IGNORED

KickC Optimizing C-Compiler now supports Atari 8bit XL/XE

Quick question, I decided to give KickC a try, I appreciate it's still being developed, I copied a program I had written for cc65,

nothing too fancy in it, but it uses file handling and fails to  find <fcnlt.h> I've got the latest release from GitHub but it doesn't seem to

be in the include directory, does KickC not support file handling yet ?

I working in a port of B2FJ (https://mzattera.github.io/b2fJ/) to Atari 800 XL.

I'm currently using CC65, but the generated binaries seems to be sub-optimal, as there are many JSR calls for stack handling in the generated 6502 code. Also, seems that the default CC65 binaries images don't use all available RAM on Atari.

Will be great if kickc point their efforts to be a drop-in replace for CC65, supporting the same extensions, command-line and arguments than CC65 but with better code generation, then we can port old projects to this new compiler easily.

• Like 1

I see your program display 64K RAM system. Theoretically that's correct, but normally only 48kB is available, because 16kB is overlayed with ROM and hardware registers. If ROM is disabled, you get 14kB of RAM extra, but with a 2kB gap of hardware registers.

14 hours ago, Elkino said:

Will be great if kickc point their efforts to be a drop-in replace for CC65, supporting the same extensions, command-line and arguments than CC65 but with better code generation, then we can port old projects to this new compiler easily.

KickC is not aiming to be "CC65 with better code generation", therefore I doubt this will be ever done.

• Like 2

IMHO it's a good to choice to not make KickC ABI compatible with CC65, because that would mean you are still stuck to the software stack and the same calling conventions.

That does not mean you cannot port or reimplement CC65 libraries for KickC ofcourse :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

Hi,

The author of KickC here.

@ivop and @ilmenit are correct that the goal is not to be a drop-in replacement for cc65. 

What I really want to create is a compiler that allows a programmer who knows C an easy way to get started on any 6502-platform, to be able to create C-programs that runs as fast or faster than naively coded ASM, and finally to be able to seamlessly switch to optimized ASM for any performance-critical parts. 

The semi-prioritized goals of KickC could be stated as: 
1) Generate optimized and readable 6502-family ASM.
2) Support different existing 6502-based hardware platforms.

3) Allow the programmer to utilize the strength of KickAsm.

4) Be standard C compatible.

However, it would be great if porting CC65 programs to KickC was pretty easy to do. For instance CC65 and KickC can and should have a bunch of libraries that are compatible. An existing example of this is the <conio.h> library.

If anyone wants to contribute an implementation of <fcnlt.h> or any other standard C / cc65 library for Atari 8bit I will gladly merge it into the KickC master and include it in future releases.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

/Jesper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2