IGNORED

Average Age of the TI Users Here

Omega-TI

What is your age group within the community.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. I'm in the _____ group.

• 8 to 18 years
    • 19 - 25 years
    • 26 - 30 years
    • 31 - 40 years
    • 41 - 50 years
    • 51 - 60 years
    • 61 - 70 years
    • 71 + group
  2. 2. Are you retired?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which languages do you program in (click all that apply)

• BASIC
    • Extended BASIC
    • Forth (any variant)
    • Assembly Language
    • Other lesser used languages for the TI

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, senior_falcon said:

I don't know. Rich gave that figure and has had a lot longer to test for compatibility issues than I have. As far as I know XB 2.8 G.E.M. is totally compatible with TI BASIC. One possibility is that earlier versions of RXB used the standard random number generator in XB. This gives a different sequence of numbers than the TI BASIC random number generator. If a random number seed is used and the sequence is important then the results will differ. The current version (2015) of RXB cannot use a random number seed. The random numbers in XB 2.8 G.E.M. are identical to those produced in TI BASIC. Of course the flip side is that they are not identical to those produced by normal XB, so it is possible that this change could effect XB programs.

I would not worry about it as like I said neither one of them is ever used but to just deliberately use TI Basic only.

43 minutes ago, senior_falcon said:

You've piqued my curiosity. What features do they use and how do they use them, considering how hard it is to do anything out of the ordinary with TI BASIC?

One of them was a file error that resulted in file access that TI Basic handles differently then XB does, basically scam on how TI Basic handles files vs XB.

I fixed this in XB by not allowing it.

The other I would have to pour over RXB old posts to find it. I think both are there but there are 44 pages in RXB to sift to find it.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/163627-rxb-rich-extended-basic/#comments

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, RXB said:

There are 2 TI Basic programs that crash RXB but both use features only found in GROM2 of TI Basic which of course RXB does not use.

Honestly both are fudging a feature of TI Basic and both are not mentioned anywhere for use.

I did fix one of them so it was not a big problem but did at least error out instead of totally locking up RXB.

The other just crashes like previous one mentioned and will not run. So not a big deal as neither will ever be used.

Now I'm even more curious! What are these 2 mystery programs? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Turns out ROBOPODS is one that needs some adjustment because CALL CHAR behaves differently in BASIC and XB. See page 3 of

"TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled"

Well lets see:

Max Program size increased by XB by 864 bytes. So not really a huge issue.

RXB can use characters 15 and 16 just like TI Basic so no problem there.

RXB keywords may be a problem for XB or RXB running TI Basic but really hard to find keywords that are a problem.

Page 3 only had a mention of TI Basic so then went to PAGE 10 to find this, suppose this was what you ment.

4 hours ago, RXB said:

Page 3 only had a mention of TI Basic so then went to PAGE 10 to find this, suppose this was what you ment.

Right now there are only 3 pages, so I don't see how you were able to go to page 10. The posts are #51,52 and 53 on page 3 of "TI BASIC/EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled."

4 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Right now there are only 3 pages, so I don't see how you were able to go to page 10. The posts are #51,52 and 53 on page 3 of "TI BASIC/EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled."

Oh you wrote this "TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC"  in caps but put games in lower case so I assumed you meant XB Manual page 3.

This time you wrote "TI BASIC/EXTENDED BASIC Games" so I noticed the difference. Honest mistake when emphasis is on something we use caps.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:32 AM, Vorticon said:

Just curious: what's the other 0.1% that trips RXB and XB GEM?

Ok found them:

#1 was:

10 PRINT

LIST 

ACCEPT A

In RXB you can no longer type ACCEPT variable into COMMAND LINE it will error out as "ONLY ALLOWED IN PROGRAM" 

In XB this will work and should not be allowed so you can test this bug.
I do not think any other XB other then RXB has fixed this issue.

#2 was a bug in PRINT that could not be resolved so only solution was a RXB one:

CALL MOVES("VV",736,32,0) :: CALL HCHAR(24,1,31,2,24,3,32,28,24,31,31,2)

The issue is XB SCROLL does not work like TI BASIC scroll so this was used to make it look exactly like PRINT in TI Basic.

From the fix you can see the border character 31 in row 24 columns 1 & 2 & 31 & 32 are not printed in XB SCROLL this will affect some TI Basic games.

XB SCROLL is in Assembly ROMs and is all character 32, with no border character 31 like TI Basic.

• Like 1

That's not what I see. The program below sets ascii 32 to all black, then scrolls 3 times. The border characters are there in both BASIC and XB.

It may be that the original TI XB acts as you describe. I ran this in JS99er. I will check my real XB cartridge tonight.

10 CALL CHAR(32,"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF")

20 PRINT

24 PRINT

26 PRINT

28 GOTO 28

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, senior_falcon said:

That's not what I see. The program below sets ascii 32 to all black, then scrolls 3 times. The border characters are there in both BASIC and XB.

It may be that the original TI XB acts as you describe. I ran this in JS99er. I will check my real XB cartridge tonight.

10 CALL CHAR(32,"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF")

20 PRINT

24 PRINT

26 PRINT

28 GOTO 28

Had to see for myself...