IGNORED

Anyone else think Super Pacman is severely underrated?

ColecoKing

Sorry, but you are completely wrong about this. Super pac-man is completely pattern based, and thats all it is.

You can use patterns to get through every single level. In fact they repeat forever, and you need about 9-12 of

them depending on how good you are.

Using same pattern on later stages as you do for the first several screens is asking for trouble. But once you are in the very late stages you can easily figure out earlier level on REPLAYS. This is something you didn't need to do on Pacman as Super has thinking mans learning curve while Pacman was just getting used to the controls and endurance without much in way of a learning curve.

30 minutes ago, ColecoKing said:

Lol you basically confirm there was no console port at time just computer. Later in compilation yes but not before that.

So, you're agreeing with me. There were plenty of console ports.

You never said when.

later

Edited by negative1

44 minutes ago, ColecoKing said:

Using same pattern on later stages as you do for the first several screens is asking for trouble. But once you are in the very late stages you can easily figure out earlier level on REPLAYS. This is something you didn't need to do on Pacman as Super has thinking mans learning curve while Pacman was just getting used to the controls and endurance without much in way of a learning curve.

As I mentioned, and in the video I posted.

You can just run the first 8 levels with the same pattern.

the first 2 you can max out:

but once you get to level 32, it repeats for the 16 levels forever...

level    color    prize    no blink    note    per fruit
---------------------------------------------------------
max 4x4 ghosts
------------------------
1    blue    apple            10
2    blue    banana        next-intermission 1    20

Run through bonus pattern
-------------------------
3    pink    donut        bonus    30

4    pink    burger            40
5    pink    egg            50
6    pink    corn        next-intermission 2    60

7    purple    sneaker        bonus    70
==========================================================

run through
------------------------------------
8    purple    slice of pie            80
9    purple    pink flower            90
===========================================================

set 1
-------------------
10    purple    avocado            100

11    brown    coffee        bonus- next intermission 3    110

12    brown    mushroom            120

set 2
------------------
13    brown    bell            130
14    brown    cloverleaf            140

15    green    galaxian        bonus    150
==============================================================

set 3
-------------------------------------------------------------------

16    green    present        next-intermisson 4    160
========================
17    green    apple            
18    green    banana            

19    blue    donut        bonus    

set 4
=========================================================
20    blue    burger        next-intermission 4    
21    blue    egg            
22    blue    corn            

23    pink    sneaker        bonus    
24    pink    slice of pie        next-intermission 4    
25    pink    pink flower        

set 5
---------------------------------    
26    pink    avocado    no blink        

27    purple    coffee        bonus    

-------------------------------------
28    purple    mushroom    no blink    next-intermission 4    
29    purple    bell    no blink        
30    purple    cloverleaf        

31    brown    galaxian        bonus

First LOOP

This repeats forever
====================================================================
32    brown    present    no blink    next-intermission 4
====================================================================

--------------
33    brown    apple    
34    brown    banana        
35    green    donut        bonus

--------------
36    green    burger    no blink    next-intermission 4

37    green    egg    no blink    
38    green    corn        

39    blue    sneaker        bonus

--------------------------
40    blue    slice of pie    no blink    next-intermission 4

---------------------------
41    blue    pink flower    no blink    
42    blue    avocado        

43    pink    coffee        bonus

-----------------------
44    pink    mushroom    no blink    next-intermission 4

-----------------------
45    pink    bell    no blink    
46    pink    cloverleaf        

47    purple    galaxian        bonus

LOOP 2 - etc (repeats every 16)
---------------------------------------------
48    purple    present    no blink    next-intermission 4

i was messing around in this game, and got to 600k:

once i get the loop down, it shouldn't be too hard to get to a 1,000,000 and quit.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

Wait, which console ports... other than homebrews?  I think some people (myself included) make a distinction between a compilation of emulated coin-op versions of games and an actual port to specific hardware, which was a unique implementation.  Doesn't really matter one way or another, toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

If there was an actual port to a classic console, it'd be cool.  I would like to check out the 7800 homebrew at some point.

So, you're agreeing with me. There were plenty of console ports.

You never said when.

Why would I mention no console port under comment about people talking about A8 computer version if I was talking about compilation years later? Even that there still aren't plenty just some.

There were no official console port still very strange to me since it was slightly popular. But there were many Namco games not brought to console then maybe it have to do with Midway publishing agreement causing some mistrust.

Well as we all know there was the 5200 port. It just never got released.  

Just yet another 5200 title that had we seen it during the 5200's actual lifetime would have made such a huge impact at least for me in my regard for the 5200 library, along with Jr. Pacman, Millipede, Stargate, and maybe Blaster and Tempest (although that obviously wasn't finished until recent years). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 6:25 PM, Cafeman said:

Agreed. At first the A8/5200 port seems impressive, but its not a lot of fun to play.  The coin-op version is so much better programmed and fun. I played it for a long time at the last Replay FX show.   

I'd love to know when it was first cracked/ported (or re-ported) to the A8 from the 5200. I played it a LOT in the '80s, and had the first title screen in a game that I can remember that paid tribute to "Glenn the 5200 Man".

• 2 weeks later...

There is a GBC version of Super Pac-Man, either coupled with the GBC version of Pac-Man, or the GBC version of Ms Pac-Man. One of the other, either regular Pac,or the Missus, has Pac-Attack.

Edit: Super Pac is coupled with Ms Pac-Man, Pac-Attack with Pac-Man on the GBC.

Edited by Bloodreign
  • Like 2

I'm probably not the only one who suffered from franchise fatigue with PacMan back then.   I played a lot of Pacman and MsPacman, but by the time Jr Pacman, Baby Pacman, Super Pacman, Pacmania, etc came out,  I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

So I could see Super Pacman or any other the other Pacman sequels being underrated gems that were ignored by a public that was looking for something else at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember being really into Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man and Baby Pac-Man when they were new. Super Pac-Man didn't make sense to me straightaway. After that I don't remember seeing any newer Pac-Man games in arcades. Never happened to see Jr. Pac-Man or Pac-Mania. By the time there were good SMS, NES and Genesis/MD versions of the original Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, it seemed a bit old fashioned to me as I was just always into the newest types of games. Nowadays I can see that the older styles have stood the test of time better than the newer in many cases.

• 2 years later...

Ohyea, speaking of Super Pac-Mobile... 

Awhile ago I actually made a mockup of what the lost J2ME/BREW port was like. (The American version, not the European version with the Pac-Mania graphics that's available everywhere on the web.)

For the footage, I used the PalmOS port, because it's the only version available. As for the sounds and the first intermission, they're both recreations. I even went as far as using CMX Studio for the MIDIs to make it more authentic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CosmicToons said:

Ohyea, speaking of Super Pac-Mobile... 

Awhile ago I actually made a mockup of what the lost J2ME/BREW port was like. (The American version, not the European version with the Pac-Mania graphics that's available everywhere on the web.)

For the footage, I used the PalmOS port, because it's the only version available. As for the sounds and the first intermission, they're both recreations. I even went as far as using CMX Studio for the MIDIs to make it more authentic.

WOW. i have been looking for this for years now.

i had a regular phone with JAVA emulator with this enhanced version, but could never find the rom.

i mentioned this earlier, with screenshots, also made my own PC version called Super Ms. Pac-man

with those mazes

i tried this version out, its a little slow, but ok, and the sound does work.

also, i really like the enhanced mode. there are some cool differences besides the mazes,

.. also i remember there are different power ups, so i will

replay it and check it out.

thanks

later

|| || | | | || 

ne gative 1

Edited by negative1

14 hours ago, negative1 said:

WOW. i have been looking for this for years now.

i had a regular phone with JAVA emulator with this enhanced version, but could never find the rom.

i mentioned this earlier, with screenshots, also made my own PC version called Super Ms. Pac-man

with those mazes

i tried this version out, its a little slow, but ok, and the sound does work.

also, i really like the enhanced mode. there are some cool differences besides the mazes,

.. also i remember there are different power ups, so i will

replay it and check it out.

thanks

later

|| || | | | || 

ne gative 1

Yea it's a very rare port. Do you still have the phone, and are you able to dump the files?

Personally I like Super Pac-Man better than regular Pac-Man as I find it more entertaining and eye-catching than the original.  As far as it being underrated, I don't know if I would go that far.  I would say, though, that it might be a little underappreciated considering just how many maze games there are not to mention all of the games in the franchise.  I think it just has gotten lost in the shuffle a bit if anything.  Just my two cents on the topic.

I have always been a casual-at-best Pac-Man player/fan, going all the way back to the early 80s when I was introduced to it on the 2600.  

I enjoy pretty much all the original Pac-Man games at least a little bit, but Super Pac is definitely the one I find to be the most fun.  

IMO it does qualify as "underrated" because outside of retro gamer circles I don't see anybody even knowing what Super Pac-Man is.  Everyone seems to know Pac and Ms. Pac, but Super might as well not even exist to most people, in my experience.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CosmicToons said:

i've been drowned out lol

sorry for the late response.

no, the phone died ages ago. but it's pretty much exactly like the palm version.

the only thing was the screen was square, so the interface move the score and other

items to the right.

later

||| || | ||

neg ative 1

On 5/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, negative1 said:

sorry for the late response.

no, the phone died ages ago. but it's pretty much exactly like the palm version.

the only thing was the screen was square, so the interface move the score and other

items to the right.

later

||| || | ||

neg ative 1

Exactly like the Palm version, only difference being the size and layout?

So like, the sounds were still samples instead of MIDIs? Because that's what I'm most intrigued about, as I have a couple mods of the absolutely terrible European version that could really benefit from said MIDIs.