going to need to get an antenna box for the atari and find it's "station"? I feel like it would be better to hardwire it if I can.

Here's an image of both items:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/632360859280211980/759458690280718336/20200925_212739.jpg

It looks to me like you're missing three things: An antenna adapter cable that plugs into the back of the TV in the "ext.ant" connector (custom, see below), a "game/tv" switch box, and a matching transformer (300 ohm to 75 ohm).

That Promo King 5" Portable Black & White TV/Radio should have come with a little bag with an antenna adapter in it.  The external antenna connector ("ext.ant") on your TV is not standard, it should look like a coaxial antenna connector where you screw a coaxial cable onto it (called an "F connector").  Instead it appears that the manufacturer used a cheap headphone audio jack, and who knows how that's actually connected inside the TV.

It does say it's a 75-ohm external antenna connection, so maybe you could hack something together with a male audio connector that fits.  You only need two wires, the ground/shield on the outside of the coaxial cable and the antenna signal wire from the middle of the coaxial cable.  But you'll still need to connect the Atari to the matching transformer and then to the hacked together adapter for your TV.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kevin McGrath said:

It looks to me like you're missing three things: An antenna adapter cable that plugs into the back of the TV in the "ext.ant" connector (custom, see below), a "game/tv" switch box, and a matching transformer (300 ohm to 75 ohm).

That Promo King 5" Portable Black & White TV/Radio should have come with a little bag with an antenna adapter in it.  The external antenna connector ("ext.ant") on your TV is not standard, it should look like a coaxial antenna connector where you screw a coaxial cable onto it (called an "F connector").  Instead it appears that the manufacturer used a cheap headphone audio jack, and who knows how that's actually connected inside the TV.

It does say it's a 75-ohm external antenna connection, so maybe you could hack something together with a male audio connector that fits.  You only need two wires, the ground/shield on the outside of the coaxial cable and the antenna signal wire from the middle of the coaxial cable.  But you'll still need to connect the Atari to the matching transformer and then to the hacked together adapter for your TV.

Thank you! Probably, haha. It's something I had laying around, and I think it's cute.

It's actually not a female audio jack- there's one in the front, and that looks quite different. The inside of the antenna port is too large, and smooth.

I'll look into the transformer!

On 9/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, Gavin1968 said:

If you don't mind my asking, do I need anything else? There's a needle on the female end, which is where I'd assume I'd be putting the Atari cord- but that needle is in the way of the plug/needle in the cord since they're in the same place, right?

38 minutes ago, Belladonya said:

If you don't mind my asking, do I need anything else? There's a needle on the female end, which is where I'd assume I'd be putting the Atari cord- but that needle is in the way of the plug/needle in the cord since they're in the same place, right?

You need one of this:

D_NQ_NP_737525-MLM43362242949_092020-W.j

This goes to the tvs ext ant port.

And also one of this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxIG7mEX3w1ql0ENkF12I

This connects to the plug on the end of the Atari cable. Them you just screw one adapter into the other and thats all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

You need one of this:

D_NQ_NP_737525-MLM43362242949_092020-W.j

This goes to the tvs ext ant port.

And also one of this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxIG7mEX3w1ql0ENkF12I

This connects to the plug on the end of the Atari cable. Them you just screw one adapter into the other and thats all.

Ok cool! what's the first one called/do you have a link?